The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Wheatland Hunt Cup

Home Forums Horse Racing Wheatland Hunt Cup

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    paieye
    • Total Posts 8

(I am not sure whether point-to-pointing is a subject for this site, so please bear with me if it is not.)

I am trying to trace the results for an owner called Lord Acton, who on 3 occasions owned the winner of the above race, probably in the early 1930s.  His horses were Jokanaan and Cook’s Joy.  He was twice the winning rider, and on I believe the 3rd occasion a rider called Charles Garnett rode the winner for him.

Can anyone help ?

Many thanks !

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Hello Paieye, there are a few P2P enthusiasts on here, but I don’t know if their memories stretch back that far. :)

I would imagine that the hunt which staged the event would have records of the result. If you know which one it was you should be able to find their address by googling.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Point to Point discussions more than welcome Paieye.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’ve gone back to the 1937 PtP season Paieye and nothing there for any of the connections or horses you mention.  

I’ll keep digging and get back to you.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

In 1933 the Wheatland Hunt Cup was won by Lord Acton’s Jokanaan ridden by the owner on 4th May at Haughton, Nr Bridgenorth.  He beat Humourist ( Mr W E Downes) and Vincent (Mr Tanner riding for Mr C E Garnett).    Golden Sand finished 2nd but was disqualified for taking the wrong course.

In 1934 the race was won by Mr W E Downes’ The General, ridden by his owner.  I’ve no record of Jokanaan or Cooks Joy running that year.

I therefore suspect that Lord Acton must have won in 1931 and 1932 but don’t have any records for this years.

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

"I therefore suspect that Lord Acton must have won in 1931 and 1932 but don’t have any records for this years."

How very remiss of you Adrian, you should have scribbled some notes in your racecard.

paieye
    • Total Posts 8

I have established that Jokanaan also won in 1930 (owner up), so I have now got 2 out of 3 !  Thank you VERY much for helping.  

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Paieye I’m fascinated to know how you came by the result of the 1930 Wheatland Hunt Cup.  

My earliest form book is the 1933 Point to Point Calendar.  Although I’ve got earlier racecards I’ve got not text books.

Did you find some sort of form book or did you research it through the Hunt.  If you’ve got a book on the subject I’d be interested to know its title.<br>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.