The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What keeps owners in racing when 60% of horses fail to win?

Home Forums Horse Racing What keeps owners in racing when 60% of horses fail to win?

Viewing 13 posts - 18 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

I wouldn’t know the reality but I’d be amazed if the number of owners routinely profiting from laying wasn’t an extremely small proportion of all owners.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1334

Joe , the answer is really obvious ….they are laying them to cover costs , end of stoty

why else would you have a horse in training if you could not recoup costs , unless you can really afford it as outlined

Time to face the reality

Ricky

Most show horses don’t win any prize money, but people still keep them in training. Can’t even bet on them.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Mike , you could possibly be right , alas I cant see it though

lets stay real , 10 horses travelling to one of the sandpits of shame , to compete in one race for prize money of 2500 in total

Most of this is the low level crap that punters are presented with in winter , can you imagine they all do it for fun ???

Can you imagine what it costs to send horses /grooms/drivers …pay jockeys etc per horse , and do you really think they get away with 250 a head ……no way Sir , …..so maybe a few discreet mates do a bit of laying to ease the burden so to speak …..get my drift !!

Just my opinion of course 8)

cheers

Ricky

Have you ever heard a nightingale sing?

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Mike , you could possibly be right , alas I cant see it though

lets stay real , 10 horses travelling to one of the sandpits of shame , to compete in one race for prize money of 2500 in total

Most of this is the low level crap that punters are presented with in winter , can you imagine they all do it for fun ???

Can you imagine what it costs to send horses /grooms/drivers …pay jockeys etc per horse , and do you really think they get away with 250 a head ……no way Sir , …..so maybe a few discreet mates do a bit of laying to ease the burden so to speak …..get my drift !!

Just my opinion of course 8)
    cheers

Ricky

Have you ever heard a nightingale sing?

He has. He shot it.

Mike

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Joe , the answer is really obvious ….they are laying them to cover costs , end of stoty

why else would you have a horse in training if you could not recoup costs , unless you can really afford it as outlined

Time to face the reality

Ricky

It doesn’t matter what happens Ricky, according to you we can enjoy racing unfettered now!

Your hypocrisy is stultifying.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Seems to me I recall Peter O’Sullivan saying he was in horses for many(twenty) years before he got into a winner.Correct the figures.Love of the sport kept his interest alive.

cjboy
    • Total Posts 127

Well it’s pushing me out

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29188

Owners of horses in the lowest half of the lowest class should be grateful of getting any money back. These horses should

not

be good enough to win races.

Quality of racing should be upgraded, not downgraded.

Value Is Everything
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Owners of horses in the lowest half of the lowest class should be grateful of getting any money back. These horses should

not

be good enough to win races.

Quality of racing should be upgraded, not downgraded.

That can only happen if the quantity of races is trimmed by at least 20%. Prize money for some classes of racing is less now than 20 years ago, without even allowing for the fact it has not kept pace with costs. Racing sells itself short by offering such a shoddy product.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29188

If "Racing" can’t afford to put up fair prize-money for the poorest grade EF, they should get rid of the grade entirely.

Yes, there are too many poor grade horses around. Although no breeder actively wants to breed these animals, breeders know their safety net is lower than it once was. Resulting in more poor quality horses.

Value Is Everything
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

If Racing were run as a business, like breeding, rather than in the shamateurish fashion that currently pervades, they might actually produce a something that is economically viable. At present, the very good racing is keeping the very poor racing on life support. If the current situation is allowed to persist, the very good is more likely to be dragged down than the opposite scenario.
    Of course, it is not merely a case of saying our industry can only sustain X foals being produced each year, but too many horses are in training that have no right to be. The harsh reality of a cull of perfectly healthy animals (from the training ranks at least) is an economic necessity due to over-production.

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

We can put on and sustain racing from a cost base no one in the world can match. We are the world leaders in the supply of efficient economical straight racing.

The problem is we cannot reap a deserved reward for driving down costs because we cannot export our betting products into protectionist & monopolistic foreign regimes.

There is nothing wrong with our racing it is great. (Apart from NH of course which is a cruel anachronistic pursuit which should have been done away with years ago.)

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The more horses you own the more losers you own.It is not about percents it is about being able to buy or breed the best.

Viewing 13 posts - 18 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.