The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Unknown Soldiers

Home Forums Horse Racing Unknown Soldiers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1023

Always a downer to spot a badly injured “gone wrong” animal when dropping into the bookies. Which poor horse was it at Down Royal in one of the late races at the final fences yesterday? Ballymoney? Spotted another one mid-race at Hereford this evening! Instead of completely sanitising the National I wish they’d make the low level daily fare less attritional and indeed deadly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2763

Haven’t heard anything about Down Royal. A pulled up horse was reported to have broken a blood vessel. Hopefully that was all. I agree 100% though. British racing is awful for this but Irish racing is worse. Henning took what looked like a fatal fall at Ballinrobe today but can’t find any information either way.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1023

Didn’t realise a horse with a broken blood vessel could present like a gone wrong animal, Tonge. It was the Commentator who mentioned that the Hereford runner had gone wrong this evening.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7348

“Which poor horse was it at Down Royal in one of the late races at the final fences yesterday? Ballymoney?”

Yes, Ballymoney. Racing Post /sportinglife notes says PU before the last but that’s incorrect- he jumped the last and went very obviously wrong possibly right fore fracture on landing and was pulled up.

“The Raceday Stewards interviewed Mr. H.C. Swan, rider of Ballymoney, in relation to his failure to pull up his mount. Evidence was heard from the rider concerned. Mr. H.C. Swan stated that his mount has a tendency to jam on before his fences and at the second last fence he meets it wrong but stated that he felt he had a full horse underneath him. Having viewed a recording of the race and considered the evidence the Raceday Stewards were satisfied that Mr. H.C. Swan was in breach of Rule 216(ii)(b) and having taken his previous record into account they suspended him for two racedays. This enquiry followed a report from the IHRB Veterinary Officer to the Raceday Stewards concerning the circumstances surrounding the incident”

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1023

Thanks for that, Green. I wasn’t seeing things! I would like to see jockeys jump off stricken horses ASAP even if there is increased chance of minor wrist/ankle injury.

To keep things in perspective we were told on Kentucky Derby night that of 17,779 horses born in the US in 2021 9,483 started a race (53%) I hope that doesn’t mean the other 8,286 end up in the glue factory!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2763

It doesn’t usually zilzal but a jockey pulling up suddenly without any obvious error can make you suspect an injury in absence of any accurate information. Even more disgusting that the Racing Post report doesn’t even get the basic facts right about Ballymoney. 2 days suspension for an amateur who probably only rides at weekends is pathetic too.

I assume the Hereford horse was Henri Le Bon as he was “pulled up quickly” after the 1st, but there are no comments at all for the previous race and 5 pulled up so who knows?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3825

Tonge, the horse at Ballinrobe you might be thinking of is probably the Luke Comer trained Fourbi. This is most likely the one that fell two out and remained paralyzed after doing so. Just look through his form and ask the trainer why a horse like him is allowed to compete.
    Three runs over fences in the space of three weeks for a 9-year old starting at SPs of 200/1, 100/1 and 200/1.
    I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think so.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3825

Agree with zilzal, the best trained and cared after horses in the game run in the GN. But, who speaks out for the class 5 or 6 selling candidates?
    Everything about welfare seems to be forgotten after Aintree.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2763

It was definitely Henning Ruby. Racing TV’s replay of Je T’Ai Port winning the 7.50 sensitively shows her lying on the ground in the background with her jockey at her head. Hopefully Fourbi is OK but, as you say, he’s not a racehorse.

Helcatmudwrestler
    Participant
    • Total Posts 291

Zilzal, out of the other 8286, a big number will be exported out US as foal, yearlings , others gone via breeze up sales .Only May of 3 year old year so plenty still to debut , some will be retired as broodmare without running . A few no doubt will be destined to be destroyed , too small, dodgy limbs or any number of ailments preventing running fast , some might have passed on already , but number of wastage will be lot lot lower that 8286 .

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1023

Thanks for insight, Helcat. I imagine that the fillies are luckier than the colts.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1650

Also hundreds of unraced TBs are adopted out to pleasure/sporthorse homes by aftercare organizations and by individual trainers/owners in the US every year.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7348

“Henning took what looked like a fatal fall at Ballinrobe today but can’t find any information either way.”

Just came 2nd in a beginners’ chase to Saylavee :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2763

Excellent news. Thanks Green

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1023

I take it that horse and jockey in the 3.28 at Ludlow are ok – another betting shop spot!

It was Zucayan. I hope he and Nick Slatter aren’t too sore this morning.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1023

Five of the ten runners pulled up in the 5.05 at Ffos Las. Was the ground really good?

It didn’t look good for one of them. Don’t suppose anyone knows if there were any casualties. Will hardly find it in the RP.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9142

I’m still worrying about the horse I saw that was put into a horse ambulance at Kelso last week.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.