The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Troytown 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Troytown 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059

No market yet, but usual strong entry here…..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/193/navan/2020-11-08/770342

Not surprisingly, more than a few jumping out…

Milan Native – Really big fancy of mine for Aintree, and any hopes I had for him being a potential Graded Horse, we’re quickly put to bed by Minella Indo yesterday. Questionable whether he’ll back out so soon after that. I think he’s a very nice horse, but perhaps they’ll look to trim a few pounds off now before the spring.

Death Duty – A long time sine he got his head in front, but they’re persevering with him, and with another preseason into him, I’d expect him to be back close to the level he was at before his setback. Holds an entry for Down Royal on Saturday, so that’s maybe the priority, but he catches my eye here. I’d prefer to see him back up in trip, and he’s chucked in if he is back to near his best.

Spyglass Hill – Pulled up the last twice, but had his excuses, particularly at Listowel. Market support was noted there, and I’m convinced he has a race of this stature in him.

Fitzhenry – Second in this last year, and fresh from a “quiet” spin over hurdles the other day. He’s weighted to repeat last years effort. A solid, consistent, likeable type, who has the look of an each way banker about him.

Ten Ten – Course form, and he’s been on my radar since his Navan win last year. The entry for The WKD Hurdle this weekend puts me off beforehand though, and not an Antepost proposition. Interesting horse this season.

Aforementioned – Big enough hike for his Munster National win, but he was impressive enough, and he’s certainly going the right way.

Minella Times – Had him in mind for this since his win here in The Foxrock last season, and he looks a big player. Hardly hammered for his win in The Southampton Plate, and he’s hard to pick holes in.

Scoir Mear – Absolutely hacked up at Wexford at the weekend, having caught the eye in The Munster National, and he should improve again for the step back up in trip. Hard to predict, but big player if in the mood.

Walk Away – Subject of significant support in The Munster National, and hadn’t been asked a question when he tipped up. Promising type who represents last years winning connections, and expected to be bang there.

Portmore Lough – 3rd in this last year, and showed he’s as good as ever, when chafing home Aforementioned at Limerick. When he stands up, he’s very good, and he has to be given a live chance here. On nice mark.

At The Acorn – He’s better judged on his run at The Dublin Festival last year, rather than his recent quiet runs over hurdles. I thought he’d be ideal for The Paddy Power Chase over Christmas, but equally interesting here, with a couple of spins over hurdles under his belt. Proper dark horse here.

General Principle – Doesn’t have the best of records in this, my pockets will confirm that, and he’s perhaps not one to catch first time out. However, he’s survived another Gigginstown cull, and he’s incredibly well treated, considering some of his efforts in the past. Maybe one for later in the season, but he’s on a great mark. I could be tempted on the day with maximum EW places.

The Jam Man – Rarely seen over the larger obstacles, but an eyecatching entry if nothing else. The ability is certainly there.

Mr Diablo – He’s got his work cut out to scrape in, but has a big chance if he does. Proved he’s as good as ever at Galway in The Summer, and placed in this two years back, he’s not to be underestimated.

Real tough one then, and that lots just scratching the surface. I’m glad it’s not priced up yet, as I could bet any of them.

Gun to my head, and forced to pick one, then maybe Fitzhenry, but I’d be happy with most of the above, and I’ll hold off as long as possible. I’ll certainly be watching the market though, once formed.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059

General Principle has an entry in The Cork National on Sunday, and a nice spin round there could get me interested for this.

Doesn’t really fit my profile for this, but interesting nonetheless. I’d have no concerns with seeing him getting a quick turnaround.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

I’ll miss being there this year, but this is still one of my favourite races.

I like two of those that you mentioned. I think that at this stage I’ll be betting Walk Away, though Fitzhenry really does have a nice ew look about him.

I also like Elwood, and I’ll definitely be betting him if he runs.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059

Autumnal, looking through this again, and agree on Elwood on second viewing.

He’s well on the shortlist now, and can take the place of General Principle, who surely won’t be going now after that today at Cork.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2330

Elliott and Gigginstown seem to hold a strong hand in this. Aforementioned is on a roll and Elwood might be well in. Fizhenry could go well again,I backed him twice last season including in this, Flemensfirth’s are 0 from 14 in this race though. Minella Times is interesting, he’s an Oscar who are 0 from 9 in this race however. Don’t know how significant Sire trends will be for this year’s race but thought I’d let you know.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059

Cheers Mike, that’s noted

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059

Love a decent Antepost on this, but can’t whittle down the shortlist any further…

Aforementioned
    At The Acorn
    Elwood
    Fitzhenry
    Scoir Mear
    Portmore Lough

At The Acorn is the one for money, but I can’t help thinking about him at Leopardstown this Christmas, while Fitzhenry at 16’s is probably the most overpriced, especially with five places offered, but no option but to wait now.

Elwood probably shading it as #1 for me, but it’s also hard to rule out further progression from Aforementioned.

Portmore Lough some price if you could guarantee he’ll jump round, while Scoir Mear did win very easily last time.

Tough one right now.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2330

Aforementioned would require a 7lb claimer again I feel. And then if Jack Kennedy chooses Elwood amongst the others then I got the race sussed. Haha.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2875

The one that interests me and looks sure to run is Brace Yourself. He’s had a fairly in + out career so far, threatening to look a good horse before throwing in a few howlers. Meade’s local track, he had the winner in 18 and has had a fair few placed. Looked decent chase reappearance and then also when behind Paken’s Rock over 2m2. He jumped a couple iffy that day and i hope a step up in trip will help his jumping. He’s quite inexperienced over fences, but i suppose 4 chases and a point is hopefully enough. He was sitting in 4th when falling at Leopardstown in a hot beginners last year, not sure to have troubled the front 2 (Easy game and Allaho), but worth considering the likes of Choungaya 137 + Walk Away 136) were 4th and 5th. So his run could have been potentially decent. Walk Away went off a well punted 3/1 in the Munster National.
    Handles all ground and being 2nd in a point suggests the 3mile should be within his range.

14/1

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 82

You’re in the same boat as me Jack, I’ll be with Brace Yourself as well. Only if he is declared though, I’m not going early.

I will also cover Aforementioned if he goes.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1320

Am I the only one who gets the Noddy theme song in their head whenever they see this thread title? :whistle:

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3415

Discordantly has been targeted at this and was given a lovely reappearance ride which should have helped his confidence. He made some mistakes last year but jumped well at Galway which is not easy.
    The last two winners of this did not disgrace themselves in the JNwine-that-was and I think he may be a similar type. I hope the forecast showers arrive on Sunday morning to keep the ease in the ground.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2875

Well, after Meade stating Brace Yourself was his Troytown runner he’s no longer a runner! Back to the drawing board.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2330

Moyhenna 14-1 ew 6 places is my pick. The 7lb claimer on board clinched it for me as it means an 18lb turnaround on the winner and 15lb turnaround on the runner up from last time. Whatever happens on Sunday i can’t ignore them numbers :yes: .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.