The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TRF AWARDS 2011 – The Results

Home Forums Archive Topics TRF AWARDS 2011 – The Results

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

Many thanks to all who nominated or voted. Some great nominations and, as usual, the TRF voters have made some fantastic choices for the award recipients in the ONLY racing awards that really matter. :wink:

POSTER OF THE YEAR – The big one. This year joint winners from different ends of the TRF spectrum. Racing systems (Ward 7) stalwart BILLION gets very deserved recognition from fellow systemites while the enigmatic and polarising presence that is KINGFISHER also manages to get his name onto the TRF roll of honour. The ying and the yang one might say.

FLAT JOCKEY – Very, very well deserved award for HAYLEY TURNER. Those of you as old as me will remember a time when women jockeys were no more than a novelty. Following in the path forged by such as Elaine Mellor and Alex Greaves, Hayley Turner’s ride in the July Cup was somehow a coming of age for the fair sex. Not only a great jockey but a fantastic ambassador for the sport too. Deserves every bit of success that comes her way.

JOURNALIST – Bit thin this year (drew an ‘erm’ from Gamble) and winner MATT CHAPMAN not renowned for sparkling prose but he does do a great interview and is a guy who isn’t afraid to ask the tough questions so another deserved recipient IMO.

RACECOURSE – Another win for CHELTENHAM following last year’s victory. Sparkling racecourse which hosts some of the best sporting action of ANY sport in this country.

VILLAIN – I thought that the BHA (or even me) might be a shoo-in but HOWARD JOHNSON won by a landslide. And another very well deserved recognition, perhaps the most well deserved of any this year.

BROADCASTER – Nick Luck and Lydia Hislop shared this in 2009. Lydia then won in 2010 but it was NICK LUCK’s turn this year to get his revenge.

ONE TO WATCH – Joint winners here again and a great result for the north as KEITH DALGLEISH and LUCY ALEXANDER share the spoils. Great stuff, both great talents full of promise.

RIDING PERFORMANCE – TIMMY MURPHY won this year for his ride on Poker De Sivola in the Bet365 Gold Cup (Whitbread). A ride that somehow defined and typified the way Murphy has been thrilling us throughout his career.

COMMENTATOR – Richard Hoiles and Simon Holt dominated once again (no one else has ever won this category). Hoiles won in 2007 and 2008 with Simon Holt taking the spoils in 2009 and 2010. RICHARD HOILES has come back to regain the title this year in fairly convincing fashion. We all have our favourite voices and styles when it comes to commentators but these two are consistently up at the very pinnacle of their profession. Well done Richard.

HERO – I’m delighted that THE TATLING won this after the fairytale end to his fantastic career. Some great nominations too including the Injured Jockeys Fund, in a year when racing was challenged by a series of horrific accidents.

JUMPS HORSE – Hurdlers dominated this year with BIG BUCK’S just holding off Hurricane Fly to land the title by a single point.

JUMPS TRAINER – Slight surprise here (to me at any rate) as DONALD McCAIN romped away with it, winning by a clear margin. A Grand National, the Pitmen’s Derby/Fighting Fifth double with Overturn and a fantastic year for Peddlers Cross were some of the key highlights in a great year for Donald. Sad year too with the passing of his father Ginger. Great for both that he lived to see his son lift that Grand National trophy.

JUMP JOCKEY – He may have been deposed by Mark Cavendish as Sports Personality of the Year but AP McCOY remains a firm favourite among the TRF audience.

OWNER – Frankel has given KHALED ABDULLAH a fitting reward for so many, many years of benevolence and support. His good sportsmanship and reserved demeanour have won him a growing number of admirers over the years so it was good to see him reverse last year’s 1-2 placing by seeing off JP McManus this time around.

FLAT HORSE – Who else? FRANKEL wins with the highest individual score in any category this year. What fantastic news he is to race at four. I, for one, will be travelling to the other end of the country (unless he runs at Musselburgh) to see him and you can bet your bottom dollar many thousands of racefans will be doing the same. Nothing does racing more good than real, true champions and he is one of the biggest stars we’ve EVER had. Still don’t know what height he is though – I’ve emailed Sir Henry but, as yet, no reply!

FLAT TRAINER – Talking of the great man himself. I was lucky enough to have met teh great SIR HENRY CECIL at Cheltenham this year – and have a pic taken by TRF’er MULLY (Tracy Roberts of Turfpix) to prove it – and what a star he was that day, donning leprechaun’s hats, making time for everyone who wanted to say hello AND saddling a winner to boot. He’s led a colourful life, and will have a few regrets no doubt, but the way he has battled personal and professional demons to come back from what looked a terminal decline as a trainer to not only win classics but to train what may arguably be the best horse most of us have ever seen, or are likely to ever see, has been something of a fairytale. Legends are rare commodities but he is one, no doubt whatsoever about that.

And that concludes the TRF Awards for yet another year. Been going 5 years now – I’ll update the honour roll over the holidays. I’ll also try to contact the winners.

Thanks again nominators and voters.

Richard Hoiles
    • Total Posts 197

Thanks very much to all.

Have great Xmas and all the very best for 2012 and look forward to bumping into many of you at various places up and down the country !

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I’ll also try to contact the winners.

You will have to let us know Howard Johnson’s response.

Well done to you David – another good, but at times trying, year for the forum.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3859

Bob D’een Lyrics

Congratulations to the winners
    But what oh what of the losers
    and their lost sons the headless sinners ?
    It’s been a hard, its been a hard
    it’s been a hard crying year
    for the talking thin masses
    its been a hard hard year
    for the chattering classes :(

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.