The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Top Ten English Jockeys

Home Forums Horse Racing Top Ten English Jockeys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Lester Piggott,<br>Richard Johnson,

After racking my brain I could only think of two, that small nation Ireland seems to have a plethora of them.

The last 30 years, dont want anyone coming up with Fred Archer and Gordon Richards.

(Edited by madman marz at 6:48 am on May 20, 2007)

If anyone can find 10 top English jockeys, I will streak naked down the Ascot straight during the Queens parade. No danger because there hasnt been 10 top English jockeys

<br>(Edited by madman marz at 6:51 am on May 20, 2007)

Yet another edit. Just thought of another one Ryan Moore. Remember now they have to be "GOOD" like dont go giving me Greville Starkey [ wouldnt ride Cathy Barry ].<br>

(Edited by madman marz at 7:09 am on May 20, 2007)

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Johnny Francome wasn’t too bad and I’d certainly have Frankie in there :cool:

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from yeats on 8:24 am on May 20, 2007[br]Johnny Francome wasn’t too bad and I’d certainly have Frankie in there :cool:

Thats four Yeats, is Frankie not Italian ?

Keats and Yeats are on your side, but the love of Wilde is on mine.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

I’ve been wracking my brains madman, what about Peter Scudamore, Graham Bradley, Darryll Holland and Seb Sanders. We must have nearly 10 now :biggrin:

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from yeats on 8:40 am on May 20, 2007[br]I’ve been wracking my brains madman, what about Peter Scudamore, Graham Bradley, Darryll Holland and Seb Sanders. We must have nearly 10 now :biggrin:

Bradley stopped too many horses, so he is omitted, Scudamore "maybe" get out in front on Pipe good things too easy, omitted aswell.<br>Darryl Holland would find trouble in an old folks home, omitted.<br>Sanders now thats five. 5 to go.<br>Of course its only my opinion !

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Any list is incomplete without Patrick Millington, Phillip Pritchard, Ann Stokell, Kristin Stubbs or David Pitcher. :biggrin:

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Jeff King qualifies from the last 30 years so you can’t omit him and what about that man Hanagan?

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 252

Quote: from madman marz on 6:45 am on May 20, 2007[br]If anyone can find 10 top English jockeys, I will streak naked down the Ascot straight during the Queens parade. <br>

Then, get ready to get yer kit off!!!

Whatabout McCoy, Dunwoody, Dobbin???<br>That’s without even thinking about it ……….. give me ten seconds and I’ll come up with ten top ones!

I dunno how strong you are on geography Madman, but Norn Ireland is part of the U.K. last time I looked! <br>:cool:

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

But not part of England.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 252

Definitely not part of Republic of Ireland either.

Fact is, Madman, only two of the ten all-time winningmost NH riders are from "Ireland". Know who they are???

Maybe not  ………… Aderian Maquire and Norman Williamson!

Now, funnily enough, I’m from Ireland but I have no problem admitting to this statistic. The top jocks are actually U.K. born and bred.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 252

Hmmm, yes Venusian, you’re right ………… the thread title specifies ENGLISH jocks.<br>Sorry. I dived in prematurely.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from hoofhearted on 9:48 am on May 20, 2007[br]Hmmm, yes Venusian, you’re right ………… the thread title specifies ENGLISH jocks.<br>Sorry. I dived in prematurely.

Even so hoof, that place usually defines its self by religion.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

How the hell can you omit Scu? I don’t give a toss if he put in a bad ride now and again, or if he just happened to be stable jockey for Pipe, he’s in the top 5 for most NH wins ever! Can you really say he wasn’t a top jockey? You’d definitely struggle to name 10 Irish that were better.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Joe Mercer, Jimmy Lindley, Paul Cook, Paul Kellaway, Josh Gifford, Terry Biddlecombe, Stan Mellor, Richard Pitman

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Quote: from insomniac on 10:21 am on May 20, 2007[Richard Pitman

No need to get carried away insomniac, even I wouldn’t include him :lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.