The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time to stop screening/funding all meetings?

Home Forums Horse Racing Time to stop screening/funding all meetings?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4711

There are TEN meetings in the UK and Ireland tomorrow (nine of which are one channel, I’m told).

Now I have no issue with these ten fixtures taking place if they can all stand on their own two feet commercially and turn a profit based on gate revenue etc on the day.

But does the off-course industry really need pictures of ten meetings and should media rights payments be being made to ten tracks?

Isn’t it time to cap what the off-course market actually purchases broadcast pictures of and contributes financially towards?

To me, this is saturation coverage and the economic law of diminishing returns must set in at some point.

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 795

The trouble is that different punters will want to back horses at different tracks so how do you decide which meetings to blackout.

I’m working tomorrow but if I was off I’d be looking forward to seeing the first meeting at Cartmel this year with some cracking prize money. But others would rather bet on the class sixes at Catterick. With excellent prize money at Haydock, Chester, Chelmsford and Beverley i’m not sure who you leave out.

The only thing I would like to see is less big races on Saturdays and more on Sundays.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3159

7 meetings tomorrow afternoon on Racing TV – What a turn off.

How has The Ebor benefitted from moving to a Saturday?

BHA mentioned culling 300 races a couple of weeks ago, some people were up in arms at that. Need to cull about 10 times that amount for starters.

Of course nothing will change, the sport will just stumble on with no leadership from those in charge.

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 79

Therein lies the problem Yeats. As we currently have a Tripartite system in place, no-one is in charge!

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 143

Couldn’t the BHA just provide officials etc for a maximum number of meetings and stop racecourse racing that way??

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3159

I had no financial interest but was enjoying the finish of an exciting race Stratford when it suddenly went split screen with the start of a mediocre hurdle at Limerick. The horses at Limerick were on the distant horizon and it was impossible to make out what was happening at Limerick even if you were interested.
    I immediately lost interest in the Stratford race which was totally spoiled and couldn’t tell you what won it.

I find it odd that a channel supposedly for the benefit of British racing shows so much mediocre racing from Ireland and in split screen. If they want to show the Irish racing it should be on a separate channel.

I would suggest Racing TV is one to avoid this afternoon, I will be cutting my losses and making do with ITV.
    Maybe someone should mention to Racing TV as well that 2 Irish meetings are in the afternoon and not the evening as they have on their schedule.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2630

Just one less meeting than Boxing Day then. £1 a race = £72. Quite a costly day unless you have a few winners.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3624

“I would suggest Racing TV is one to avoid this afternoon, I will be cutting my losses and making do with ITV.”

Good advice, yeats. I think RTV will be almost unwatchable today. Wall to wall racing without a pause for breath.

I had a look through the race cards last night. Lots of racing but hardly any of it inspiring. Mediocre handicap followed by yet another.

There simply does not need to be 10 meeting in Britain and Ireland today. 6 or 7 are perfectly adequate.

I may watch the first few races but then I will go to watch my local cricket team instead.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3624

Haydock, Chester and Cartmel all racing on the same day. Three tracks which all draw crowds from Manchester and especially from Liverpool.

It will be interesting to see the attendance figures when they are published. Chester’s May meeting crowds were considerably down, so it remains to be seen if its weekend attendances hold up.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4711

As stated, if the crowds today cover costs on their own, why not let three (albeit relatively adjacent) businesses conduct a successful’s day’s business simultaneously?

It’s propping them up with media rights subsidy and beaming live pictures of all of them off-course I object to.

I’ve had a bet at Cartmel, but I don’t need to see it live tbh – they’re trying to screen too much.

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1008

There are hundreds upon hundreds of channels, quite why they can’t set one more up to avoid split screen racing is beyond me.

To address the thread title, should they? Probably, yes. Will they? Not a chance.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3624

And as we head into the summer, tomorrow’s racing is four jumps meeings. :wacko:

seepigeon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Of Sunday’s meetings, excluding Punchestown, 21 jumps races have a total of around 135 runners – though probably less than that by 2-00pm on the day.
    Which lunatic makes these plans?
    Yet again, on Saturday evening, there was the farce of jumps races with half the obstacles omitted, yet Chelmsford raced in the afternoon and would surely have been a better choice for an evening meeting.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3624

A 2 runner race to start proceedings at Fontwell. That will be great for the Levy.

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

The program book is beyond a joke now. Just off the top of my head I think Tuesday’s meeting at Brighton will be it’s 3rd in about 12 days. Uttoxeter raced today and has another meeting Thursday, has another a week after then another 6 days after that.

Chester has a similar number of meetings for the next couple of months, the AW tracks churn out nothing but garbage year round.

Until someone at the BHA has the kahonas to trim a good 200/300 MEETINGS a year racing is going to be in an ever decreasing spiral.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29590

Yet again, Ian has it spot on. :good:

Value Is Everything
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.