The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time for Francome to go?

Home Forums Horse Racing Time for Francome to go?

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 865 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

While I think Francome would be the first to admit he’s no formbook expert I do listen to what he has to say, he does tend to look at things with a different slant, particularly if it’s a horse or stable he’s familiar with at first hand.

• Total Posts 980

While I think Francome would be the first to admit he’s no formbook expert I do listen to what he has to say, he does tend to look at things with a different slant, particularly if it’s a horse or stable he’s familiar with at first hand.

The thing I find with Francombe is it’s not so much who he speaks highly of, it’s who he doesn’t.

For example, if there’s a horse that’s 25/1 & Francombe says something positive, it’s worth keeping it in mind whereas if he just say’s ‘and that’s a 25/1 chance’ then you can probably scratch it off the list of possibles.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I’m not surprised that some would come to Francome’s defence, I just feel that for the vast majority of the time he comes across as bored or ill-researched.

• Total Posts 1511

His quotes on Punchestown was invaluable info for all punters

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

What did he say? I was at the track.

• Total Posts 1511

He basically said he could not win a RSA because of his jumping technique

• Total Posts 15014

Langlee Boy….you got it spot on! I’ve been trying to keep quiet about it, for fear of getting slaughtered. It was embarassing, great ride on Thousand Stars though!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

He was excited, as you would be if it was your son/daughter! For heaven’s sake… :roll:
    It was terrific, highlight of the festival.

• Total Posts 15014

I don’t doubt it was a proud moment for him, and there would be something wrong if he wasn’t excited, but for the whole team to drool about it for the rest of the week, and become Team Walsh, was what baffled me.

I also think her ride on Thousand Stars was superb, however, "Highlight of the festival"

Come off it!

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

He said that about Rhyme"n"Reason and Rough Quest in the National :lol:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’ve still got a couple more days off work so I’m watching it all again. The dinner party bit I have always found rather embarrassing and tedious, but thats probably beacuse all we want to see at the time is the racing itself. It’s been fascinating listening to Terry Biddlecombe talking about Best Mate. Also thefeature about horses that came second; I’d forgotten about dear old Go Ballistic.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I don’t doubt it was a proud moment for him, and there would be something wrong if he wasn’t excited, but for the whole team to drool about it for the rest of the week, and become Team Walsh, was what baffled me.

I also think her ride on Thousand Stars was superb, she can clearly cut it. However, "Highlight of the festival"

Come off it!

Have a look at the "highlight of day 1" thread. Plenty of people found that a really heartwarming, thrilling moment. For some of us the stories behind the horses/jockeys/owners are what brings racing alive for us, and that was one of those moments.
    It depends what you look for in racing. If you’re just in it for the betting, I can understand your indifference, but I thought it was smashing for Team Walsh, and obviously everyone in the Channel 4 crew are fond of Ted and were suitably thrilled for him too. It was all very natural and spontanious, which was lovely.

• Total Posts 15014

You can’t possibly believe it was spontaneous.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I can see where you’re coming from, but personally it didn’t bother me. We can agree to differ :-)

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

there seems a definate policy on ch4 not to show the runners in the paddock unless they have to.
    this wasent always the case so why the change?
    i assumed it was to get you to pay for ruk but it seems theyre not much better.
    also wasent it typical that they cant afford to have simon holt at some meetings but can afford to have that damm irish woman doing the so called fashion at cheltenham.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Venture to Cognac; a blast from the past! Remind me about the horse; my befuddled brain can’t get any proper details about him,,it’s there somewhere……

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Was a hunter chaser, i think, usually ridden by Oliver Sherwood and trained by Fred Winter. Must have won the Cheltenham Foxhunters once, and finished about 7th in the 1983 Grand National. Coulours were green and orange halves.

That’s all from memory though!

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 865 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.