The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

THEY made an elderly lady cry

Home Forums Horse Racing THEY made an elderly lady cry

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

If anyone was in any doubt about the sick way these lizards get their kicks, they needed only to have heard Big Mac relaying the story of an elderly woman reduced to tears when told there was nothing to come on her each-way bet in the first at Newmarket.

Come racing – take worse odds in order to get on each-way, then get clobbered with no return if you’ve got the fourth place or a reduced return if you’ve made the first three. Maybe the BHA should set up councilling centres for first time racegoers who’ve gone through the trauma of a day at the races in Bookie Britain.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

What did she back Glenn?

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

The 4th in the opening handicap. Foundation Room was withdrawn minutes before the race so they went with only 15.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The apologists who say that these dubious last minute withdrawals in 16 runner handicaps ( and in eight runner fields ) are nothing more than unfortunate or merely coinincidental are only kidding themselves on. :roll:

We all know that jiggery-pokery is taking place and that some bookie/trainer collusion is behind it.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

TheThrowback
    • Total Posts 31

Are we sure this ”elderly lady” wasn’t, in fact, Glenn [a notorious master of disguise] himself, trying his ”I’m a tearful little old lady” act’ in his latest attempt to get pro punter ”bad ew bets” on?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Surely betfair would have paid the fourth place and at a better odds than on course bookies?

I can have no sympathy for the old dear if she cannot drag herself into the 21st century and equip herself with a Blackberry for the racecourse, if she’s taking it seriously – if not taking it seriously, why the tears?

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

Are we sure this ”elderly lady” wasn’t, in fact, Glenn [a notorious master of disguise] himself, trying his ”I’m a tearful little old lady” act’ in his latest attempt to get pro punter ”bad ew bets” on?

A ‘notorious master of disguise’? Would that be me or you?

Good to see you back Chief. :wink:

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

The apologists who say that these dubious last minute withdrawals in 16 runner handicaps ( and in eight runner fields ) are nothing more than unfortunate or merely coinincidental are only kidding themselves on. :roll:

We all know that jiggery-pokery is taking place and that some bookie/trainer collusion is behind it.

If bookmakers were bound by the terms of the bet

as at the time it was struck

then there would be no problem. Rule 4 would cover for any disadvantage to the bookmakers caused by the withdrawal. If that was the case then the ‘non-runner’ conspiracy theory would be irrelevant. If any bookmaker were prepared to try this I suspect they would gain a fair bit of custom.

The sad thing is that, as far as I know, the Tote do exactly the same thing. It would make no difference to them as pool betting operators to keep the same terms as when the market opened.

Rob

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

The tote take the same 18%, so if you’d have got a £3 dividend (first four) you will get a £4 dividend (first three) ie prices increase to reflect that placing is less likely.

Bookies actually decreased prices today, via rule 4, despite punters having less chance of collecting on three places than four.

Rule 4s on the place part of a bet where the number of places have been reduced are an outrage.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I can have no sympathy for the old dear if she cannot drag herself into the 21st century and equip herself with a Blackberry for the racecourse,

I refer you to Rule 18 of Newmatket’s Terms and Conditions (incidentally the same rule applies to all UK racecourses but is, unfortunately, rarely enforced) :lol:

Mobile telephones may not be used for betting purposes anywhere on the Racecourse.

[/color:34tfpvnh]

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I refer you to Rule 18 of Newmatket’s Terms and Conditions (incidentally the same rule applies to all UK racecourses but is, unfortunately, rarely enforced)

Mobile telephones may not be used for betting purposes anywhere on the Racecourse.

Exactly Paul. they really may as well scrap the rule seeing as they don’t mind half a dozen people betting in running at meetings yelling back it or lay it down a phone right next to the bookies – I cannot see how they could ever enforce the rule now, as it’s constantly ignored and condoned.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

The tote take the same 18%, so if you’d have got a £3 dividend (first four) you will get a £4 dividend (first three) ie prices increase to reflect that placing is less likely.

True, but in the instance quoted the lady would still have been in tears…..

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

A ‘notorious master of disguise’? Would that be me or you?

Good to see you back Chief. :wink:

He’s back….

…and we were worried about these Russian spammers cluttering up the board :lol: :lol:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.