The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The most over-rated horse of all time

Home Forums Horse Racing The most over-rated horse of all time

Viewing 9 posts - 103 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

However, whenever Kauto Star proves that he can give the likes of Denman or Neptune Collonges over a stone and still beat them

Looked as though he could have given the pair a stone on Friday, H.

Doubt it – when Denman is fully fit there won’t be much between them next year — as Paul Nicholls conceded after the race.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Himself –

Reason I ask is that Flyingbolt as a contemporary of Arkle, and rated within a couple of pounds – bears obvious similarities with Denman and Kauto.
    Yet you say Kauto would have to give Denman and NC (though Exotic Dancer may be a better yardstick) ‘over a stone’ to be regarded as a great. Which he appeared to do on Friday, doing cartwheels.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Doubt it – when Denman is fully fit there won’t be much between them next year — as Paul Nicholls conceded after the race.

Why are you tying Denman in with Neptune then, who is a patently inferior animal?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Why are you tying Denman in with Neptune then, who is a patently inferior animal?

Because NC is the third best 3m chaser around, in my opinion. Monksfield, I have already explained that Arkle gave 16lbs and to Mill House and slammed him. Could Kauto, in your opinion, concede that amount ( or even less ) to Denman ?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

If both were fighting fit, Gold Cup trip at Cheltenham, on G/S or better, then YES.
    Stickier ground and Kauto’s in trouble, but it’d still be close.
    He has class and guts in abundance.

Sub 3-miles on any other course Kauto wins hands down, on any going.

• Total Posts 81

I am not so sure on Kauto giving weight to horses. He could do it but I would love to see him running in a Hennessy with top weight. Its one of the things missing from his ‘CV’ for me. The other greats proved they could do it.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Why the obsession with NH Grade 1 horses running in handicaps? Should Rock of Gibralter have taken the Cambridgeshire in? Yeats really needs to run in the Ces? Dayjur the Wokie?

apk
    • Total Posts 38

For hype, that never materialised into the wonder horse that was promised, Celtic Swing was up there. A very smart horse but not able to walk on water as had been promised.

Red Glow would be top of my list though. It always makes me smile when i think of him going off favourite for the Derby with the shakiest of credentials. The bookmakers must have been wetting themselves laughing.

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

Florida pearl
    Cool dawn
    Barton

Viewing 9 posts - 103 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.