The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The most over-rated horse of all time

Home Forums Horse Racing The most over-rated horse of all time

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1415

Dubai Millennium
    Danoli
    Hawk Wing

Certainly agree with those nominations.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

SHAREEF DANCER!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Pescatorio Mr Stamp! did he ever run? I’ve got an ante post bet floating around here somewhere for the Derby….

• Total Posts 263

Dubai Millennium & Hawk Wing are probably the two most controversial horses from the last 10 years or so. A heck of a lot of heated discussion has gone on about those two horses.

For me, I’d probably select George Washington as being a tad overrated. He clearly had plenty of ability but I certainly wouldn’t have him up with the best milers that I’ve seen.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Rhinestone Cowboy? Seriously?

• Total Posts 1688

I’d have to say two recent Derby winners.

Motivator
    North Light

I could not imagine anybody rating Sir Percy to a point where one needs to rein in those sentiments by calling him over-rated. So he does not qualify on my list.

And personally, with all due respect to his achievements which were glorious in their own right, I will also mention Dylan Thomas.

Celtic Swing

But I truly love the horse, for he was, and still is the paradigm of "hype".

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Agree with North Light, not sure about Motivataor

Also overrated IMO-

Sir Percy, Shirocco, Azamour, Duke Of Marmalade, American Post, Deep Impact, Sgt Cecil and possibly the biggest of them all Curlin.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Agree with North Light, not sure about Motivataor

Also overrated IMO-

Sir Percy, Shirocco, Azamour, Duke Of Marmalade, American Post, Deep Impact, Sgt Cecil and possibly the biggest of them all Curlin.

Bulwark

Given that he won 10 of his 52 races culminating in 3 gp 2’s and a gp 1, and wasn’t odds-on for any of them, I’d say Sergeant Cecil was under-rated, rather than over? :lol:

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I was more thinking of him being a general antepost favorite for most firms for the 2006 Ascot Gold Cup and starting at a shorter price than yeats, and the general consensus in the run up to that race that SC wasnt getting beaten and yeats was a hound that had no chance. By recollection, AOB had been singing yeats praises and yeats had been put up by Fallon as his ride of the week, sgt cecil had just suffered a level weights defeat to percussionist. 8-1 was readily available on yeats on the day.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Motivator, North Light, Big Brown (steroid machine)

Those suggesting Curlin (Main track monster) and Dubai Millennium (who IMO is one of the top 10 racehorses of all time) are on the wrong thread.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Persian Punch.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

i agree with irish stamp that the relatively small pool of NH horses back in the black and white days has probably led to some champions from that era being a bit overated. It was surely naturally a lot less competitive…

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

Hardy Eustace. Dual Champion-Hurdler but actually inferior to Brave Inca

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

i agree with irish stamp that the relatively small pool of NH horses back in the black and white days has probably led to some champions from that era being a bit overated. It was surely naturally a lot less competitive…

Count me in with that assertion, too!

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 1415

Definitely Deep Impact. Also agree that the black and white horses were over-rated (hugely). Arkle two stone better than todays superstars, ha ha do me a favour.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

At the moment I’m finding it hard to believe that there’s not one of Mill House, Flyingbolt and Arkle who would be inferior to Master Minded given strength of competition these days, the larger pool of horses etc

So given I can’t decide which one it is I’ll go for one that will likely annoy the older members of the racing community who generally have an orgasm when something carries more than 11-10 to win a handicap and for the moment side with Denman as the most overated.

Other than him then Rhinestone Cowboy.

Cant have that because I think its unfair to judge horses (and most other creatures) to to those of a completely different time and generation when so much has changed. Handicappers may one day be born who can do 3 miles as fast as Kauto Star but for me they can never be considered in the same light as him.

SHL

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

By the way…A few people here mentioned Danoli.

Off the back of that, surely MYSILV deserves a mention. Got found out repeatily when leaving the 4 y o ranks. Dont even get me started on DATO STAR.

SHL

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.