The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

G8 Summit

Home Forums Lounge G8 Summit

Viewing 10 posts - 35 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

It’s beginning to look like the "million people" coming to Edinburgh will be no such thing.

Geldof’s spokeswoman said:

"There isn’t a march as such. It’s a metaphorical, symbolic thing which Sir Bob Geldof was talking about. It doesn’t really matter where you march. It doesn’t matter whether you are there physically as long as you are there in spirit."

So, the million people will be mainly be made up by people who are there in "spirit"?

Ooooo ….. I bet the G8 leaders are trembling in their boots…

Steve

Dungheap
    • Total Posts 113

Just having returned from this part of the world, my thoughts on the G8 thing:-<br>before anymore aid is sent to the third world it needs to be pointed out that most of it does not reach the people it is intended for unless it is a camera catastrophy ie the cameras are filming a drought or some similar event.

Because bribery is the norm to import goods in to tanzania for instance, bribes need to be paid to the import ministry, the dock authorites, the dockers and dock security (or it gets broken into). No bribe it is seriously delayed, damaged or just disappears. As the container progresses to its unloading point the police will inevitably "appear" and find some reason to impound the vehicle unless the appropriate bribe is paid.

Secondly no way can I support the "tribe" stuff that goes on in many countries, wrong tribe your container takes longer kinda stuff.

Thirdly in conversation with friends over there I sort of asked what the problem was and the reply quite simply was, well if you earn no money to buy food you just go and hunt or pick some, also when you build a house if it falls down whats the point of repairing it when the materiels are there to build another!!!

Good aid would be the end of EU cap grants and the same with the yanks farmers subsidies.

I had no intention to partake in it but I am now opposed to it, especially with the involvement of the catholic church, I agree with grasshoppers view on the vatican profits but until the vatican stops its senseless condemnation of the use of condoms then I could not be part of it I may watch the odd band on the tele.

But the main thrust of the demo is to reduce debt and increase aid both of which are worthless until 1st world farmers have no subsidies and we toughen on the tribe and  bribe stuff nothing IMO opinion will change and no matter how good the intentions are nothing will change.<br>

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

On the principle of supporting anything Dungheap is against….  😉

I’ve decided that I’m going to follow the suggestions of Geldof’s people.

I’m going to go Gleneagles from Wednesday to Friday  next week and will climb the barriers and break into the G8 meeting.

I will of course be doing this entirely "in spirit".

While this is going on, my physical body will be at work, in my bed, in front of the telly, getting a suntan in the park etc etc.

However, years from now, I will be able to say I did my bit.

Steve

Dungheap
    • Total Posts 113

stevedg is such a nice person.:biggrin:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I will demonstrating about the apathy towards climate change and the endless exploitation of poor countries by rich ones .. from the beach in Turkey.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Hoppy

I was witness to some of the Anarchists march last Monday.

About 15 minutes into the march, they marched right up a narrow lane and the police just shut them in there.

I was chatting with an English policeman nearby and he was just laughing at them. Obviously, anarchists aren’t known for their planning, but that lot were a bunch of ****
    wits.

I agree that the flare-ups in Princes St seemed to be caused by a bunch of opportunistic locals (they had that look about them) rather than real anarchists.

Which goes to show that, if you want street violence, you should turn to a bunch of dead-beat arseholes rather than whiny middle-class kids.

On another note, I found the role of the celebs in the G8 conference a puke-inducing crawl up the arse of people who should be languishing in a jail cell in the Hague waiting their turn after Milosovic.

Bianca Jagger wrote an interesting article int he New Statesman.

http://www.newstatesman.com/World/200507110006

G8: Bono and Geldof slept with the enemy and betrayed the cause, writes Bianca Jagger

When G8 finance ministers announced last month a $40bn debt-relief package for some of the world’s poorest countries, Bob Geldof praised it as "a victory for the millions of people in the campaign around the world". Bono called it "a little piece of history". Forget the immoral condition of enforced liberalisation and privatisation that it contained. That was not all. Bono went on to hail George W Bush as the saviour of Africa. "I think he has done an incredible job," he pronounced, adding: "Bush deserves a place in history for turning the fate of the continent around." He came across as serious. Does Bono know that the US is the lowest aid donor in the industrialised world, giving over only 0.16 per cent of GNP? Does he not care about climate change and about Bush’s role as serial environmental abuser? Maybe he has forgotten.

The mutual admiration club between Bono, Geldof, Blair and Bush – rock stars and men who would love to be them – has been the abiding symbol of the G8. It is deeply disturbing. It has nothing to do with the commitment and the passionate argu-ment of the 225,000 people who took to the streets of Edinburgh on 2 July, encircling the centre of Scotland’s capital to protest against global injustice. This demonstration – at which I was a speaker – provided the real backdrop, the real pressure for change. Not that many people, particularly those south of the border, would have known. Saturation television that day from Live 8 in Hyde Park beamed pictures from as far away as Philadelphia, Berlin and Tokyo – cities united in superficial soundbites about desperately serious issues.

Edinburgh was nowhere to be seen. Was it inadvertent, or did our celebrity musicians conspire to allow the biggest demonstration of people power in Scotland’s history and the biggest march against poverty the UK has seen to be erased from the public’s consciousness? When Gordon Brown announced his intention to take part in the Edinburgh march, I was appalled. I finally understood the Machiavellian plan by Prime Minister and Chancellor to neutralise and co-opt the efforts of hundreds of NGOs, grass-roots organisations and people throughout the world united in their desire to see poverty eradicated. They achieved their aims with the help of Geldof and Bono. I know that we need to persuade politicians, but do we really need to sleep with the enemy?

For years, thousands of people have campaigned to draw the public’s attention to the harm globalisation has done to the developing world and to expose the unjust policies of the unholy trinity – the World Bank, the IMF and the World Trade Organisation. All of a sudden Brown wanted to march hand in hand with us. Was he going to protest against the policies the UK government was imposing on the poorest countries in the developing world? Was he aware that the UK government had been instrumental in pushing an aggressive "free trade" agenda at the WTO, disregarding developing countries’ pleas to be allowed to defend their infant industries from predatory EU and US multinationals?

Was he not aware that the UK also stands behind the Economic Partnership Agreements, designed to open markets in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific, exposing small-scale producers to overwhelming competition from powerful multinationals? Is he aware that the UK has taken the lead in promoting privatisation of public services in developing countries, despite the increase in poverty this has brought to millions of peoples in Africa, Latin America and elsewhere? Does he not know that the Department for International Development has channelled millions from the aid budget to consultants such as Adam Smith International, KPMG and PricewaterhouseCoopers, engaged to "advise" developing-country governments on the privatisation of their public services? What about the UK’s efforts to undermine international calls to hold multinational corporations to account for their activities overseas, championing the voluntary alternative of "corporate social responsibility" rather than corporate regulation? Then comes the arms industry, and Britain’s seemingly unquenchable thirst to sell to the poorest and most volatile of dictatorships.

After all the excitement of the Live 8 crowd, and the self-congratulation of the organisers for what we should acknowledge was perhaps the greatest rock-music spectacle the world has seen, what will have been achieved? Has Blair, the same politician who misled the world over WMDs in Iraq, managed to reinvent his legacy as the prophet of the social justice movement? Has the consciousness of the world really been raised, or have the consciences of the political leaders simply been soothed?

In Scotland, we were making concrete demands of the G8 leaders to stop imposing their neoliberal policies that have contributed to exacerbating poverty in the developing world. Perhaps our aims were a little too unsettling, a little too unpalatable for Bono and Bob. By ignoring the real issues in the Make Poverty History campaign, and by embracing politicians with uncritical enthusiasm, they have undermined the real movement for change, helping to preserve the cycle that keeps the developing world subjugated to the financial institutions that are making poverty inevitable.

You may wonder why I feel so deeply about these issues. I was born in one of the 18 countries in the debt-relief package; Nicaragua is the second-poorest country in the southern hemisphere. Throughout my life I have seen, at first hand, the devastating effect that poverty has on children’s lives. Witnessing the death of a child is not just a dramatic click of a finger, it is a terrible tragedy. Bono and Bob Geldof’s blind ambition has led them to legitimise and praise Bush and Blair, perpetrators of the objectionable policies that are causing the demise of innocent people throughout the developing world. Although one cannot deny that Bono and Geldof have succeeded in bringing attention to Africa, one feels betrayed by their moral ambiguity and soundbite propaganda, which has obscured and watered down the real issues that are at stake in this debate.<br>…..

<br>

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Hi Grasshopper

I made three appearances in your fair(ly overrated wouldn’t you say?) city.

On Saturday, I, along with about forty/fifty others, actually led the MPH march in the name of capitalism – because we figured that the march was too lop sided in favour of those lazy, filthy, commie pig hippys. If you have a slight sense of irony and humour, you could have found it hilarious. All in all, the CRAP (Capitalism Represents Acceptable Policy) march was pretty successful in that we made the bbc.co.uk website. But what was more satisfying was that we upset some of the w**k
    ers from the SWP. Let’s be honest though, they’re so used to selling newspapers and going to meetings that actual actions tend to scare them if they don’t have their name splashed all over it.

On Monday, I skipped along with the Irish to protest at the Irish consulate against their government and everybodies favourite evil **** of a company, Shell oil.

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=70654

On Wednesday, I couldn’t make it up to Gleneagles so I, and a couple of others went back to your city and took a stroll around to see what was happening. Nothing much other than a bunch of protesters being penned in on Princes Street. We were going to join them but it’s just as hard to get into a pen as it is to get out of one. Then that godawful news came in about London which put me in a mood – the b*****d
    s got the ****
    ing olympics. As if god wanted to land a double blow, I found out how much a pint is in Edinburgh.

Eventually, there was just two of us left, so in an act of courage, solidarity and possibly stupidity…… we went to the museum (as you do on what’s meant to be the most important day in the history of everything – ever). That said, we shared a moment so poignant, it will be etched into our hearts forever and ever. We saw Dolly! So whilst the police and the black block were doing thier handbags routine just a few hundred metres away, me and my hardcore anarchist friend ogled the stuffed farm animal, and the walls around us fell. When shutting time came, we spent the rest of the evening getting p**s
    ed in your pubs (which just wouldn’t be able to stand up against Manc pubs (or ‘Weegie’ pubs for that matter)) before going to the train station (not the haymarket one – another one – on the Murrayfield line – could have been the Central one) with a bottle of Carribean Twist and slouching down next to the cashpoint – we fitted in just fine.

I spent Sunday in Glasgow for the guided tour and at all other times, I was at the eco-village in Stirling which managed to make the bulls**t
    news for all the wrong reasons unfortunately.

That said, if anybody wants to know what was really going on at Stirlings football ground (up to Thursday morning – because I left, not being in the mood to do anything in light of what happened in London) then I’ll be happy to answer questions to the fullest extent of my knowledge.

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Grasshopper

I like most other peoples ‘particular fire brand politics’ – just not the SWPs. I would hope that lefty groups are batting for the same team and not trying to out-do eachother. Then again, I can only speak on behalf on my insignificant self.

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Thank **** for that! I though I’d never get another smile from you ever again (what with you being a miserable OLD b*****d
    with me over the last 9 months or so……. was that because I stood between you and your fruit pastels?)

Perhaps I should have elaborated on the overrated city bit. I prefer Glasgow in the face of the place being perpetually dissed by SteveDVG – that and a pint of Strongbow never has, and never will, cost £2.55 – unless you’re in London or Edinburgh.

I felt that we (the left) were making some pretty good, if insignificant-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things, progress until those bombs went off in London *now the sheep-wing of the masses will probably get behind the government in a show of solidarity against the unpopular kind of terrorism* or so I thought, but when I got back to England – it turned out that most people didn’t have a clue about it going off on Wednesday – at Gleneagles or otherwise.

I did chuckle when I saw somebody I know on page 2 of one of your rags getting dragged off the road by a cop. It was funny because the rag made him out to be a violent person even though I know he’s a harmless vegan who plays the cello!

NEVER believe ANYTHING ANY newspaper says about ANYTHING – That’s the most important thing I learned last week.

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Hi everybody

Whilst I’m at my Mum’s saying what might well be my last goodbyes, I figured I would bid y’all farewell whilst I’m at it.

To answer the topic question, YES to protest. I understand most of you are totally oblivious to this year’s G8 Summit what with all the Big Brother and Madeline McCann but these things happen every year.

That’s right, it wasn’t just another opportunity for that ****
    Bono to look really really nice and caring.

So yeah, I’m setting off tomoz and hopefully, by the time I return to this lapdog island, Imperialism will be a thing of the past and you’ll all have ME to thank.

Peace (unless you happen to be a member of Berlin’s notorious 23rd brigade because you boys are getting it!)

Viewing 10 posts - 35 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.