The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

G8 Summit

Home Forums Lounge G8 Summit

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

On TV yesterday, they told you the question you had to answer to apply for Live8 tickets.

The question was "which city is closest to the location of the G8 summit".

Before they put up the 3 possible answers, I had already answered "Dundee".

However, that wasn’t one of the options.

But lets be fair, there’s no point in having the protests in Dundee.

If the protesters smashed the place up, they’d be responsible for tens of thousands of pounds of improvements.

Steve

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

I saw that on the tele aswell Stevedvg, and it made me think that, the sort of person who would want to go to that sort of event must be so thick, they better put out a question so simple that a new born puppy dog would get it right.<br> (Just for the record, I like puppy dogs).  

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I think you’re all being a bit pessimistic; Climate Change, World Poverty and Iraq are all on the agenda for the meeting held in secret. I think the Americans will  respond to Tony and stop killing people, stop the banks explioting whole continents and sign up to the Kyoto treaty  … don’t you .. ??

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

Maybe this should have been worded "are you half-full or half-empty?" me? my cup runneth over! and as Bob says–"Ths is just the effing beginning"  (my words not his excactly)       😉    

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Your usual cohesive and lucid self deltaman .. 😎

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Quote: from stevedvg on 2:39 pm on June 7, 2005[br]<br>If the protesters smashed the place up, they’d be responsible for tens of thousands of pounds of improvements.<br>

I think what you locals have to worry about the most is that I’m, and many others, are going to live as travellers for periods between a week and a month.  Throw in the fact that many of us refuse to wear de-odourants or use most soaps and you’re left with the smelliest bunch of people you will ever come across (and you’re bound to bump into us one time or another – we’ll be EVERYWHERE!!!).

Quote: from dave jay on 11:07 pm on June 7, 2005[br]I think you’re all being a bit pessimistic; Climate Change, World Poverty and Iraq are all on the agenda for the meeting held in secret. I think the Americans will  respond to Tony and stop killing people, stop the banks explioting whole continents and sign up to the Kyoto treaty  … don’t you .. ??<br>

Hi Dave

Since you put it like that then we don’t have to go up there after all.  It’s been a long time coming like but they got there in the end and that’s all that matters.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

you’re left with the smelliest bunch of people you will ever come across

Wrong again, Kotki.

Buy yourself a map and you’ll see we’re less than 50 miles from Glasgow.

Steve

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I was talking to my mother last night and she said the following:

"15,000 of the marchers will be camping at the Jack Kane centre. If you want to buy a tent at a cheap price, there’ll be plenty being sold round the pubs in Craigmillar the following week"    

(let’s just say you wouldn’t want to leave your belongings unattended in that part of town)

Steve

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Quote: from Kotkijet on 10:09 pm on May 20, 2005[br]On the Eleventh of September 2001, 3000 westerners were killed in the worst terrorist attack the west had ever been bothered by (because we don’t see the attacks commited by America on 21 countries since WW2 as terrorist – none of the countries emerging with stable, democratic rule)

On the Eleventh of September 2001 – 420,000 children died of starvation which could easily been prevented had the West

a) Not imposed global policys which favour fat wallets<br>b) Used the gargantuan wealth garnered from exploitation of the non rich to help people other than themselves for a change. <br>

Hi everybody

Just reporting a typo – it was actually 24,000 children who died that day, not 420,000. Sorry about that – all the same, 24,000 (not to mention the child every 3 seconds) is still a disgrace to society.

Whilst I’m here, I may as well let you have my thought of the day.

Rupert Murdoch reckons he’ll have 10 million sky subcribers by 2010. So at an average subscribtion cost of say £42 by then, he’s raking in £4,200,000,000 a year from sky subscribtions.

*source – todays Mirror*

Rupert Murdochs, The Sun, 3,300,000 copies a day at 30p a throw reaping £361,597,500 from this daily comic. The Times sells 509,711 copies a day for 55p raking in £102,394,568.52 from the new compact Tory bible.

*sources – <br>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19469-1521277,00.html<br>http://www.napster.co.uk/press_releases/pr_040722.html<br>http://www.sainsburystoyou.com/index.jsp?bmUID=1119566868627

The combined revenues of the three said hypnotic media machines (ALONE!) total £42,463,992,068.52.

Off that, he gets away with paying only 6% of his income on taxes through corporate tax loopholes including shifting cash from one country to another. In the three countries he calls home (US us & oz) the corporate tax rate is meant to be roughly 33%.

Rupert Murdoch should be paying the public sector £14,013,117,382.61 yet he only pays only £2,547,839,524.11.

He rips us off to the sum of £11,465,277,858.50 a year – just by not paying his taxes like everybody else. (Think of all the Hospitals, Schools, Homes etc)

With our population of 59,600,000, he is stealing £192.37 from EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU including the children and the old people!

*Source* http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=6

Not only does Rupert use his freedom to feed us full of s**t<br> on a daily basis but he reliefs us of a s**t<br>load of money for the pleasure.

I have just mathematically proven that Rupert Murdoch is a big time crook and he should be stopped. Those that disagree need their heads checking. Especially that lot representing "us" at the G8 summit.

(Edited by Kotkijet at 12:18 am on June 24, 2005)

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I have just mathematically proven that Rupert Murdoch is a big time crook

I would suggest that you’ve just "mathematically proven" that:

(1) you don’t know anything about business<br>(2) you’re useless at arithmetic

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Let me demonstrate:

(1) The Sun, 3,300,000 copies a day at 30p a throw reaping £361,597,500 from this daily comic

The approx £1m a day your figures suggest isn’t profit. It’s turnover.

From this has to be deducted costs such as: printing, delivery, newsagents margin, wages etc etc  

Maybe Ian will give us an educated apporximation of  how much of the 30p ends up being kept (before tax) by News International.  

(2) <br>£4,200,000,000 + £361,597,500 + £102,394,568.52 <br>=£4,663,992,068.52

Not, £42,463,992,068.52.  

You had multiplied the £4.2 billion by 10.

Steve

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Hi Steve

It could have been anybody who made me look like a twat, so I’m glad it was you in the end.

The two subjects I did best at in school & college were Maths and Business. If this doesn’t prove that the current education system is flawed then nothing will.

After going over the figures again, the three media monsters bring in approx (gross) £5,503,992,050 because for the sky, I forgot to multiply the monthly figure by 12.

Given that all three will make a lot of money through advertising, the figure is probably much higher than the above estimate.

I’m guessing I’m wrong in assuming that it’s the gross income that is taxed rather than the net profits (you know, just like everybody who works in the UK). But all the same, even after he pays all the overheads and wages, Rupert Murdoch is making more money than anybody can spend – and with that, he is still ripping off Regular Joe.

Next time I go off on an anti-capitalist rant, I should use a blank piece of paper, a pen and a calculator. Also I should  try my best not to go over the top with the drugs and all.

Nonetheless, I stand by my original "It would be better for society if Rupert Murdoch was dead" stance.

(Edited by Kotkijet at 1:16 pm on June 24, 2005)

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

If this doesn’t prove that the current education system is flawed then nothing will.

It’s not just the "current" system.

I got a maths degree in the 80’s despite the fact that I can’t do mental arithmetic to save my life.

Steve

Dungheap
    • Total Posts 113

grasshopper<br>-In 10 years time, we will all be locked-up for our own good –  10 years to late IMO:biggrin:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I just read the following:

The two leaders of the Catholic Church in Britain will lead the Make Poverty History march in Edinburgh next Saturday

The catholic church of all people???

Are they having a ****
    en laugh?

Steve

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

We  have just recieved hand delivered letters from the police telling us that they are going to start interferring in our lives for three days.<br>:angry:

Purple Patch
    • Total Posts 15

Dave, where ya going on Hols in Turkey?<br>Meet ya for a G8 beer!<br>I live five mins from PIK and I’m off to Olu Deniz on Friday.<br>Speshul branch appeared at the BP office at the airport the other week and the cheeky buggers wouldn’t let them in until they had seen their ID and phoned Home Office to confirm.<br>What’s the three foot high razor wire all about?<br>A bandy legged pygmy could step over it!<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I’m going to Sidi on Sunday .. the razor wire is just there to annoy everyone, I think. There’ll be a riot if they come around here .. ‘trying to protect the community’ .. my hole!

We’ll definitely get together after the hols. No beer for me at the minute.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.