The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The four greatest sports stars of my lifetime.

Home Forums General Sports The four greatest sports stars of my lifetime.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Tiger Woods, Lester Piggot,Mohamed Ali,Joe Montana.Who are yours?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

I had to google Joe "who?" Montana :shock:

Difficult one, what criteria – achievements, talent, fame, etc?

Anyway, my four would be:

Thierry Henry – talent, strike rate, longevity, professionalism and sheer weight of awards won, they don’t give away statues at Arsenal you know

Joe Calzaghe – Beating all he could face, longevity at the top level and doing what only a handful of boxers have ever done, finishing as unbeaten world champ

Ronnie O’Sullivan – unquestionably the greatest natural talent his game has ever seen, ability to do things no opponent can, achievements and winnings while undoubtedly also under-achieving

Phil Taylor – the best at his game ever, twenty years at the top and no sign of stopping, sheer scale of achievements will never be equalled

Can’t have jockeys or racing drivers as the best achievers in those type of events have the help of the best partners.

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 686

Muhammad Ali
    Fred Winter
    Pele
    Sachin Tendulkar

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Some of you have had very long lives :?

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Muhammad Ali
    Michael Jordan
    Wayne Gretsky
    Sir Steve Redgrave

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I know he said he was The Greatest; but three out of four seem to agree.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

A footballer has the help of many partners.It’s what he does with that help that makes him great.If ones competitors count then jockeys are entitled to be called great.Somebody once said that horses run faster for little Willie Shoemaker.Surely "wee Anthony" cannot claim that it is the better horses that make him great?.There are so many not mentioned here.Scotland and Brazil are known for GP Formula One drivers and Ireland/North and South for golfers.Incidentally Germany while known for it’s soccer team seems bereft of individual champions at sports.I enjoy reading the greats I overlooked but acknowledge.How about Don Bradman?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Thierry Henry could hardly be acclaimed for professionalism following his display against Ireland in the recent World Cup.And yes I am pretty old.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Thierry Henry could hardly be acclaimed for professionalism following his display against Ireland in the recent World Cup.

And yes I am pretty old

How about Don Bradman?

Don Bradman :shock:

You’ll be nominating Henry VIII next :|

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Bradman retired from Test Cricket in 1948, though he is undoubtedly the greatest batsman the game has seen, your question would preclude him. Similarly George Herman Ruth who was the world’s first sports icon, Ali and Jordan used the media to sell themselves to the public in ways the Babe did not have available to him. I would have to choose Seve Ballesteros over Tiger Woods based purely on natural golfing genius, though technological advances in equipment make comparisons very difficult, could Tiger do what Bobby Jones did with using his equipment and vice versa.

It was very hard to leave out Daley Thompson, watching him in his prime (9 years) you knew that he was always in control even if it appeared otherwise, in what is the most demanding event there is.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Muhammad Ali
    Pele
    Lester Piggott
    Roger Federer

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Jocky Wilson
    Stewart Kennedy
    Eddie the Eagle
    Giant Haystacks

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25462

Ian Botham
    Viv Richards
    Andy Caddick
    Marcus Trescothick

Member since March 2008
    The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2066

Roger Federer, AP McCoy, Shane Warne, Haile Gebrselassie

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Some interesting names and good points. Andy(dod) – you seem a little hard on the krauts, Michael Schumacher, Steffi Graf and Boris Becker were pretty good at their sport, although considering the population of Germany, you may still be right in suggesting they underperform. (Haven’t they produced the odd golfer too?).
    How many Germans (or non-Brits for that matter) have ever heard of Lester Piggott or Tony McCoy or Jocky Wilson or Phil Taylor etc?
    How many non-racing fans have heard of Willie Shoemaker (or younger racing fans for that matter.)
    If greateness were to mean internationally known even in countries where that person’s particular sport wasn’t popular, then I guess there wouldn’t be too many candidates.

Pele
    Muhammed Ali
    maybe, just maybe
    Roger Federer and John McEnroe

Can’t think of too many females. Martina Navratilova or Billie Jean King maybe.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Please don’t tell me you never heard of Don Badman.Henry,I read, was a renouned sportsman but he was before my time.If you consider those German athletes to be one of a kind OK but those mentioned each had at least one or two comparable to them at the time with the exception of Schumacher who had Mercedes behind him.I just gave my most famous. And I did not mention that guy who won all the medals at the Berlin Olympics in 1936, Jesse Owens.I was born 1934.Athletes is a small pool of people I realise and the general public has little interest in them.But most people seem to have heard of The Greatest.Jordan is known here to people outside the pool due to the kids wanting to buy Air Jordan shoes.Most everyone knows Tiger for one reason or another.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Babe Zaharias was the first female athlete to rise above the pale so to speak in the USA.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.