The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Ashes

Home Forums General Sports The Ashes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

Anybody else looking forward to Thursdays first test? I think it may have come 12 months too late but am optimistic we have a good team on a sharp upward curve (England obviously), whether they are close enough to Australia at present maybe a step to far but a 2-2 looks a real possiblity. Shame the first test is at Lord’s as it has always been a happy hunting ground for Australia.

First hour on Thursday should set the tone for the whole series – Fingers crossed for some exciting and rough action!

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

I think we’ll win a test but no more.<br>With the weather likely to affect things in at least one game I would plump for a 3-1 scoreline to the Aussies.

Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

Great start on the first morning with Australia winning the toss & choosing to bat, dinner 97-5

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

17 wickets on day one,safe to say this one won’t be a draw!!

Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

8 drpped catches was significant and the fact no England top order player managed to play themselves in. If they want to be competative against the Aussies they must play to their level (the highest) which we know we can do. Still think 2-2 has a chance though as I’m sure the nerves are less once you are chasing a game!

Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

What an excellent series it was the best one I have ever witnessed, I was almost expecting a last ball match but we held out comfortably in the end. Great to see so much interest from people not usually interested in this great game.

I was in a win – win situation on the last morning of the test as it was on a knife edge as I was willing England on I new it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we lost as I was sitting on a 2-2 result.

Only downside is Channel 4 has now lost the coverage to Sky and it should be remembered that Ch4 have done a brilliant job in inovating exciting new features to cricket. I know the cricket interfered with racing but all in all I think they done a brilliant job and I’m sad to see it leave Ch4.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Absolutely, DL. It will at least solve C4’s headaches where the clashes of cricket and racing are concerned on a Saturday afternoon, but with interest in the sport probably at a 20-year high following this series, letting coverage go looks an even worse decision now than at the start of the summer.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

"You only sing when you’re winning!" is a football chant and has no place in cricket.

As someone who has watched England stumble from embarrassment to disaster to comedy over the last twenty-odd years, the defeat in Pakistan has made no difference to my loving the game.

If a few thousand fairweather followers lose interest after the end of the Ashes, so be it. I love cricket, whoever is playing and the only thing that grated during the Ashes was the trumped up nationalism that belongs in a football stadium. Congratulations to Pakistan – they have an exciting new team.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I would suggest that any Englishman who tried to suggest that we were in any way superior in any sport would be so far out of touch with reality as to be certifiable.

Hence the default setting for an Englishman should be modesty. Anything else is just silly, frankly

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.