The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tamarinbleu job horse?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Tamarinbleu job horse?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Scribbles
    • Total Posts 149

It is possible to have a solid opinion on racing and not bet. No, I didn’t bet on the horse. I don’t bet any more. I noticed, on flicking on RUK at 1.43, that Haydock had been abd and I simply wondered about Ascot after briefly remembering that today was VicC day. So I flicked over to ATR and saw that Tamarinbleu was thrown in at the bottom end of the market and said to myself “ahh, so today is the day”. I had not one clue of the runners until 1.43 today.
    The moment I saw him against the QM ‘good thing’ at 14s, I knew in my mind the horse would win as I have always considered TB to be a horse that always seems to improve a stone when there is a big pot approaching, and the odds are right. £76k is quite a pot, and 14/1 is quite some odds.
    If the horse follows up next time out i’ll be pleased to admit that i’m a muppet. A crackpot. Call me what you like. But I stand by the opinion that TB is 100% sure to leave today’s form behind in his next race.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Please could you let me have your definition of a "job horse" as I am currently updating my dictionary and the listed version must be wrong.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

I simply wondered about Ascot after briefly remembering that today was VicC day. So I flicked over to ATR and saw that Tamarinbleu was thrown in at the bottom end of the market and said to myself “ahh, so today is the day”. I had not one clue of the runners until 1.43 today.

You don’t follow racing, then?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

It is not the first time that a "Pipe-trained" horse has shown surprisingly improved form, is it!? :wink:

Colin

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Tamarinbleu won the Boylesports off a mark of 150 in a race in which he and the third Patman du Charmil (has run well since) went faster than ideal according to all known sectionals.

Today he recorded a time which, on the limited information we have about Ascot, suggests he may well be top-class.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the ground today was almost certainly not even close to "heavy". The Champion Chase division is weak (it could well prove to be an easier race to win than the Ryanair this year).

Underestimate Tamarinbleu at your peril, imo.

Overestimate Ascot form at your peril imo….

I agree it is a weak Champion Chase and that Tamarinbleu looks an improved performer this season, but I reckon this is a piece of form that would be best torn out of the formbook as a guide to future success.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Any views on the time, tdk, and, leaving aside yesterday, on how much Tamarinbleu needed to improve from the Boylesports to be a credible Champion Chase contender in a weak year?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5830

Tamarinbleu may be many things, but by my reckoning a "job horse" he certainly ain’t!

He’s a progressive horse who won the Perth Gold Cup, then progressed to the next rung by winning a top class handicap chase at Cheltenham, and has made the step up to take a Grade 1 chase at Ascot. That’s a fine bit of training to bring the horse through the ranks, and I’m proud that a race at one of my local tracks figured.

and to think, all I was worried about was that he would be weighted out of Summer chases.

Rob

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

For those interested, The Shoe’s thoughts on yesterday

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/st … 30,00.html

Scribbles
    • Total Posts 149

I simply wondered about Ascot after briefly remembering that today was VicC day. So I flicked over to ATR and saw that Tamarinbleu was thrown in at the bottom end of the market and said to myself “ahh, so today is the day”. I had not one clue of the runners until 1.43 today.

You don’t follow racing, then?

I used to follow it avidly gus. It affected my home life as I spent so much time on the game. So I gave it up as a punter, now I make a point of watching just the prime cuts. I still love watching good racing, which is why I switched on for the VC. Some may call me an armchair jockey now :)
    I was a trend punter when I was a gambler. Which is to say that I could look at a race and eliminate 3/4 of the field without even looking at the formbook. I still do it in races like the Grand National, ie. eliminate all 8yo and below, and all 12yo and above. Then take out all dicky jumpers and everything out of the handicap. Eliminate the top two in the weights, and apprentice riders. That usually leaves you with about ten runners.
    There are 100s of good trends/caveats that will cover most races. Taking on the fav in sellers is another good one. It was this kind of method that got me interested in Tamarinbleu when he got turned over at 1/10 in some tinpot race a few years ago. I’ve followed the horse since, and he always finds his form approaching key races.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Any views on the time, tdk, and, leaving aside yesterday, on how much Tamarinbleu needed to improve from the Boylesports to be a credible Champion Chase contender in a weak year?

Prufrock – times at the "new" Ascot have been strange from day 1 – we have seen horses strung out like washing with plenty not acting on it and then the time of the winner indicating fast ground. So many horses seem not to act on it, or act only on parts of it – and it seems to be very hard to make up any ground on softer going (another reason not to get too carried away with Tamarinbleu imo)

I’m not saying there wasn’t merit in Tamarinbleu’s performance but I just think Ascot is freak venue and I couldnt take anything that happens there at face value.

Tamarinbleu probably doesnt have an awful lot lot to find on the figures to be rated alongside the leading Champion Chase contenders, but can he run to that rating on the likely goodish ground come Cheltenham over 2 miles?

He has won a 3 mile handicap chase off 140, has won off 150 over 2m5f at Cheltenham and won forcing the pace on soft ground at Ascot over 2m1f – that isn’t the profile of a Champion chaser in my book.

In a weak year, I would be far more interested in Jack The Giant at a bigger price were he to run in the race…

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

RPR 173 for Tamarinbleu

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

RPR 173 for Tamarinbleu

:shock:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

That RPR is a load of utter cobblers.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5830

GH

You mean you disagree with their handicapper’s opinion!

Rob

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

No, rob, I mean that if they genuinely believe that mark is an accurate reflection of the run/form, then they would be better off making shoes for a living. 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.