The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tails from the blackcountry II

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Tails from the blackcountry II

Viewing 17 posts - 358 through 374 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Can’t honestly recall the last time I invested at Galway been so many years ago.However think I may have alighted on a sound each way prospect worth a small flutter.
    JOE MASSERIA e/w at around 10’s is freely available and looks to me a fair price.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Owing to my service provider being troublesome at the moment shall just put forward SWIFT ASSET for your consideration in Brighton’s opening contest.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Can’t pretend that I’m a fan of the Shergar Cup meeting at Ascot but however it does supply an interesting opener in the ‘Dash’with a couple of the runners that look to me likely to do better than so far shown.If it weren’t for the poor form of the Teal stable I would be all over Chipstead like a rash.Allow me to explain this statement and why I believe we are likely to see a better effort today.Chipstead is an out and out minimum trip sprinter for me his record screams this despite the fact he does stay beyond.His stats for 6f & 7f read one win from 16 attempts and a few placings.His record at 5f 5 wins from 7 starts all in handicaps and his numbers make this a even more compelling case that 5f is where he should be campaigned.This in my view helps make the case I put forward not too long ago about connections trying to turn horses into something they are not in search of more opportunities.
    Although ROUGE LIGHTNING e/w has already reached a lofty rating for a 3yo it’s my belief this gelding is another out & out sprinter.Following the most unkind cut of all connections sent him over 5f for the first time and in my opinion ran a career best race taking it with more in the locker than the winning margin suggested without coming under any real pressure from his rider.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Faith or Evolution
    Reading the above it would be quite natural to think the question concerned religious beliefs as against Darwin’s theory of natural selection.While I must admit to admiring anyone who can with blind faith believe in an omnipotent being although some of the flakier ones around do make me question if such belief systems are of man’s own creation?
    Perhaps it all comes down to the Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and the babel fish,the argumment goes something like this ….”I refuse to prove that I exist” says God “for proof denies faith,and without faith I am nothing”
    “But” says man “the babel fish is a dead giveaway isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance.It proves you exist ,and so therefore,by your own arguments,you don’t. QED”
    “Oh dear” says God “I hadn’t thought of that” and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
    Like many things evolution to me is a fact of life,however I will not deny those that seek solace in the idea of a supreme being their belief.
    Misguided or not life follows a pattern and one’s personal philosophy decides that pattern but it also applies to one’s racing and betting with constant updating needed to keep up with the changes produced by the various factors involved within a persons individual investments.The name of the game is not only aim to profit but enjoy the sport but also to evolve yourself and become a better person.Today I’m introducing a new element into my selection process as well as withdrawing another which is hoped will be of overall benefit.
    Putting forward for your consideration two horses of the first is CLASSIC who very much caught the eye last time with the second being SQUEALER e/w who’s last time out third looks to give hope of at least a place here.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

While not being privy to Pat Dobbs riding instructions yesterday I’m pretty sure they didn’t include one’s to find all the trouble he managed to do so during the race and be amazed if he adds this endeavour to his list of best rides.Unfortunately this luckless effort won’t have been missed by bookmakers and is bound to influence the odds next time.However Squealer salvaged the day for us being well backed from bigger early prices.
    Going up to Pontefract for their final race on the card where topweight RAMBUSO CREEK e/w is dropped in class and looks an intriguing each way proposition at longer odds than I believe justified.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Last month on the Venture to Cognac notebook thread I berated Richard Fahey for not dropping MARINE WAVE e/w to the minimum trip following her excellent run in the Land O’Burns stakes at Ayr.Well today at York she makes her handicap debut at the minimum trip and guess it’s time to put my money where my mouth is and back the filly as a each way prospect.Given her mark is an unknown quantity it’s not easy to assess but I don’t believe it’s beyond her capabilities and shouldn’t stop the selection being put forward for your consideration from reaching at least a place as bookies are generally offering 4 places on this race.Something I’ve had on my mind the last few weeks and concerns William Haggas we are all aware he’s a good trainer with a even better than average strike rate but I’m now starting to question whether bookmakers are pricing his horses on a fear factor rather than their actual chance?He turns out the market leader in this race and although Pinafore looked impressive last time at Nottingham her overall profile doesn’t suggest to me there’s much or any real value in the price.Of course I could be wrong but then again racing is all about opinions.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Blocked in when she wanted to make her move had to be switched which I believe cost us the race yesterday and now with the cat out of the bag bookies won’t be generous about Marine Wave next time especially as the Racing Post have marked her as a ‘eyecatcher’.
    Today I believe the bookies may have dropped a real clanger in York’s final race of the day.Although recent efforts have been at 6f for me COCO JAMBOO e/w stays 7f and that’s where in my opinion her best form can be found.The filly turns out today at the lowest rating since winning a 7f nursery as a juvenile and with bookmakers paying five places believe there’s every chance of getting a decent profit from the contest as she looks to be overpriced to myself.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

With so much racing today been hard to sift so many meetings but believe have finally alighted on one I’m happy to put forward for your consideration.The final race of the York Ebor meeting has Richard Fahey running a very interesting gelding who’s been brought along slowly for his 3yo campaign and maybe even saved for today.Whatever the reasons behind it HAVE SECRET e/w ran his best race last time and looks tuned up for a crack at this prize and hopefully we can finish York on a winner after a couple of placed efforts earlier in the week and with bookies offering 5 places looks good to at least get placed.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

I swear it’s getting harder to find a decent bet and despite searching all week nothing materialised on the day until today when there’s two I’m putting forward for your consideration.In chronological order HARDY ANGEL e/w is the first to go at Beverley.This gelding not only had a late foaling date,late April,but also until last time in my opinion was being run over the wrong distance.However it did have the beneficial effect of reducing his handicap mark from the high 60’s to 56 last time which coincided with a first try at the minimum trip.He travelled well into the race and finished with a flourish looking to have more in hand than the official winning margin would have you believe and at current prices is a good each way investment.The second horse being put forward is the thrice raced Henry Candy colt SIMPLE MAN e/w who after a winning debut in an ordinary looking maiden at Nottingham was next sent to Doncaster for what seems to have turned out a hot Listed contest over 6f and not surprisingly didn’t shine at all.Put away after that Doncaster run returned in May back over 5f ran much better and only just denied a return to the winners enclosure by a short head having made up ground from the rear.Although he’s been off the course since the colts numbers suggest he’s more than capable in this grade and looking for at least a place today before going on to better things.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Not a lot of luck with Saturday’s selections firstly Hardy Angel was all dressed up and had nowhere to go with jockey saying the horse was denied a clear run being somewhat of an understatement.Simple Man simply ran no kind of race at all.Going down to what I believe to be ‘Cheeza’ country for the Lochsong Fillies handicap and putting forward for your consideration KATEY KONTENT e/w who following racing exclusively at the minimum trip steps up to 6f for the first time.Successful on debut & next race,condition & novice events,didn’t cut much ice when raised in class for her final two runs as a juvenile.Reappearing this season in another Listed contest dropped away after pressing for the lead and given a two month break.Returned to the track and ran much better when making her handicap debut at Newbury last month staying on for third and looking like a longer distance wouldn’t come amiss.For me she looks overpriced and will be disappointed if she fails to hit the frame.
    The racing league comes to my local track this evening but not going to put forward any selections just a horse to watch following a very long absence.Debuting over 7f this was quickly abandoned and this colt has put together three good performances over 6f the final time we saw him was on A/W Champions day last April when 3rd behind El Caballo & Tiber Flow.Not seen since we have no way of knowing how he’s fared in the meantime so for tonight it’s a watching brief to see if ability has been retained and see where his future might lie.
    good luck to all
    opps almost forgot to name Space Cowboy

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Not often I’m inclined to go to conditions events but LIGHT INFANTRY on his last run put up not only near career best numbers but the kind that people like myself dream about.This colt has been consistently knocking heads at the highest level without being successful acquitting himself well but with sights lowered today can get that elusive victory that’s so merited.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

As I’ve remarked previously on this thread while having no insight into jockey’s instructions I do wonder what passes as brains at times whether it be straw,sawdust or a compound similar to a/w tracks it clearly needs a cleanout as Jamie Spencer showed yesterday.On a horse that’s run it’s best from the front so allowing Point Lynas to set fractions slower than he wanted was cutting his own throat and we all saw the result.Yes you could accuse me of talking through my wallet but a display of such ineptitude in my book has to be taken to task.
    While by no means one of the main races of the day the John & Judith Marshall Memorial handicap sees an interesting handicap debutant in REAL GAIN who’s clocked up successive wins in his only juvenile run and at Chelmsford in July.Neither contest is turning out bad from a performance point of view and although looking stiff from a handicapping perspective his debut mark doesn’t look insurmountable and is taken today to continue the winning run at more than a decent price.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

The Inward Training
    Qi
    Hold the spirits within,and do not be excessive.
    Do not allow things to disorder your senses,and do not allow your senses to disorder the mind.

Going to Leicester for MOULIN BOOJ in the final contest of the day where I imagine the underfoot conditions will change as the day progresses but as the selection has already run well on heavy ground can’t see the rain coming down at the course will stop him today.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

While the most exciting horse on display for me today will be in the opening Champagne Stakes and no denying you will not be getting rich on Rosallion but hopefully we’ll be learning something more about this colt if only whether he acts on the underfoot conditions.The Portland handicap would normally be a go to race for me however I have been frustrated owing to poor stable form for my idea of those likely to do well and just don’t consider it worth the risk.One has to always remember that where a bookmaker has to offer odds,after all it’s their living,to make money you as a punter can pick and choose when to invest.On saying all that I have managed to find us a contender for the final race on the card.Following a sparkling juvenile run at Nottingham LIBERTY LANE hasn’t visited the winners enclosure since that day last October althought putting in a couple of useful runs this season.The selection returned over 10f at headquarters in April where he ran into the very useful Waipiro (currently rated 110) and not surprisingly failed to give that rival 7lb but did have a couple of good horses behind in 3rd & 4th.Didn’t cut much ice when next seen in the Dante or a Royal Ascot handicap both I believe down to the underfoot conditions.Ran much better on good ground in a Newmarket handicap in July staying on well but perhaps a touch tapped for toe in the closing stages.The return to soft ground to me looks ideal and I’ll be worried for his future if he doesnn’t at least make the frame as I consider him a good each way bet.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

No doubt most people’s attention will be either north of the border or at Newbury I shall however be going to headquarters for a bet in a small sprint which most folk I think will pass by looking to a bigger stage.For me a 5/2 winner in a group race is the same as a 5/2 one in a lower grade handicap as the returns are identical.Just ten minutes before the Gold Cup takes place my money will be on BUSSENTO in the sprint handicap at headquarters where I expect the selection being put forward for your consideration to double his winning tally.Since his debut in the dying days of July this gelding has shown himself to be useful 4th,3rd & 2nd positions were his juvenile attempts all over 7f which I found a bit puzzling as his sire is Oasis Dream.Connections persisted with this idea even making his seasonal debut over the extended 8f at Wolverhampton after which two more runs were made at the mile before reverting to 7f but still the elusive win didn’t come.The selection finally got his head in front in a weak Bath maiden winning more or less as he liked.This was left well behind last time when running probably his best race so far when a 1L 3rd to Dark Trooper in a class 2 Ascot 6f handicap,giving him every chance here having been raised just 1lb.
    A very interesting sprinter reappears following a massive layoff in Newbury’s opener who I must say took my breath away when cruising to victory in last years Chipchase Stakes beating Annaf a comfortable four lengths.However Sense of Duty has questions to answer today as it’s a first try at the minimum trip also she’s never run on such underfoot conditions,turf runs have been on good with one on good/firm,so this will be something totally new.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Just a quick heads up that I’ve invested each way on HMS SEAHORSE in tomorrows Irish Cesarewitch as I don’t think the current 33/1 will be around on Sunday.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Have a second selection to add to today in the shape of interesting handicap debutant LOVE LIES who was most unfortunate on racecourse debut finding trouble before running on late closing all the way to the line on the placed horses and maybe even give the winner that day something to think about.Put her experience to good use just under three weeks later to take a Ayr maiden comfortably.This was followed up on the a/w at Newcastle when giving weight away all round and readily putting daylight between herself and the opposition in what was probably nothing more than a run of the mill novice event.Being a April foal and unraced as a juvenile she’s progressive and likely to continue to be so for the near future at least.
    good luck to all

Viewing 17 posts - 358 through 374 (of 481 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.