The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Swearing – please refrain

Home Forums Lounge Swearing – please refrain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Could people please refrain from using expletives in message topic titles or in posts please. It is unacceptable for obvious reasons (it’s highlighted in the terms and conditions when registering as a member).

Any repeat offenders will be banned and I’d appreciate it if anyone noticing swear words on topics could pm me to let me know. Anyone who can’t get their point across without swearing is on the wrong forum I’m afraid.

Thanks

Cormack15

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Could people please refrain from using expletives in message topic titles or in posts please. It is unacceptable for obvious reasons (it’s highlighted in the terms and conditions when registering as a member).

Any repeat offenders will be banned and I’d appreciate it if anyone noticing swear words on topics could pm me to let me know. Anyone who can’t get their point across without swearing is on the wrong forum I’m afraid.

Thanks

Cormack15

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Are they allowed when you are quoting something verbatim?

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Are you sure this is necessary, Corm?

"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws"

That’s the closest reference I could get from the T&C’s. If this is meant to highlight that swearing is not allowed, it is ambiguous at best, imo.

And by your measure, I must have been on the wrong forum for years – as my stuff has routinely been littered with profanities since I started posting here.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, sexually-oriented

Doesn’t that describe most posts in the lounge?

Steve

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

As with all things on the forum Grass I try to strike a balance and, like a good football referee, try to avoid meddling.

However, over the past few days there have been several threads which have been OTT on the swearing front. I’ve now installed some word filters which will hopefully take care of the usual suspects but just wanted to remind people that the forum is viewed by people, including children, who may not be so wordly -wise as your good self.

btw – did I miss anything off that list? Hateful is a good one i confess.

It’s like a list of the forum deadly sins. The fact that there are seven of them is purely coincidental.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Sorry Corm – I’m none the wiser. Will I, or will I not, get pinged if I use a swear word?

I also think you are playing a dangerous game pulling the "this site is viewed by children" card.

Perhaps myself, insomniac and other should not bother ourselves debating Middle East politics (for example), because the subject can’t be comprehended by minors??

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I also think you are playing a dangerous game pulling the “this site is viewed by children” card.

I agree. Why should everything in society be “child friendly”?

Is TRF really looking to expand its userbase by opening its doors to the under 16s?

The lounge tends to be a place to discuss a lot of adult topics such as: politics, war, religion, sex, drugs.

Should our resident Leith dope-head be prevented from mentioning his fondness for “herbal recreation” in case it encourages kids to “experiment”?

Should LM be banned because his support for the BNP could turn impressionable minds towards racism?

And should Kotki be prevented from talking about his lifestyle in case the kiddies think it’s ok to be a worthless fekkin layabout?

Steve

carlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Oh yeah, that should be fine "try it!" I dare you……

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

It was a long time ago so I might be wrong, but I think when I first became a TRF lurker, I couldn’t access the Lounge to view posts – only the Racing forum.

Maybe the Lounge (where most of the industrial language is thrown around) can be made a closed forum, only accessible by registered members? That way, anyone under 13yo can’t get to see anything posted in there.

Dunno.

It just seems a bit extreme that any kind of swearing can get you jottered from the forum. Sometimes, the desired affect in a post, can only be given by use of a profanity.

That might be taken as a sign of a lack of vocabulary, but some of us are less perspicuous than others.

Innit.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Bollards!

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I can’t see what the problem is. Only this afternoon, I found myself drawn into an argument with a man who believed that the byelaws relating to double yellow lines were made void when one parked one’s dusty white van entirely on the pavement. I could have resorted to low and base language to make my point, but I was restrained. Upon the conclusion of our discourse, I pointed out to him that as far as I was concerned, he was a hypogastrian cranny, a dingleberry and a madge-ken. We then parted without any need for recourse to obscenity.

Take heart fellow forumites and take to your dictionaries.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

when gate-crashing foreign private poker games i always visit insultmonger.com to harvest a dozen or so useful phrases for the inevitable table banter that will arise when they discover a drunken brit has crashed their cosy little game and is attempting to relieve them of their humble currency with a smile and a joke

maybe we could swear in foreign ?

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Good call from cormack. The forum has been heading downhill over the last month or so and its good to see you taking the right action.

Just bin the avatars, animations and things will be great!!! We have enough cartoons creeping into racing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.