The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Strictly Come Dancing

Home Forums General Sports Strictly Come Dancing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tooting
    • Total Posts 379

Dear Mr Boyce,

Are you involved in this shindig?  Are we to receive your insider’s view again?  You were half decent last year, and I’m determined to be at the head of the queue this time – I’m certainly not leaving it until your pick is 1/3.

In fact, I thought I’d get ahead of the game and have a few bets before I’ve even seen them dance.

Without Betfair (or indeed your good self) to mark their cards the bookies plainly don’t have a scooby-do, such are the discrepancies.  This I like lots.  The down-side is I don’t have a scooby-do either.  

Still, there’s lots you can find with Google and a bottle of wine.

Zoe Ball looks a weak favourite to me.  OK, so she’s got long rubber legs and a mildly talented father. However, I never really got that ladette thing – it seemed somewhat sad, plus she married one of the nerds in the year below me at school, though I suppose he did go on to earn a smidgeon of fame and thruppence ha’peny schlepping around Brighton scratching LP records.

Given that a woman should win, the two I like are Patsy Palmer and Gloria Hunniford.

I’ve always wanted Patsy to be on Celeb BB or I’m a Celebrity.  I’ve always had her in my list of likely winners of these. I saw a documentary on her and her static caravan once and she came across as really genuine and able to laugh at herself.  It’s a shame she’s chosen a reality TV show where you need some talent as well!  

Still she has done a fitness video, so must have some rhythm, surely?  She’s 100/30 in one place and 8/1 elsewhere.  Imagine getting that sort of discrepancy in racing.  You’d be looking for her jockey to fall off at least.  

Gloria is probably too old for all that jitterbugging nonsense.  Believe me I know.  I’ve been playing tennis of late, and forget chasing down drop volleys, it’s all I can do to pick the balls up.

However, she is still elegant, has a large fan-base and seems to have done some ballroom dancing in the past.  Plus, of course, she will be surfing a huge wave of genuine sympathy for the death of her daughter.  8/1 with Victor chandler, 20/1 elsewhere (for 27p probably).

If there’s to be a male winner, I suppose Colin Jackson just about qualifies.   Denise Lewis (and Jonathan Edwards at the golf this weekend) showed just how competitive these world champion athletes are, and he does mince around a bit.

Plus, as a hurdler he must be incredibly agile. One time, long long ago, my PE teacher made us do some stretching exercises that hurdlers do and I still get twinges occasionally.  9/1 as a saver.

OK, so the first trickle of sweat has yet to force it’s way down the greasepaint to smudge a rictus smile, and I’m already broke.

So get on and give us the winner.

Yours in humble supplication,

Tooting<br>  

<br>

seanboyce
    • Total Posts 255

what can i say? terrible dereliction of duty. haven’t been asked to come in and do a few spots so far (it’s a vey big show now!!)<br>as a result saw none of the preview tapes etc.<br>not now telling you anything you don’t know by saying that jackson is the runner to be with.<br>wish i’d taken the 7 or 8s pre the first show but haven’t. he’s now a top price 11/8. i’m struggling to justify that as a proper bet to myself but arguably it makes sense.<br>technically he’s stong and there is no jill halpenny type ringer in this year. <br>you’re right i think that zoe ball should be taken on and i think the prodcuers will be very keen to champion a legit male conteder. <br>also in his favour is his all round liekabilty<br>bianca (or whatever her real name is) could be a slow burner to have in your portfolio a couple of judges are championing her but she’s a way behind in terms of ability.as for the mature orange lady i’m afraid i wouldn’t back her with your money.<br>Jackson is as near as dammit a good thing to make the final show i reckon and even at 11/8 is the percentage call. i’m afraid the boat has sailed though in terms of value.<br>can only apologise that i was not on the ball this time round as 3s Ball and 7s jackson would pretty much guarantee a payout<br>as things stand jackon can be no bigger than even money so any odds against is a bet but nowhere near as much fun or as much money as last time round<br>sorry!<br>

seanboyce
    • Total Posts 255

ps – your school mate the boy fat boy has done rather well from the old disc slinging but think you’re right that la ball will not be everyone’s fav gal.<br>funnily enough i’ve been passing posters all this week for another serious happening with the kids DJ called Nick Warren (headlined with Pete Tong in town on fri).<br>I was at school with him and he was a trainee game keeper at the time. we can expect the pheasant population of ibiza to flourish over the coming years!<br>funny old game, isn’t it…?

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

Thanks, Sean!

Glad I got on Colin before the off – as you say I think he’s a great bet at odds against, and I’ve gone in again.

The other two bets don’t look so inspired, not to mention I topped up on Jaye Jacopbs – oops.   Patsy could hang on for a while yet – such a shame she can’t dance!

Sorry that the programme has become too big for your talents!  Surely Claudia Winkelman can squeeze in a betting update on her 6:30 weeknight campfest.

cheltboy
    • Total Posts 129

sean, i agree. ColinJ can only improve. the 11/8 at corals will not be there for long.

seanboyce
    • Total Posts 255

Wouldn’t give up just yet on your Patsy Palmer punt as there are clear signs of the judges rooting for her and she has a lot of scope for improvement!<br>As ever with this thing you need to find someone who is certain to make it to the very closing stages and then beyond that you want to be on someone with sufficient popularity to win even if they’re pipped by the judges as the public have the final say.<br>Colin Jackson does come across as very very likeable and for that reason even if Zoe Ball outpoints him in the final (by no means certain by the way) he would still be my favourite to go on and win.<br>Well done picking him out early you are now sitting very pretty indeed.<br>Good luck all

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.