The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

St James Palace Stakes 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 St James Palace Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Mastercraftsman at evens? 11/10 best odds and blimey, even a 4/5 with Laddys?

This should be fun.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The horse was 3/1 9/4 7/4 with Cashmans right after the Irish 2000 guineas and I had a right set too with bully regarding him not needing soft ground. Nothing has changed my mind and as I said then anything odds against this horse is stealing money. Those that said he was too short will be wishing they could get those prices now.

This looks like a stroll in the park for Mastercraftsman no mater what the ground is like. Good old Corals have gone out on a limb again and are offering 5/4 but that won’t last day IMO

Taking it both he and Gladiatorus live up to expecatations and win well at Ascot I would love to see them in a head to head sometime in the near future. That would be something to look forward too.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Fist

He doesn’t need soft ground, but might need an army of pacemakers to win it on fast?
    Outpaced over 7 in the Criterium, then outpaced again on faster ground in the Guineas, I think he’s up against it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

If it wasn’t for the fact he impressed me so much in the Irish Guineas I might agree with you but I agree with AOB when he said he was over the top in France.

In the 2000 guineas at Newmarket he ran well enough but I don’t believe for 1 minute he was anything like 100% that day. There were too many bad vibes coming out of the yard and he was continuously drifting in the market. Mind you haklf the world knew weeks before Murtagh wasn’t going to ride him that didn’t help.

Despite Delegator finishing well in front of him in the guineas he was backed off the boards in Ireland. A lot of that could be put doen to the fact the ground was against Delegator but a lot of it must have been due to the fact he was a different horse going into the race.

Ass a two year old I didn’t like the horse but when he was right and did encounter fast ground he had no problem disposing of the Coventry Stakes and Middle Park winners over 6f.

I doubt if any of these will outpace him but fuly expect him to oupace them.

Delegator will have his followers but I think he’s a flash in the pan who’s had his day. I think he showed signs of not try geting a mile at Newmarket and could be found out here. I fancy Evasive will be well fired up for this if SMS’s record is anything to go by he will have improved and he’ll be the one for the forecast.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I just read Fortune will replace Spencer on Delegator which might please some. Apparantly because Meehan said they would take turns depending on who was available

They couldn’t just bring is the news they had to stick their oar in and say Spencer came to early in the guineas.

I say bullsh!t the horse wasn’t good enough and I don’t believe he gets a mile in top class……..just for the record

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Given fast ground there’s absolutely no reason why Mastercraftsman should reverse 2000 Guineas form with Delegator. The latter stuffed the Dante third in the Craven having travelled supremely well, and was only beaten off in the final furlong at Newmarket by a subsequent Derby winner.

There are no questions about his ability on a firm surface and there are no questions about his ability to stay.

I’ll be amazed if he doesn’t win this – 4/1 about him is crazy.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Equi
    I’d seriously question Delegator’s ability to stay.
    The form book is littered with horses that almost got the Rowley mile, but didn’t have an earthly of surviving the stiffer Ascot test.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Given fast ground there’s absolutely no reason why Mastercraftsman should reverse 2000 Guineas form with Delegator. The latter stuffed the Dante third in the Craven having travelled supremely well, and was only beaten off in the final furlong at Newmarket by a subsequent Derby winner.

There are no questions about his ability on a firm surface and there are no questions about his ability to stay.

I’ll be amazed if he doesn’t win this – 4/1 about him is crazy.

Given that Mastercraftsan has shown that he gets a strongly run mile in heavy ground and wins on g/f too, wouldn’t you say he’s more likey to finish in front of Delegator with the aid of a pacemaker – which will surely be the tactics here? Of course, it would be hilarious if it back fired in the favour of Delegator, but I don’t think that’ll happen…

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

If Mastercraftsman had been given a prep run,prior to the 2000gns he would have beaten Sea the Stars IMO,it was pretty obvious to me the horse was not 100% fit! His run in the Irish 2000gns confirmed that! Delegator is obviously a big danger, he is a proper miler that could be dropped back in trip as he travels like a class horse with speed to burn! I can see the Master winding this up from the front, but i can see Delegator
    hanging on to his tail all the way home! The Master will out battle him should it come down to a "gloves off" finish! I look forward to see the in running market,I hope Evasive runs too,should be a cracker!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I wouldn’t go that far but I doubt if there would have been much in it.

A fully fit Mastercraftsman would have been looking to take it up at least two furlongs out but let’s not forget Sea the Star was travelling awfully easy throughout the entire race.

I do have reservations about how much Sea the Stars would find if another 3 year old could take him off the bridle but finding one who could is easier said than done.

I really can’t see what people see in Delegator Meehan couldn’t place two lego bricks together :lol: Horse should be running over 7 furlongs somehwere in Austria. 9/2? wouldn’t have what TAPK has in his pocket at the moment and we all know he sits at his computer naked :P

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Is anyone worried that all of Mastercraftsmans best form is at the Curragh? 5 runs there 5 wins, 2 runs away from there 2 defeats.

At a good price I’d take a chance but not at 5/4 or shorter.

Delegator I’m worried about stamina-wise.

Could throw up a funny result this race.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Is Mastercraftsman such a good thing ?

I think It will be much tougher for him this time than it was at the Curragh.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Lets not kid ourselves that Mastercraftsman has gears! He is a powerful
    galloper, he can wind things up gradually,but ultimately if he hasn"t stretched his opponents to the limit, then something that can quicken will
    be his undoing! Delegator is a big danger,he looks the part,he travels smoothly,and he can quicken! I hope the Master wins but i am convinced
    Ascots round mile is not his ideal course,there are bigger days to come for
    this fellow! Juddmonte International "Mastercraftsman v Sea the stars"!

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Aidan O’Brien seems very adept at producing horses fit and ready to run for their lives in the 2000 Guineas ( all of his winners of the race – Henrythenavigator , George Washington, Footstepsinthesands, Rock of Gibraltar & King of Kings – won on their seasonal debuts ) so why was Mastercraftsman so desperately in need of the run for this year’s renewal ? And I clearly remember Aidan saying that the horse had a trouble-free Guineas’ preparation.

It seems that plenty of people are willing in this instance to take heavy ground form at face value.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Master will win i am certain of that…..He loves Fast Ground.
    Cant wait to see him power up the straight….he is a galloper relentless one at that. Not much change of gear but he wont weaken thats for sure…he can only lose if done for pace. With Delegator out the back and Evasive not being good enough i cant see him being beat

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Deeringbet offers 4/1 Wallace.

Please place your wager in the toilet bowl. :wink:

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Deeringbet offers 4/1 Wallace.

Please place your wager in the toilet bowl. :wink:

4/1 for what?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.