The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Spectators at fences – Cheltenham

Home Forums Horse Racing Spectators at fences – Cheltenham

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

Spectators and photographers at fences needs looking at. Accident waiting to happen

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

Utter farce at that last fence. Ridiculous

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Agreed, but I suspect ginge will be along with his mates in a minute to tell you off for posting this here and move this thread, along with all the rest on the general racing section, along to the Cheltenham section.

If this forum was a ball, it would have been taken home long ago.

Lighten up peeps, it’s supposed to be your happiest time of the year.

RichK
    Participant
    • Total Posts 201

Not only that, but the last hurdle lined with people, even when the horses having to bypass the last fence woukd be getting really close to the hurdle.

That really was a total shambles.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

Not only that, but the last hurdle lined with people, even when the horses having to bypass the last fence woukd be getting really close to the hurdle.

That really was a total shambles.

Yeah, crowds on the course is a joke, especially as that hurdle is still being used.

Why were there no officials infront of the fence making it clear ?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Could have changed the result of the race as well.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

Geraghty reported after the race that if Andrew Lynch had jumped the last he would have as well. He said it looked like only the inner part of the fence dolled off. The jockeys clearly unsure about what was the correct course of action.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

And you can have as many Cheltenham threads as you like ANYWHERE on the forum.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

If any of the horses had jumped that hurdle after being steered around the last, it would have been carnage.
    Laughing stock tbh

TheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1079

There wasn’t even a Stewards inquiry which did confuse me, were the jockeys supposed to jump the fence or what? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

They were clearly confused as only a small segment was dolled off.

Amazing logic in the explanation given just now..

So the reason they decided to bring the boards in towards the rail to doll the WHOLE fence off, rather than leave them where they were, meaning the…WHOLE fence was

still

dolled off, was…well, it does’t matter does it? It makes no ******* sense at all!

They thought they’d try prevent a possible disaster by almost creating another one. Typical.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28449

Agreed, but I suspect ginge will be along with his mates in a minute to tell you off for posting this here and move this thread, along with all the rest on the general racing section, along to the Cheltenham section.

If this forum was a ball, it would have been taken home long ago.

Lighten up peeps, it’s supposed to be your happiest time of the year.

:lol:

Lighten up :? It’s you who’s keeps finding fault SBerry. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

:lol: and I’ve just noticed that the forum clock is now right :shock:

When did that happen?

(apologies Corm, if this should be in the forum clock section)

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28449

Think there’ll be an enquirey in to what happened, doesn’t have to be a stewards enquirey.

Man with flag could have been a little further out on to the course.

They moved the boards to protect an injured jockey and photographer on the inner.

Might need more boards in future, but I suppose as far as stewards are concerned, jockeys should know the rules. Part of a fence is never jumped in Britain. There’s no excuse, jockeys should know the rules and go around the fence. Which is what the original stewards statement meant. May seem tough, but true.

I agree they need to look in to how close photographers get to fences, but presumably photography is a cut throat business and want to be close to the action. So even if they make a decision to make it safer for photographers, photographers themselves might not want it.

Did seem a bunch of people too close as they came around the fence.

Think some are banker (sorry) stewards bashing. Or jumping to conclusions. Of course they should look at it, doesn’t need to be immediately.

Value Is Everything
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Jamie Stier has just been on saying that they grouped the boards towards the inside as it prevented potential loose horses from jumping right into the middle of the stricken horse/jockey.

This seems fair enough.

The jockeys were notified by the boards, the chequered flag waver and by whistle, as has been the case in every similar event for the last seventeen years. Even I know that we don’t jump half a fence(!), so there should have been no confusion there.

I think it is unfortunate that the incident happened where it did as there is not much distance between the fence in question and the previous one and the fences at Cheltenham are very wide. This made the swerve manouevre tricky.

Authorities may look at extra boards at fences so groundstaff can build an off-putting ‘wall’ and still have spares for the remainder of the fence.

There should be no punters on the track or so ludicrously close to fences/hurdles.

Mike

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6291

@sberry

If you don’t like the way we run "TRF" why do you stay?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Maybe I like racing and can laugh at the pomposity, maybe it’s a shame so many people who used to post here didn’t stay.

Listen to yourself – bad day at the office was it?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.