The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Spanish Grand Prix

Home Forums General Sports Spanish Grand Prix

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mabbs
    • Total Posts 7

SPANISH GRAND PRIX

It’s race five and onto the Spanish Grand Prix we go. After Schumacher’s impressive display last time, all eyes will be on the German once again, especially as this is the debut of the new Ferrari.

Our first selection for the race is the man who has the home support, Fernando Alonso. Alonso has already been on the podium twice this season, and his first visit, at the Malaysian Grand Prix, was the result of a heroic drive when the Spaniard was suffering from flu. Despite his illness he claimed pole position on the Saturday, and followed that up with a third placed finish in the race.

Jaguar’s Antonio Pizzonia has been given a very public ‘shape up or ship out’ message from his team and if he wasn’t under enough pressure before, he is now. Pizzonia’s biggest problem in his rookie season has been qualifying. So far this year he’s been slower than team-mate Mark Webber in seven out of eight sessions (though for one of those he didn’t actually make it out onto the track). The good thing for Pizzonia is that aside from Silverstone, he probably knows the Circuit de Catalunya the best, so if he is to be judged on performance, then he couldn’t wish for a better circuit for his judgement day.

Again it’s another tough puzzle to solve this week and it’s become very hard to find an edge now the Maclaren’s have shown their true ability. As Ferrari have a new car this week, I will again take a chance and lay Schumacher. Our other plays will be for the consistent Trulli to finish amongst the points and also a podium finish for Juan Pablo Montoya.

Recommended bets as follows:

SPANISH GRAND PRIX

1/2PT LAY M.SCHUMACHER 1.87 BETFAIR

1/2PT POINTS FINISH J.TRULLI 11/8 BET365

1/4PT PODIUM FINISH J.P.MONTOYA 2/1 PADDY POWER

1/2PT E/W F.ALONSO 66/1 SKY BET

Already advised:

DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP

1PT E/W D.COULTHARD 20/1 UK BETTING

1PT E/W K.RAIKKONEN 18/1 UK BETTING

+14PTS To Recommended Stakes.

Best of luck.

Mabbs

Mabbs
    • Total Posts 7

66/1 2nd e/w and unlcuky with Montoya 4th, nice profit again all the same.:biggrin:

Tete Rouge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 119

Great stuff from Alonso, again.  He really is superstar material …

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Alonso was just one of the quiet youngsters for the last season or two but the Renault takeover of Benetton has really given him a chance and he’s been SO impressive.

Never saw it coming at the beginning of the season, but he’s a seriously talented bloke.

Shame his team mate hasn’t had the best of luck, but Alonso (as highlighted by the ITV commentators today) can only get better when he gets more confident. That’s quite a refreshing approach as opposed to Montoya’s debut year when basically came to the track, got in a car and proceeded to get in everyone’s way :laugh:

Really interesting season so far, I was a bit daunted by the drastic changes but it really is paying off.

Tete Rouge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 119

Montoya came from Cart – oh, sorry, "Champ Cars" as they insist on calling them these days – and had been a very convincing and very talented champion there.  He’s a great driver, but impulsive.  I certainly don’t agree that he "got in everyone’s way".  He has raw talent in spadeloads, but not necessarily the wherewithal to apply it in F1.

Alonso came from F3000 – a "junior" formula and a more conventional route.  He had a few races with Minardi in 2001 and was test driver for Benetton/Renault, whatever the hell they want to call themselves, last year.  I’m VERY impressed by his approach, his speed and his technique.  If he carries on, IMO he is the potential successor to Schumacher – he appears to have the brains, the talent and the application.  Great stuff.  

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

OK maybe I said it wrong about Montoya.

In his first season though the press all reported that the other drivers were at odds with his attitude, and weren’t ready to put up with it, and I did think he was impulsive as you say, at least.

He’s a lot better now, but Alonso has a much better and indeed safer mentality I feel at the same stage in his career.

My ex-boss summed it up when I asked his opinions on Montoya and he shot back "arrogant little sod" – a year ago, well I’ll admit he’s not so bad but in his first season I’d agree :biggrin:

Tete Rouge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 119

I wouldn’t say that Montoya was any more arrogant than the rest of them.  He was already champion of a formula that is supposed to be the equivalent of F1 (though I think F1 fans would disagree …).  Think about Schumacher.  And Senna.  Arrogance has almost become a prerequisite in F1.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.