The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Modern trends that get up my swede…

Home Forums Lounge Modern trends that get up my swede…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

It’s a ‘fluffer’, Michael. :)

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5148

Now, just for the record, I will state that I prefer wet-shaving over electric shavers. Also, my profound love for and affinity with the environment does not stretch quite so far as to preclude my use of disposable razors, albeit sparingly (I am a miserable sod who only shaves twice a week).

Take up the cut-throat and you’ll soon discover what a con and waste of money multi-blades are.

I have two 60+ year old Cadman Bengall hand-forged in Sheffield carbon-steel-with-bakelite-handle blades handed down from my father. Smooth as a baby’s bottom and a truly wunnerful experience for the twice or thrice a week scraper.

As for irritating modern trends:

Asda’s naff Colleagues’ Parking instead of Staff Parking

Customer Service Manager instead of Guard

Team Leader

Train station instead of Railway station

"Can I get a cup of coffee please" what is wrong with "Could I have"

The holding of candle-lit vigils

The reappearance of the flared trouser

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I agree with Insomniac’s dislike of people mouthing off on mobile phones – especially if the person is sitting behind me on a bus.

I found Aranalde’s post amusing. I have just come back from the newsagents so my own dislike at the moment is Shop assistants who ask me how I am when I walk in and tell me to ‘ Have a nice day ‘ when I leave and talk in that irritating american loud manner. Don’t they realise how false they sound? A pleasant hello and goodbye is all I need. I’d even say grumpy shop assistants are preferable as at least they are being sincere.

Why does this country have to copy everything the americans do :evil:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Take up the cut-throat and you’ll soon discover what a con and waste of money multi-blades are.

I have two 60+ year old Cadman Bengall hand-forged in Sheffield carbon-steel-with-bakelite-handle blades handed down from my father. Smooth as a baby’s bottom and a truly wunnerful experience for the twice or thrice a week scraper.

Do you use these with regular foam/gel, Drone, or do you carry on with the old-school experience and use the brush-and-soap combo? Never tried a cut-throat myself – the years of toil have moved my hands too far down towards the ‘shoogly’ end of the scale, I fear.

What’s wrong with "Please may I have…….."??

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I have just come back from the newsagents so my own dislike at the moment is Shop assistants who ask me how I am when I walk in and tell me to ‘ Have a nice day ‘ when I leave and talk in that irritating american loud manner. Don’t they realise how false they sound? A pleasant hello and goodbye is all I need. I’d even say grumpy shop assistants are preferable as at least they are being sincere.

Quite right. Why give them the benefit of the doubt.

There’s no place for good manners in the modern world.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

What’s wrong with "Please may I have…….."??

I don’t care much for any of them, to be honest; I was always given to understand that "I would like….. please" is the most polite, even if it goes right over the head of Spotty Herbert ThreeStarsAwayFromTeamLeader at my local KFC each and every time.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

My main irritation right now is everything "green".

"Carbon Footprint"
    "Carbon Offsetting"
    "Carbon Neutral"

God I just want to vomit.

And "green banking" with HSBC. CO2 makes up just a tiny percent of the atmosphere, and Britain’s CO2 output is 2% of the global total. So STOP GOING ON ABOUT IT FFS!!!

Also, government adverts on TV, like "use your head: teach". Who would want to teach a load of insolent, undisciplined brats starting at around £20K? And an extra salary for London? You might need your bulletproof vest. No offence to teachers – my best friend is just starting her first teaching job – but how do you do it?!

Finally, for the moment, public transport and dog owners. Even worse, combine them. I was on the train to London yesterday and some chavvy woman dumps this disgusting rat-like dog creature on the seat next to me, and then asks me to move seats so she can shove her dog there. I told her where to shove it. It seems a trend for dog and children owners to let their rabble run everywhere at the expense of everyone else’s peace and quiet.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2676

It’s a ‘fluffer’, Michael.

Oooh, qu’est-ce que c’est?

“Can I get a cup of coffee please” what is wrong with “Could I have”

Absolutely. I was running a bar for a quiz night a few months ago when a lady asked me if she could “get a coca-cola.” I replied that this wasn’t an episode of ‘Friends’ and she could have a coca-cola.

I don’t think she understood. Ho-hum.

Mike

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5148

Do you use these with regular foam/gel, Drone, or do you carry on with the old-school experience and use the brush-and-soap combo? Never tried a cut-throat myself – the years of toil have moved my hands too far down towards the ‘shoogly’ end of the scale, I fear.

Aerosol foam/gels are another waste of money. A wooden bowl of hard shaving soap and to a lesser extent glycerine-based shaving cream are very good value for money in comparison and give a much more satisfactory and comfortable shave when used with a badger-hair brush: cut-throat or multi-blade.

Maybe on dodgy ground using the fleece of dear old Brock but I rationalise it by knowing the hair comes exclusively from Chinese badgers where they are not endangered and apparantly are eaten too. So the hair is a pc by-product.

Rather like vegetarians wearing leather shoes.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5148

Some more 21st century annoyances:

back-to-back instead of successive

…did his chance no harm at all

hit the ground running

solutions (see Private Eye)

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

It’s got to be tossers with sunglasses ON the tops of their head. WTF’s all that about??

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Baseball caps .. even worse if they are on backwards.

quixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

The Office jargon that drives me potty:
    Downsizing – geting rid of people
    Mission Statement – let’s write down what we’re meant to do & stick it on the wall
    Human Resources – as opposed to trained monkeys
    Documentation Centre – Filing Room
    Team Building – as opposed to a brick building!
    I hear what your’e saying – well answer my question then you twit!!

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

When you are standning waiting on the bus and an old lady says hello but then gives you her life story, there was this woman who was telling me about her husband in the war and her son’s friend went horse riding, i know she was only being nice but doesn’t half make you feel awkward!

Or how about chavs, what are they all about?
    Or men that put on the macho thing to impress a girl, hellloooooo that’s a noooooo no! including pervy men!
    or how about all the victoria beckham wanna bes arrrg please!

i’ve had my rant now haha :lol:

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

In todays politically correct society where virtually everything you eat drink smoke & use, is going to kill you, I detest :

Non Smoking pubs,
    Preachy ex smokers,
    Women at ATM machines, open her bag, take out her purse, close her bag, open her purse, take out her card, close her purse, open her bag, put back in her purse, close her bag, put the card in the machine, put in the wrong pin number, eventually remembers the right pin, takes an absoluete eternity getting her cash as she still doesn’t know how to use the machine after using it for the last 20 years, eventually gets her cash and the bag thing starts all over again.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.