The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Modern trends that get up my swede…

Home Forums Lounge Modern trends that get up my swede…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

1) Diana memorial services / concerts / TV documentaries etc. etc. The woman’s dead, how long must we endure this cult?

2) People who leave bouquets of flowers / cuddly toys / messages etc. at scenes of death. Does anybody know how to grieve with dignity nowadays? (I suppose this stems from the vomit-inducing mass-hysteria outside Buck. Pal. after Diana died). If you believe in a god then go to the funeral, if you don’t, then why bother. Grieving is like having a w*nk, best done in private.

3) People who converse on their mobile phones at a volume that ensures any one else within a 1 mile radius must put up with their prattling.

4) The use of the expression "free-up" as in "free-up resources" AND "head-up" as in " he’s going to head-up the new company".

Anyone else agree, disagree or have their own pet hates?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I don’t like the use of the word GUY, that has slowly crept into the vocabulary, anyone who says that wants shot really.

Heads up, doesn’t bother me too much .. I think the old version was either ‘mooch around’ or ‘lording it about’ .. probably more accurate ?

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Though I might not have put it quite like that, I agree wholeheartedly with points one and two.

Oh and point three as well. Paramedics, policemen and MI5 operatives are the only members of society who’s phone calls are important enough that they should need to make them in public. Everyone else should belt up. Sales people and tedious little executives with too much gel in their hair should have their phones confiscated for their own good.

Point four. Oh my, where to begin. The English language is abused so often and with such flagrancy that if it were a smaller, more vulnerable language it would be taken into care. The following execrable examples are those that I have witnessed with my own eyes (and been powerless to prevent):

Cascade
    Migrate
    Benchmarking
    Touch base
    Draw down
    Populate
    Behaviours
    Competencies
    Values

When a plumber uses jargon, it has a purpose. When an accounts manager or a company director employs the words above, it is because they are imbeciles.

Since I am in an angry phase let me continue through points 5 – 9

5. People who tailgate. If I am doing forty-five miles an hour in a forty mile an hour zone I do not expect to find my rear view mirror full of dirty white van. Back off morons!

6. Telesales people asking me if I am the homeowner. To these I usually reply that no, I am in fact a burglar who can’t bear to let a phone ring unanswered.

7. People I’ve never met calling me ‘mate’. The only people who should be allowed to do this are Australians (who, after all, don’t know any better) and anyone with whom I have mated (a small and exclusive section of society). Since I have never mated with an Australian, there is no confusion between the two groups.

8. People who use the expression, "So then I turned round and said…" This expression is only appropriate if you originally had your back to the person to whom you were talking. If you were facing them to start with, then turning round would rather take the edge off whatever brilliant put-down you were about to unleash, since you would be facing in the opposite direction. Equally, anyone who inserts the word, ‘like’ into every sentence, unless they are from Norfolk and those people who feel compelled to suffix every expression with "know what I mean" unless they are Stephen Hawking in which case we probably don’t know what he means and would welcome further elucidation.

9. Razorlight

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

Nothing wrong with good mannors lol! Wish i could meet a guy with some decent mannors :lol: very rare that i do arrrg

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I just hate people acting like w*nkers in general. Everytime someone gives me a strange look in the street which happens quite often I just think w*nker. It’s really annoying

I know what you mean. There’s nothing worse than people looking at you is there. Some of them even make sarcastic comments like, ‘Good morning’ or ‘How are you’. W*nkers.

Wish i could meet a guy with some decent mannors

I was at Eton with a chap who’s father owned a manor. He only had the one though, as I recall.

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

1) Diana memorial services / concerts / TV documentaries etc. etc. The woman’s dead, how long must we endure this cult?

Going to Mass, celebrating Christmas, eating Easter eggs etc etc the man’s dead, how long must we endure this cult?

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

Wish i could meet a guy with some decent mannors

lol manners rather :lol: oops

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Going to Mass, celebrating Christmas, eating Easter eggs etc etc the man’s dead, how long must we endure this cult?

:lol:

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

My pet hate phrase is "roll-out" which should only ever apply to barrels. Everything seems to be "rolled-out" nowadays – what happened to ‘introduced’ or ‘implemented’?

But the most gut-wrenching vomit-inducing and thoroughly naff sign of the times is how everyone under the age of 35 cannot speak without an antipodean upswing at the end of a sentence.

"So I, like, went to the movies? With, like, a friend of mine?"

It’s a statement not a ******* question idiot.

Mike

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Point four. Oh my, where to begin. The English language is abused so often and with such flagrancy that if it were a smaller, more vulnerable language it would be taken into care. The following execrable examples are those that I have witnessed with my own eyes (and been powerless to prevent):

Cascade
    Migrate
    Benchmarking
    Touch base
    Draw down
    Populate
    Behaviours
    Competencies
    Values

May I point you in the direction of the following for more of the same;

http://www.zimmerposse.com

Click on the link marked “Buzzword Bingo Stakes” and prepare to be appalled. Knowing my love of racing, one of the other members of my gang at a former place of work created this commentary based on ALL the buzzwords one member of SMT trotted out during a single one-hour meeting.

This was the same company that not only didn’t notice when we started slipping made-up pieces of business twaddle such as “rubber volcano” and “carnivorous mallard” into internal emails, but then started quoting them in memos and mailshoots itself. Happy days. Arf.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Now, just for the record, I will state that I prefer wet-shaving over electric shavers. Also, my profound love for and affinity with the environment does not stretch quite so far as to preclude my use of disposable razors, albeit sparingly (I am a miserable sod who only shaves twice a week).

But…

Five blades? FFS!

I guess it’s like ‘one more’ (in the truest spirit of Spinal Tap), but goodness alone knows where this might lead. Stop. Now. It’s ridiculous. The best a man can get? Lick my love pump, Gillette.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

NV .. your a dinosaur .. :D

MY boss at work says shite like ‘are you successfully deployed and have you got your people despatching the actions on your plan in a timely manner .. ?’

To which I always reply .. ‘Oh, **** aye .. we’re all despatching like mad.’
    .. funny thing is, is he thinks I’m serious and he’s doing his talking on all levels bit.

Another one was .. ‘Dave, we need to go over this plan, I’ll call you tomorrow in the AM and we’ll go over a few points’
    ‘When’s that that?’ me.
    ‘Tomorrow morning.’
    ‘Oh right, I wondered what you was on about then.’

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Soul Mate :shock:

Anyone who dies these days is automatically described as the bereaved’s soul mate – even though they only met them the night before and can barely remember the action that Malaysian horse Shaggadelic was named after.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Now, just for the record, I will state that I prefer wet-shaving over electric shavers. Also, my profound love for and affinity with the environment does not stretch quite so far as to preclude my use of disposable razors, albeit sparingly (I am a miserable sod who only shaves twice a week).

But…

Five blades? FFS!

I guess it’s like ‘one more’ (in the truest spirit of Spinal Tap), but goodness alone knows where this might lead. Stop. Now. It’s ridiculous. The best a man can get? Lick my love pump, Gillette.

NV, I’m afraid that I have to step-in and defend the five-bladed wonder that is the Gillette Fusion.

It is undoubtedly the finest manual shaving implement forged by the hand of Man, and this really is a case of more-is-more.

I too thought it was a gimmick, but got a freebie in the post, tried it, and I will never go back. It provides the closest and most effortless shave you can imagine.

Cheers
    Grass

CEO – Gillette (A division of DRAX Chemicals, Dyes & Munitions)

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

Didn’t they use the strap-line "The first blade shaves you close, the second blade closer still"?

So what’s the point of the first blade then?

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.