The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sodexo Gold Cup 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Sodexo Gold Cup 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059

Usual string entry, but plenty with alternative engagements…..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/2/ascot/2020-10-31/768147

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/sodexho-gold-cup-handicap-chase/winner

Kim Bailey holds a strong hand, but both Vinndication and Imperial Aura are double booked. I’d imagine one of them would come here, but which one? The 7’s looks fairly big for Imperial Aura, but he could easily go Carlisle.

The three who stand out, are standing dishes in these big Ascot Handicaps, namely….

Black Corton
    Regal Encore
    Valtor

No secrets with any of them, but at the prices, the 12’s appeals with Regal Encore. That seems fair right now, but I’ll hold off.

Roll Again wouldn’t be the most obvious at this stage, but glimpses of promise, and some appeal at 20’s, while at the same price, I wouldn’t be writing off Militarian.

That’s the shortlist of five, and if forced right now, I’d be with Regal Encore.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 152

I always take note of anything Venetia sends to Ascot so I’d be with you VTC regarding Roll Again as I don’t think Aso stays 3M otherwise I’d be all over him because he’s a horse I love, just goes out from the front and tries his heart out. Looks a really good race there’s a few at big odds who have good form at Ascot who take the eye notably Flying Angel and Valtor and I’ve always been a Adrien Du Pont fan and he’s creeping back to a decent looking mark. Come to think of it Whatmore caught my eye a few times last season as well….. I could fancy half of these!

Although Cyrname is entered here and I don’t think he’ll run I think the fact Vinndication would be getting 15lbs off him will probably tempt Kim Bailey to come here rather than the Charlie Hall which is a shame because I fancy him for the Charlie Hall and if I fancied him for that I’d have to give him a big chance here unless something really did have half a stone up their sleeve.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4718

The market not given much away after 48 hour declarations came out today and I suspect the outsiders will be at longer prices in the next couple of days.

There are a fair few older horses in this race who are well exposed. While this doesn’t stop any of them winning it’s not an area I’d be looking for value.

Top rated on my figures is DJANGO DJANGO and although this one has a class jump to make he is very interesting. His recent form shows best runs off a break and he sluiced up at Newbury off an 80 day break before disappointing off a shorter gap between races at Catterick. Any rain would likely help though present ‘good to soft’ isn’t something that would put me off.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059

It doesn’t look like a race where I can justify betting three, and unfortunately my initial trio are still there…

Black Corton 13-2
    Regal Encore 9’s
    Valtor 12’s

Cracking looking race, and swaying towards Black Corton, but I’ll give it till tomorrow.

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 82

The 12-1 for Valtor is a great price. He will do for me in a trappy looking race.

waroftheroses
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25

Blaklion takes a leap of faith here, but I thought the improvement from Don Poli was worth noting last week, so I will go with the old boy at 14-1

Kendicate
    Participant
    • Total Posts 62

I see you have picked out my tricast there VTC

only Bet365 going 12s anymore on valtour everyone else going 9s or less

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 73

Regal Encore for me. 12 years young now so it’s probably a sentimental bet but his course form is fantastic and he’s still on a winnable mark if the fire still burns (which his trainer has said it does).

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1273

Plenty of old favourites here. Walk In The Mill is likely being put right for another Becher bid, so I’ll leave him be.

Might Bite is very interesting now in handicaps and I’d wager he’s being prepared for bigger targets ahead, perhaps even Aintree if he shows the spark is still there. All the same he’s too big to ignore.

Townsend is a course and distance winner and only 3lb higher now. He’s also the only runner not making their seasonal appearance, so I’m happy to have a go at a big price.

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 557

I’m another for Valtor here, although I’ve missed that very nice 12-1 + the best I could get was 15-2

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 466

At 14/1 I have to give Might Bite a shot at it. Surely Nicky Henderson must remain hopefull that there is something left. If he is anywhere near his old level he will be in the mix in this race.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17059

Ken, I’ll certainly be doing that Tricast myself.

Can’t possibly justify betting three in a race like this, so very reluctantly, I’ll drop Valtor.

Black Corton getting bet, so went early, and hopefully beat 12’s for Regal Encore.

Black Corton 13-2
    Regal Encore

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 267

This might be the race that confirms he’s gone, but I will chance Might Bite at 20-1

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 530

Big race for Henderson , Valtor has the course form …Might bite must be sipping a pint in the last chance saloon , wouldn’t be surprised to see his name next on the retirement thread ….

Captain Robbo
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

I would rate that a more biblical comeback than the 2nd coming of Christ if Might Bite was to win today but wish you well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.