The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sentimental Selections

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Sentimental Selections

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

Being your proverbial mug punter, I usually can’t resist a small bet when I see a horse with a name I particularly like. So I thought I might have a little thread about it. It’s guaranteed to show a loss of course, but can’t do much worse than some of the tipping service bods that prowl this section.

Archie Rice was John Osborne’s fading vaudevillian waster in his play The Entertainer, memorably played by Olivier in the film version. A chaser of lost causes, a serial adulterer, and a professional avoider of the income tax man. A bit of an old sod really but not all bad.

Archie Rice runs in the last at epsom, and carries my two pounds to win at 46 and two pounds to place at 10.5.

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

Should have known not to entrust my money to a loser like old Archie.

Running total minus four quid.

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

I’ve spotted another one whose name is the same (well almost) as a character Olivier played (maybe this is going to turn into a system based on literary characters I liked :shock:). Pride And Prejudice was one of my ‘O’ level novels and I loved it, so I’ve thrown a few buttons on Darcey, Carlisle 4.15. £2 win at 7.4, £2 place at 2.12.

All of my information is provided entirely free of charge, incidentally :lol:

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

Well that’s 24p towards my Royal Ascot bank 8)

– £3.76.

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

As a Motown man I can’t resist The Temptations to have a small bet on Soul City. The horse was a Starr for Hannon last season, the stable is in Supreme form, and The Contours of the course might just suit Soul City I feel.

£2 win @ 28, £2 place @ 4.3.

*places bet, quickly gets coat and exits humming Barrett Strong*

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

What’s Goin’ On?

– £7.76

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.