The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sectional Timing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Anyone have any news on Turftrax expanding its sectional timing to other tracks anytime in the near future.  Why isnt it becoming more available at more tracks?

Thanks

Cav

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I’m told that TurfTrax intend to cover all four all-weather tracks fully during the winter. The reason why they are not already all-encompassing is because they are a commercial organisation with overheads and need to see more of a return on their investment before they extend further.  

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Thanks Pru

That makes sense from TurfTrax’s point of view.  I cant understand why a course like Ascot and all the money they have spent recently dont provide it though.  In fact it should be available from all the Grade 1 flat tracks.

johnt4124
    • Total Posts 36

Well they not doubt know their own business, but not covering the likes of Royal Ascot and the Epsom derby meeting seems a major mistake.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Where does the revenue stream for them come from?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

To me sectionals from the Derby meeeting or Royal Ascot would be a lot more in demand commercially than those from Southwell and the likes in the depths of winter.  However maybe the tracks themselves have objections or a veto that TurfTrax can do nothing about?

RobinFromIreland
    • Total Posts 72

Over in Woodbine….Trackus

The Future

johnt4124
    • Total Posts 36

Thanks for the link Robin, it is mind blowing!

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

It is the tracks that can’t see any point in enabling the provision of any racing data to anyone not attending at the course.<br>Turftrax do want to cover every course with sectional timing and proper going data. Without any central leadership their initiative is left to individual tracks to agree with or not. Sectional timing from Newmarket (free anyrate) and random other courses is of little commercial use. If the data was complete for all courses (as we were promised for June 2006) then more people would likely subscribe to Turftrax. A chicken and egg situation with the small company willing to have a go being thwarted by the indifferent, self serving establishment, allowing another UK development to be exploited by others in N America.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

<br>Robert,

I see you have now decided it isn’t owners and trainers that should be blamed for the lack of sectional timing, although I’ve yet to see any apology for the remarks made on another thread made before you changed your view.

AP

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Before we call for sectional timing at all tracks in would be nice to start with accurate race distances.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

…and length and type of grass…and wind speed indicators with flags every 100 yards…and atmospheric pressure…and humidity…and details of the horses, weight, food intake and output for the 7 days prior to each race…etc, etc, etc…

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

You may be going a bit too far with those points Simon!

Knowing the actual race distance is fundamental to the sport.  When false rails and dolling are introduced the start position should be modified to take these into account or the Clerk should state the amended distance.<br>

(Edited by Wallace at 2:16 pm on Sep. 14, 2006)

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

Quote: from sberry on 2:01 pm on Sep. 14, 2006[br]…and length and type of grass…and wind speed indicators with flags every 100 yards…and atmospheric pressure…and humidity…and details of the horses, weight, food intake and output for the 7 days prior to each race…etc, etc, etc…

Accurate going would be a start!

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Simon’s humour hides a truism; can a punter have too much information?  Is there a point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in? I dunno…

The Daily Racing Form in the US is a case in point. By the end of my trip over there I was throwing two dice three times LOL for the Tri. (Not really!:biggrin: ). The sheer density of the statistical information available to the punter is astonishing. But it didn’t seem to make finding winners any easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.