The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Seamus Heffernan

Home Forums Horse Racing Seamus Heffernan

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

I know there are no perfect jockeys and they all make mistakes.

Heffernan is a terrible jockey in my opinion.

I am a big fan of AOB and watch a lot of his horses run on ATR and I have seen Heffernan ride a bad race so many times i have now lost count.

He has just ridden a terrible race on Boxing Day at Gowran park just like he did the other day on Finest Artisan and previously this season on Chief Lone Eagle.

I know he has won lots of big races before when Johnny Murtagh has picked the wrong one but those horses would probably still have won anyway.

Colm O’Donague is a much better jockey than Heffernan and should get the rides that Heffernan gets.

I never bet so I am not talking thru my pocket.

What do you think ?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Your surname is Donoghue?! :wink:

Colin

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

And how many Classic winners have you ridden dostoy??

Seámie is no Mick Kinane, Kieren Fallon or Johnny Murtagh but to claim he’s a terrible jockey is just ridiculous. The guy is a more than capable pilot and he wouldn’t have lasted this long at Ballydoyle if he wasn’t.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Everyone’s entilted to their oppinion including Aiden O’Brien. I think Aiden knows what he’s doing and you don’t ride for one of the top yards in the world if your terrible.

Personally I think Heff is the buisness and fills you full of confidence when the cash is down.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

If it’s the same "Heffernan", he made a complete Gareth of it on Sesenta in the 20f handicap on Tuesday.

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

Why did’nt he ride Rip Van Winkle yesterday ?

Surely if AOB had full faith in him he would have got the ride.

Heffernan is a long way below the top jockeys, surely this has proved it.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

He seems to have his role fairly well defined at the moment.

Murtagh is top jockey and rides the stable No1 anywhere.

If Murtagh is suspended/injured/riding elsewhere, Heffernan gets the best horse at Irish tracks but A O’B will often use a top locally based jockey over him if not in Ireland.

I suppose this may all change again when Fallon returns from suspension. I can see him picking up a lot of spares when it suits both parties.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Why did’nt he ride Rip Van Winkle yesterday ?

Surely if AOB had full faith in him he would have got the ride.

Heffernan is a long way below the top jockeys, surely this has proved it.

For the same reason sometimes people want AP McCoy when the stables number 1 is not avaialable.

That doesn’t make Heff a bad jockey it just means there are better ones out there.

Personally I admire the man

He gets all the crap to ride and occassinaly he gets a good horse to ride. Most often than not when he does get a good one to ride he does a good job like he did on Fame and Glory in the Derby. Then in steps Murtagh and takes over for the Irish Derby.

Hardest job in the world I reckon getting knocked down day after day and getting back up to fight on.

You talking through yur pocket Grassy? can’t say I share your view on that one mate.m RP Verdict "

Sesenta, successful over hurdles and on the Flat last month, had a question mark over her on this ground but after racing in mid-division early, she was produced at just the right time and never stopped battling"

Seems they thought he rode a text book race on the horse who wasn’t good enough.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Heffernan lost his position 4f out, and had to pull a good 6 or 7 horses off the rail as they started to turn in, losing plenty of ground in the process. He did get a perfect split in the straight, but the ground lost definitely cost him the race. The jockey should have (imo) realised horses would start dropping back through the field around the 2m mark, and on a guaranteed stayer, he should have had his horse in a much better position. It was a tactically inept ride.

The RP analysis is obviously based on watching a re-run of the final 2f of the race. Here’s the ATR link – watch it yourself and you decide.

http://www.attheraces.com/VideoConsole/?va=ASC_2009_06_16_05_1655

And of course I’m talking through my pocket. :wink:

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

I have just watched Heffernan ride Von Jawlensky at Roscommon and he seemed to get his reins tangled about a furlong and a half out.

I don’t think the horse would have won anyway as he needs a good gallop and a galloping track as all he does is stay.

I have no faith in Heffernan at all, the horse he rides needs to be considerably better than anything else in the race to enable him to win narrowly.

As I have said before Colm O Donaghue is a much better jockey and should be on the horses that Heffernan rides.

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

He has just given Drumbeat a ride that even the word shocking would not describe it.

I personally always thought he was OK but after this I am not so sure.

I actually backed the winner in the race so I am quite happy, but I would have been very cross had I backed Drumbeat

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

He has just given Drumbeat a ride that even the word shocking would not describe it.

I personally always thought he was OK but after this I am not so sure.

I actually backed the winner in the race so I am quite happy, but I would have been very cross had I backed Drumbeat

Well you could say that you were lucky that you won on a 5/1 pacemaker.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Great ride on the winner – judged the pace to perfection.

That’s how to ride a pacemaker – not like the farce we’ve seen on Set Sail and Rockhampton in recent months.

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1139

Just seen the ride on Drumbeat on attheraces and think a 4 day ban is a total kick in the teeth for punters.

A truly shocking ride and up there with the worst I’ve seen!

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

See the Racing Post for Heffernan’s explanation of the ride at Gowran.Sounds OK to me. How come the horse started Fav.? That is the question.

shabby
    • Total Posts 638

I think you need to put Hail Ceasar’s ability into perspective. He was top of the speed ratings for me and in the early season trials (Ballysax & Derrinstown)he was ridden out the back with Fame and Glory (in other words he had a pacemaker).

HC is clearly a horse that was rated fairly highly at Ballydoyle over the winter and looking at his previous races he has been very green and immature. They took the bull by the horns last night and bullied him from the start in blinkers. I don’t see that Drumbeat even closed after he got into second.

I didn’t back him last night but thought it was probable he would win something this season.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3136

Ask yourself this, would Heffernan have ridden Drumbeat like that if Hail Caesar had been trained by a different trainer?
    He knew full well he had the other two covered and wasn’t really concerned whether he caught the leader or not as first and second was a good result for his team whatever.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.