The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RTV vs SSR

Home Forums Horse Racing RTV vs SSR

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

To be honest 10 fixtures on one day is ridiculous if SSR had the irish it would at least have been 5 on each channel but neither channel can do much with that amount of tracks to cover.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Interesting HRI and general manager of Punchestown claim they have a good relationship with rtv and there seems to be no regrets with the change of channel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/racecourses-chairman-frustrated-over-tv-race-clashes-1.4109791

Though like the poster above they are worried about St Stephen’s Day but with 8 courses mostly jumps what on earth can Rtv, HRI or anyone do to fit in 8 meetings an hour it is impossible.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6158

It is going to be carnage on Boxing Day. I only signed up to it for the Irish racing and see no reason why they cannot offer two packages. One for Irish racing, one for the UK or a deal for both. If it was £10 for the Irish only, they would get a lot more Irish subscribers also.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I expect the meeting at Down Royal on Boxing Day will not be shown live by RTV. I think that was the case on ATR sometimes. However, that is still 7 meetings to fit in. Are they really going to show the King George on a split screen?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

RTV will be doing an Irish Racing only channel on December 26th, according to Ruby Walsh in his Examiner column today.

:good:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/ruby-walsh-a-lot-of-what-happened-at-punchestown-is-so-avoidable-970390.html

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Well they still have 5 jumps meetings to fit in per hour and I bet your life Virgin media viewers will not get an extra channel I bet it’s some sort of red button thing for Sky only.

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4740

I know this thread is about RTV vs SSR but didn’t knowv where else this fitted unless I started another topic.

I didn’t know just exactly how bad ITV racing got.

On Saturday I recorded the racing so that later on I could sit down and watch it.

The Caspian Caviar Gold Cup Handicap Chase only had 13 runners and as you know Spiritofthegames nearly took it. In the lead up they just concentrated on the market leaders and even after the race, the outsider was in my view being totally ignored.

The best things in life are free.
    But you can give them to the birds and bees.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 200

Re ITV: it seems to me the better the race the less we see of the horses.
    It was a disgrace that they decided to show a recording of an interview with soap “actors” rather than the horses in the parade ring for the Betfair Chase recently.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

RTV have confirmed there will be an Irish channel for 26th December.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

Here (hopefully) is the full spiel from RTV:

https://www.racingtv.com/news/fully-dedicated-irish-channel-to-be-available-from-racing-tv-on-boxing-day

It’s a small step in the right direction.

Participant
    • Total Posts 615

Just scrolled through the electronic TV guide on Virgin and yes, Irish Racing is scheduled on FreeSports (Channel 553) for 11.30 – 16.00 on Boxing Day.

Presumably the main RTV channel will still try and show anything that moves, be it in the UK or Ireland, which will make it pretty much unwatchable.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

New Year’s Day you won’t get much Irish as they trying to fit 6 meetings in plus isn’t it an embarrassment that a tv channel has to go begging to another broadcaster to show their content.

The whole process across the UK and Ireland needs changing, the courses tv rights need a thorough review.

Free Sports is not subscription so will Virgin viewers get free access or will they block access if you don’t subscribe to Rtv?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

It’s a free-to-air production, Steve, so if the Free Sports channel is on Virgin I think there will be free access for everyone:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/rtv-to-show-irish-action-on-december-26-on-one-off-free-to-air-tv-channel/414436

Participant
    • Total Posts 1035

So, there will be a seperate Irish channel on Boxing Day. Does this mean the regular channel will only show the British racing? With Huntingdon being abonded that will be 4 British races and 3 Irish races. If the Irish and British races will be shown only on one channel each than it should be okay.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

I suspect that RTV will try to show as many Irish races as it can on the regular channel, knowing that it has protected itself from criticism regarding the ones it can’t by virtue of the free channel, which, I agree, would be unsatisfactory and unenjoyable.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

So the irish authorities have as many brain cells as the UK ones

Limerick x.05 Down Royal x.10, Leopardstown x.20 then 20 minute gap to x.40

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

At work watching the racing on ITV. They couldn’t be arsed to show the Grade One chases in Ireland but that didn’t stop them from spoiling both results.

Utter feckless twits.

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.