The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Royal Society…

Home Forums Horse Racing Royal Society…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    • Total Posts 205

A good bit of ew support for Royal Society in the Woodford Reserve Handicap at Ayr today.

The form book did not show any reason for this support as in five of the gelding’s only six races he finished last of second last.

The form book certainly out weighted the interest in this horse as it finished last beaten almost out of sight of the winner.

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Thanks for that, Tom. :roll:

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Fascinating post, great insight.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

It’s been said before but it bears repeating:

Beware the Lizards and their [b:39gifnij]Chalk Moves[/b:39gifnij]

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I was thinking more along the lines of ‘beware of Tom and his non-sensical drivel’.

:D

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

A racing forum but it seems like some only talk through their pockets and are not willing to look at all aspects of the racing game.

I made my money gambling by looking at small details like this

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Am I missing something here Tom?

Royal Society opened at 22/1, drifted to 25/1 and started at 20/1 (having been a little bigger in the morning). It got beat, thrashed indeed, as recent form suggested. It happens every day, dozens of times.

Which part of that has given you your

edge

in the game?

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Am I missing something here Tom?

Royal Society opened at 22/1, drifted to 25/1 and started at 20/1 (having been a little bigger in the morning). It got beat, thrashed indeed, as recent form suggested. It happens every day, dozens of times.

Quite. If one were looking to explain a move of any great substance for Royal Society, it

might

have been that this was the horse’s first time on deep going since his debut (in which he was far too destructively keen early on for the race to prove beyond all doubt an ineffectiveness on the surface), notwithstanding the fact he doesn’t appear that conducively-bred for swampy conditions to me.

But, as TYF implies, it’s not as if the move was actually anything that much out of the ordinary; nor, on present form, was the eventual outcome of a well-beaten last.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Young (?) fella…

The creature was fancied enough for £12500-£500 Each Way £5000-£200 Each Way £8000-£400 £2000-£100 Each Way to be invested in its chances.

It had run on heavy, good to firm, standard,and soft ground and there appears no preference to any going.

It had run at 7f, 8f,, 9f, 12, 14f and only showed a glimmer on hope at 12f.

Even being dropped 5-points in it ratings made it look even a good bet for a place.

Dropping from 4 to 5 and to 6 in the class of race did not show a sparkle.

It was not for Mark Johnston’s yard and although it must have been showing something on A G Foster’s gallops it never seems to produce anything on the track.

The gelding must have looked good at home but if one went by form, even 10p win and place would have been like throwing one’s money away.

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Thanks for the explanation Tom, although I still don’t see what was remarkable about Royal Society’s run.

He ran like you might expect a horse chucked out cheaply by Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed to run. With the market support, perhaps he

was

moving well at home and has an aversion to the course or maybe Mr M Sawers is just an optimistic owner.

Who knows?

I see your original point that you can’t study the market to the exclusion of the formbook and vice versa, but no-one on this forum needs to be told that!

Young (?) fella…

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

I never went with the market, prefered to study for hours and then go with my own judgment.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.