The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Rooster Booster…

Home Forums Memorials Rooster Booster…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    bear
    • Total Posts 143

I was never in the ‘team’ to be honest but sad news.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Ill never forget the roar from the crowd when he just failed to defy top weight at Newbury

A lovely horse. Real charisma

:angry:

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Depressing news.  :(

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

yep, its sad news alright.<br>RIP

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5863

Terribly sad – a real character of a horse.

Regards- Matron<br>:cool:

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

A sad day

For me his heroic effort in the Tote Gold Trophy will be the most memorable of all his performances – it was so refreshing to see connections of a top-class National Hunt racehorse not afraid of running him in handicaps.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

It’s been a terrible season so far for injuries and fatalities.

I don’t think I ever backed him and I bet against him a load of times, but there was no doubt he was a genuine G1 horse and full of heart.

Steve    

Gigginstown Man
    • Total Posts 84

It would be worse if it was Lingo or Hardy Eustace or Kicking King or a horse who had more left to give..

He done himself justice and well done to him .His days were numbered.

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

I know it happens every day but does anyone else think its a little strange that an apparently fit animal can just have a heart attack at a young enough age, the parallels between Rooster and Best Mate….. maybe its just my imagination.

A great horse and very sad news.

Scottish Jamie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 123

This is very sad news. He was a terrific horse to watch through a race, the way he could slice through the pack cruising along and hurdling beautifully . I think my favourite performance was when he won the Bula before he won the Champion Hurdle. His superiority was such that he pulled his way to the front at the top of the hill and not much Johnson could do about it. He drew a long way clear before tying up on the run in but it was clear that under a proper ride he would have to fall twice to get beat in the Champion. Great days.

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

His Champion Hurdle win was the highlight of that years festival for me.

Will be missed hugely.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

This is tragic news :(<br>There was nothing dissapointing about Rooster Booster at all, for me.  He was not quite a 170 horse in h’cap ccompany, but could quite easily beat allcomers on a slightly more lenient 166 or so.<br>I am glad that he died a ‘natural’ death, as opposed to breaking a shoulder or something on hard winter ground.  This news is not the nicest christmas present i’ll get this year.<br>Best wishes to the Hobbs stable staff who are probably gutted at this event.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Quote: from Gigginstown Man on 12:37 pm on Dec. 20, 2005[br]It would be worse if it was Lingo or Hardy Eustace or Kicking King or a horse who had more left to give..

He done himself justice and well done to him .His days were numbered.<br>

So, because his racing career was finished his days were numbered??? People like you…

Never mind the fact that of all the horses racing today, few deserved a good, long retirement more.

(Edited by Salselon at 1:29 pm on Dec. 20, 2005)

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Horrible news about a genuine and tough campaigner.<br>Impressive sight to see the grey at his best carving  through the field.<br>I don’t mean this to sound sour or that it would necessarily have made any difference but I personally felt that the 11 year owed nothing and should have been retired at the end of last season.<br>The future for him was unavailingly trying to concede weight to younger and less exposed horses in h’caps and trying to avoid the Irish in conditions hurdles

(Edited by Lingfield at 2:36 pm on Dec. 20, 2005)

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

His days were numbered.

No, they weren’t.

His racing days were numbered and this may have been his last season anyway.

However, he could have been expected to have lived a good few years after that. And he probably would have joined the ranks of old favourites who are paraded in front of the racegoing public year after year.

Lingfield,

You’re right when you said that he was going to struggle to win this season.

However, AFAIK, whether or not he should have been kept in training should have been dependent on his soundness and whether he was showing he was enjoying his racing.

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.