The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ready for Rishi? 2022-???? (There’s no telling with this lot)

Home Forums Lounge Ready for Rishi? 2022-???? (There’s no telling with this lot)

Viewing 17 posts - 902 through 918 (of 1,045 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8362

Michael Gove has now announced he is standing down. He obviously does not like the idea of being the equivalent of Michael Portillo in 1997.

An awful little man. Chief Lockdown Fanatic who clearly relished every little bit of the power it gave him. I cannot devise an adequate form of words to describe how much I loathe him.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2693

Will the last Tory MP out of the door please turn the lights off?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5960

Although he’s somewhat less repellant than Slithy Gove I’m hoping that Jeremy Hunt suffers a Portillo at the election. His South West Surrey seat is high on the list of LibDem targets

Good to see Andrea Loathsome (copyright Moehat :yes: ) jump ship

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5048

Anyone know the breakdown of the 70 odd standing down? How many are from the right wing loon section?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9161

Hunt is equally as loathsome, it’s just that he looks like a human being. I’ll never forget the first time I noticed Loathsome: it was at the Brexit debate where she kept saying ‘asamother’ and I kept asking myself ‘ why does she keep saying that’. Ruth Davidson wiped the floor with both she and Johnson and yet they were the ones that got rapturous applause. What a bunch. They give us Brexit and then they b****r off….

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5804

Tories plan to bring back national service ….Tues it’ll be rationing to deal with obesity ….who do you think you are kidding Mr Sunak , trying to put fear in to people isn’t going to make them vote for you

Participant
    • Total Posts 12884

Im getting more and more convinced that Rishi not only knows he is going to lose,
    he wants to lose. Several mini gaffs have filled his days so far but as HDLG says,
    National Service is his latest Hara Kiri. He may be a useless PM but it’s not possible
    that he’s that stupid that other than a few old foggies “that’s what this country needs,
    beat a bit of civility into these young whipper snappers” he’s going to alienate the
    majority from such a move. I just wonder what he’s got lined up ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5804

He’s already beaten , Starmer could punch an old lady live on tv and I’d still vote Labour

Participant
    • Total Posts 5804

Rather than teaching a 18 year old how to fire a gun , teach about finances , pension , investing , mortgage , that way they have a fighting chance of not having to work till they drop , the next war won’t be fought by a 18 year old holding a rifle ..it’ll be behind a computer …honestly the Tories are fighting a 60s election …. I keep expecting to see hunt with a cardigan on smoking a pipe

Participant
    • Total Posts 8362

To be fair to Sunak, he has said his proposed scheme would only involve a small number of young people serving in the military. Most would do work in the community.

I don’t think that is a particularly bad idea if it helps to develop skills and a sense of responsibility. Plenty of young people who have done things like the Duke of Edinburgh Award have said they gained a lot from the scheme.

It is also worth noting that 12 European countries do have some form of National Service and others are thinking of introducing it.

But it is all academic. The Conservatives are not going to win the election and I doubt Labour would introduce anything like it, even though it would increase the role of the state. Even if it was introduced, it would be certain to be a disaster if a government department was planning it. And how would it be enforced? I expect a lot of people would simply not turn up.

As for what Sunak has lined up: a lucrative non-job in America, I expect. I would not be surprised if Mrs Sunak has had enough and has played a significant role in pushing Sunak into the early vote.

There is also the possibility he knows something serious is coming along the tracks and he would rather get out now and let Starmer deal with it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5804

What is the serious thing though …this is a rumour I’m hearing more and more

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9161

I would assume that Mrs Sunak wants her children settled in their new schools in America by the Autumn term. A winter election would have been far too disruptive. I have to hand it to him, though; he certainly wrong footed the people in his party that were plotting to oust him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5804

I don’t Sunak being invited to the Tory Xmas do ….and as per vivid they do like a party

Participant
    • Total Posts 5804

This is soooo relevant today …

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1630

The tory pr reeks of an old tory fighting a bygone election. Who in God’s name thinks that either national service is a good idea or that under 25s will vote for it. Beyond bonkers.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9161

Even the people usually wheeled out to defend the policy can’t. Except for Cleverley, y’now the one that called Stockton on Tees a s******e.

Participant
    • Total Posts 12884

“To be fair to Sunak, he has said his proposed scheme would only involve a small
    number of young people serving in the military. Most would do work in the community.”

It would be nice if young fit people could help others by working in the community,
    but you can’t tell them to, nor should you. Not unless they have commited a crime
    and are doing community service as reparation for their misdeeds.

Equally, whether or not other countries are thinking about it, the youth of this
    country would be up in arms, there would be riots if we brought in National Service.
    It’s a non starter and Rishi is well aware of that. He’s running out of feet to shoot
    himself in.

Viewing 17 posts - 902 through 918 (of 1,045 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.