The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing in Zimbabwe

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing in Zimbabwe

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    paieye
    • Total Posts 8

I am trying to check the date on which Preto Reserve  won the Starr Jameson Memorial at Bulawayo back in the 1950s.   Could any kind person suggest where I might find this information ?  Thank you !

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Yikes.

Try contacting ARO, http://www.aro.co.za, although if you are looking for this information you probably already know that!

On the Contact page they have email addresses for their researchers, who may be able to help you.

paieye
    • Total Posts 8

Thank you, I have followed your suggestion and shall let you know if there is a result !

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

British Library Newspapers seems to have a full run on microfilm of The Bulawayo Chronicle from 1895 to 1951, then The Chronicle  from 1951 to date.

Its at Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HE, access through general BL website:

http://www.bl.uk/

<br>they’re very helpful, but my guess is they will need some way to narrow down the likely dates.

What month of the year would the race have been run typically?      

If that’s what you don’t know, then it may be a question of a personal visit to flick through a year’s worth of the sports pages to find out, then check around that time in other years.

i’m sure they can advise.  The email is: newspaper@bl.uk

<br>best regards

wit

paieye
    • Total Posts 8

Thank you, this sounds very promising.

paieye
    • Total Posts 8

The answer arrived today from a helpful correspondent whom I eventually found at the Zimbabwe Thoroughbred Association.    Thank you both for your interest.

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Paieye, now that you are armed with this information I hope your bookie finally pays out.

ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

I hate it when a betting slip is misplaced too. :biggrin:

Ultimate NightmareUltimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

Must admit to never going to the track when i lived in Bulawayo in 79/80, Visited the bookies a few times but spent most of my time sampling the local nectars :biggrin:

paieye
    • Total Posts 8

!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.