The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Queen Mother Champion chase 2012

Home Forums Archive Topics Queen Mother Champion chase 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7621

So many questions will Sizing Europe go for race

Finians Rainbow lacks a gear after the last why he got beat in arkle

Ghizao was bad on return

Big Zeb is getting on years

Captain Chris may want further but i feel he could win it.If he goes for it.

I go for a big price if he is ok from his injury i give

FLAT OUT at 25/1

Jump very well last year was travelling well last time out vs Realt Dubh and Noble Prince before is fall.If he comes back well from injury i like is chance.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Sizing Europe will go for the race and have the same sort of build up as last season, try further and increase his stamina and then ‘hose up’ in the QMCC :D

Simples – I hope anyway

miniman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16

Any idea if this race is the target for Realt Dubh? Think he looks overpriced but just not sure if he’s gonna go for the Ryanair chase instead.

• Total Posts 638

It is so obvious that Captain Chris is the right horse for the QM and should be clear favourite for this. I sincerely hope that connections understand this and move in this direction, I suspect Philip Hobbs does favour the QM and will eventually move this way. The King George should be avoided at all costs.

The admirable and still slightly underated Big Zeb will I fear be too old to regain and whilst Sizing Europe will be a threat, the power and verve that Captain Chris displayed in the Arkle (course & distance) was a performance rarely seen by a novice. CC was so full of run at the line it was startling…some rationalised this power and potential reserve as a need for a longer trip but actually he can just run a lot faster at 2 miles.
    If the race was tomorrow I would make him a hot favourite, hopefully he will run in the QM…he will win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Anyone heard anything regarding Finians Rainbow? Solid profile, on the upgrade, thing he could progress nicely against the veterans.

• Total Posts 2184

What did Willie say about Flat Out in his stable tour?

• Total Posts 638

What did Willie say about Flat Out in his stable tour?

"…he’s come back very strong and will resume over fences. He’s back in fast work and will be out next month. He might have a run over hurdles first and is a horse with plenty of pace."

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Horses for courses. Sizing Europe for me. Finian’s Rainbow my main concern. Him and Henry De Bromhead.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

The yard and owners seem set on a KG attempt for Cap Chris and if he wins that – he has every chance of doing so imo (3 from 4 at Kempton) – there’s a strong possibility he will turn up in the Gold Cup.

The owners have Wishfull Thinking and if he wins the Tingle Creek he’d be the obvious one for the Champ Chase.

• Total Posts 1982

Even at this early stage of the season, I get the impression that this race could easily cut up quite considerably and, of those who appear certain to run (barring injury), it’s hard to look beyond Sizing Europe and Finian’s Rainbow, with Big Zeb approaching the twilight of his career.

Captain Chris, Master Minded, Wishfull Thinking, Noble Prince and Kauto Stone will more than likely head for alternative assignments over further, although this could quite easily change tomorrow after Sandown.

I was surprised by just how much Finian’s Rainbow found at Aintree. He had previously been defeated on each attempt at the highest level after travelling better than anything approaching the business end of the race.

I suppose there is still a doubt surrounding his ability to get up the hill at Cheltenham. Look back at his respective Festival defeats in the Neptune Investment and Arkle – they are almost indentical regarding how he was approaching the final bend only to find little for pressure.

However, 8/1 is quite tempting given the lack of apparent of depth in this division. It will look even more tempting if any of the aforementioned candidates fail to sparkle in the Tingle Creek and are pretty much ruled out of the two mile championship in favour of a greater test of stamina.

Sizing Europe has been good to me at previous Festivals and thrives around Prestbury Park, but if Finian’s Rainbow continues to improve (only ten starts under rules) then he could prove a serious threat.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

After today, it’s hard to see what will beat SE at Cheltenham.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Everything rotates around Finian’s Rainbow, I’d have thought. But yes, very difficult to envisage him getting beaten.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Just 2 cracks of the whip, softer ground than he’d have liked, only 1 month after being bottomed out by running over 3 miles. The performance gets better with every replay. Couple of months off now, prep in the same race as last year & then back to Prestbury Park.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Just came across some interesting information about Big Zeb.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ZEB+BUILD … 0272319018

Murphy was "thrilled to bits" by the performance adding: "They didn’t go hard enough for him. But he jumped great and got too close to Pady at every fence that Robbie had to keep taking him back.

"That was a dream start for him. And I’m relieved to have it out of the way. It should leave him spot-on for Christmas.

The Paddy Power

(Grade 1 Paddy Power Dial-A-Bet Chase at Leopardstown)

is his Cheltenham this year

. And, if that goes well, we’ll take the next step."

• Total Posts 1533

I was every bit as impressed by Sizing Europe beating Big Zeb as he did as I was Master Minded beating the less talented Voy Por Ustedes.

It was the performance of the festival for me and as much as I like Finian’s Rainbow who should improve a stone form last year, I can’t envisage him beating Sizing Europe.

In a normal year I’d be all over the Henderson horse but Sizing Europe is a lot of things but normal isn’t one of them. He’s one of the fastest cruiser’s, for want of better words, that I’ve ever seen and just keeping up with him round Cheltenham, without coming off the bridle, is a huge ask of any horse.

I think in some ways we’ve been robbed of seeing the best of Sizing Europe. Cruising when he pulled a muscle in the Champion Hurdle, campaigned over extreme distances to convince his owner 2 mile speedsters don’t get 3 miles but he still retains all his ability and what consumption he must have to bounce back like that and hack up in the Tingle Creek.

Horse has everything and unless Finian’s Rainbow turns out to be one of the best 2 milers of all time Sizing Europe should win again.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Just as i was counting the readies for this race with Sizing Europe; Messrs Nicholls and Hales add AL FEROF into the mix and that without doubt makes for considerable re-thinking! The race will be run to suit Al Ferof and i for one will have to back him once they go NRNB!! Very annoying indeed but as i have stated in the Arkle Thread, they must think they have more chance up against Sizing Europe/Big Zeb than Peddlers Cross/Sprinter Sacre!

Participant
    • Total Posts 340

Clutching at straws here, but does anyone know if there is any chance of Ghizao turning up for the Champion Chase?
    Bad on return obviously, but previously beat Captain Chris, and would have fgone close to beating Finnains Rainbow at Aintree. Clearly doesn’t stay 2m 5f, but a fast run 2 miles could be right up his street if he jumped with more fluency.
    I have a nice ante post bet for the champion chase and would love to find out what connections are thinking of doing with him.
    Cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.