The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Queen Anne Stakes 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Queen Anne Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I just backed Gladiatorus 9/4 for this and can’t believe I got on so easily.
    If he was trained by AOB he would be odds on for this.

This horse is like the Sea Buiscuit of Dubai going fromwinning a 5k race in Italy to winning one of the worlds richest races the Dubai Duty Free.

Despite puting up a great performace and breaking the track record in an all the way win in the 7f Al Fahidi Fort he was thought not good enough to win the DDF.

He didn’t just win it he made all again and galloped a group 1 field into the ground like they were a bunch of platers.

His main challenger in the betting is Paco Boy who was 10 lengths behind him in the DDF.

They made excuses for Paco Boy when beaten into 4th by Virtual but that doesn’t alter the fact he’s pushing his stamina limitations at 1m.

If you want to expose any horses stamina limits what do you do? You set a strong gallop. <!– s:wink: –>:wink:<!– s:wink: –>

If ever a horse could set a strong gallop it’s this horse. He broke a 7f track record and mrudered a class field over 1m1f, so there’s nothing to make me think he can’t do exactly the same to this lot round 1m at Ascot.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

He’s a Godolphin horse that has done all his major winning in Dubai I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole Dubai form often fails to translate to British form.

Cesare is an interesting one at a huge price. Has been placed at G1 level before but without winning but take the favourite out here and its an awful looking group 1. Loves Ascot, goes well fresh there are worse bets.

Paco Boy does not stay at this level although fast ground would help his chances.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Gladiatorus if he can take his form from Dubai will be hard to beat and on form he looks rock solid this year, and Presvis had upheld the form and he retains his jockey, but in Europe on his last start he was beaten in a Group 1 by Scintillio.

Obviously his new trainer has gotten the best out of him but he is now transferred to Godolphin and Eastern Anthem flopped on his debut for Godolphin so you never know if they will cock this one up also.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I quite fancy Alexandros for this and the 14/1 with Ladbrokes is too big IMO

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I agree with Fist; Gladatorius is head and shoulders above these.
    I’d forget all about his run behind Scintillo, he’s come on leaps and bounds since then (OR +18lb; RPR + 20lb), and wouldn’t worry about his fitness either – this is Royal Ascot and a prestige gp1, not the Coronation Cup that Easten Anthem used as a training run.
    The only reason he’s 9/4 is because it’s Arab form; yet form from one of the best races in the world, where he beat one of the best horses in the world. Long live xenophobia, if that’s the effect it has on bookies.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think where he runs David is the key to how much confidence they have in the fitness of Gladiatorus.

They say he might go for the Price of Wales depending on what runs.

Wont be 14’s if he runs here though

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

I don’t understand how the "Dubai-to-Europe form slump" raises doubt in some punters.

I’d want to be assessing form, formlines, video, pedigree, course/going/distance/jockey attributes and trends before entering novelty factors into the picture.

He’s a nice price of 2/1 when a near rival in the market was a handicapper prior to his Haydock Group 3 win.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yup, I agree with that. I couldn’t back Gladiatorus at 25/1 tbh. I don’t rate that race in the slightest.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

They say this horse is the best turf horse in the world.

I say its a pig from Dubai :twisted:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

They say this horse is the best turf horse in the world.

I say its a pig from Dubai :twisted:

And I’d say you’re pig ignorant! :roll:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Yup, I agree with that. I couldn’t back Gladiatorus at 25/1 tbh. I don’t rate that race in the slightest.

Well you have Frankie on your side and I got some ex camel jockey called Ahmed Ajtebi riding on mines. If you don’t want to back him at 25/1 can you lay him at 20/1 please :)

Have to take your hat of to Godolphin letting him keep the ride having won twice on him.

Apparantly Frankie offered to give young Amhed some lesson on how to dismount in the winning circle but he refused saying he was ok as he used to do summersaults off camels. :lol:

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Paco Boy was the best turf horse in the world a month ago. :roll: These mythical awards are bandied about almost as much as the word "great".

I’m not sure where xenophobia comes into this. Why does someone always have to come out with silliness like that?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Ian
    Are you suggesting it is silly to suppose that foreign form is underbet, and home form the opposite?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

WTF is xenophobia when it’s at home? :shock:

All I know is people keep saying Godolphin ruin horses etc etc. Some horses could be trained by someone who couldn’t train a pig to be dirty but have so much class they still beat allcomers.

I’m not saying for one minute their trainer is one of them but I think the problem lies more in what they purchase.

Look at Kite Wood he’s a lovely horse who I like a lot but they paid 6 million for him.

I don’t care if the great Dr Vincent O’Brien himself had trained him he wouldn’t have won the Derby.

There’s a lot more to traing classic winners and Royal Ascot winners than throwing money about.

Compare them to what AOB buys. He’s a great trainer but he has also got the best judges money can buy looking out for him.

As far as Gladiatorus is concerned I have seen him twice and he blew me away.

He obviously had the same affect on others or he wouldn’t be the top rated horse in the world. Even if they are wrong does he have to be to beat this lot?. A suspect stayer and a Haydock Group 3 winner who was beaten twice in listed company.

Anyway if he does get beat they can always send the jockey back to the camel races and blame him and Frankie can say "wasn’t me" :wink:

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Ian
    Are you suggesting it is silly to suppose that foreign form is underbet, and home form the opposite?

No I’m saying its silly to use terms like xenophobia. To call bookmakers or punters xenophobes because of the price of a horse or the way they perceive a horse is nonsensical.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

I must admit to be being quite puzzled why the favourite isn’t shorter. At first glance couldn’t see anything to take him on for the lead and there are various holes in the opposition. Perhaps it is assumed to be that much more difficult to make all over a straight mile? Of the others I suppose some rain might give Virtual a chance.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

xenophobia is to fear or dislike something unknown or foreign to him……if a bookie was scared of a horse he would shorten the odds. If a punter was scared to back the horse because he didn’t trust the form then he would drift.

If a bookie disliked the form he would be longer odds than normal and if a punter disliked the form he wouldn’t bet it

i’d say there’ a fair bit of xenophobia involved in Gladiatorus’s price. hence my earlier remark about the price he would be if trained by AOB.

Lighten up Ian it’s hardly a nosensiacal word to use.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.