The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Peter Marsh 2022

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Peter Marsh 2022

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13877

Decent entry, but a few with alternative arrangements…..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/23/haydock/2022-01-22/801337

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/peter-marsh-handicap-chase/winner

He’s short enough at 5’s, and seven pounds higher than last year, but I’m going to stick with Royal Pagaille. The only one to give A Plus Tard “a race” here in The Betfair, before missing The King George with a late setback. If he’s over that, then I think he can go close, even with the big weight. I still think a lot of him, and added him for The Gold Cup as well.

As usual, close attention to the Sandy Thomson entry, and Empire Steel, who was running a big race in The Rowland Meyrick before tipping up, is an obvious contender, though hard to back right now with that Skybet entry.

I’ve bet Lake View Lad a couple of times this year, but with no returns. I would have bet him Antepost, but no firms going the four places, so I’ll wait for the day, and see if he’s worth an EW bet.

Bristol De Mai is another who’s a very attractive EW price at this stage at 10’s

I’m a big fan of Remastered, but he was disappointing here last time, and he looks a better option at the prices for Lingfield.

Royal Pagaille 5’s

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 395

Royal Pagaille running incidentally would put everyone below Lieutenant Rocco in terms of official rating out of the weights as its a limited handicap and the minimum weight is 10 stone 4. I think that’s 9 of the 17 entries including Empire Steel and Enqarde who are quite well fancied antepost. Royal Pagaille won’t physically have to carry any more weight than he did last year on paper even though he’s rated higher but last years race was dreadful and this year he could have to give Remastered 17lbs as an example. The other peculiarity of the way the weights could be framed is Enqarde vs Remastered – Remastered was thrashed by Enqarde in the Tommy Whittle but was giving away 18lbs. That would be down to just 3lbs if Royal Pagaille runs.

waroftheroses
    Participant
    • Total Posts 128

I think that Lord Du Mesnil should be shorter in this, but I think that if I’m taking on the front two, it has to be with Empire Steel at 5-1

VtC, you’re the Sandy Thomson man on here, any thoughts now that he is running here?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

168 Empire Steel
    168 Lord Du Mesnil
    166 Lake View Lad
    166 Remastered
    166 Kalooki
    165 Sam Brown
    164 Fortescue

A tight race but the favourite Royale Pagaille doesn’t look well treated, form from last year’s race ahsn’t worked out and he’s too short to my mind. I like EMPIRE STEEL who is more than capable of winning a race such as this and was going well when coming down at Wetherby. Certainly much improved on the obstinate character who dug his heels in and wouldn’t go to start when we first saw him at Kelso back in 2019. Steadily progressive in the intervening period and I don’t think we have seen the best of this one yet.

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 722

I think this race is a lot stronger than last year. I think Lord du Mesnil wil ran his race in this conditions.

Lord Du Mesnil 10/1 EW

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 674

Hedging my bets here, but I think Lord Du Mesnil, Lake View Lad and Sam’s Adventure could all do well.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13877

Roses, I give him a serious chance, and though not with him today, he’s got a serious chance. Never easy for me to swerve a Sandy Thomson runner, but it’s a really strong renewal, and I can’t justify any more. He’s done me a fair few favours, so I won’t kick the TV in, if I miss out on him here. Really like Remastered too, but can’t justify him either.

I’m actually 50/50 on just laying off Royal Pagaille too, so I can just enjoy it.

Sam Brown, Lord Du Mesnil, Lake View Lad, and Lord Du Mesnil all look big dangers too.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5149

I can’t decide between Sam Brown, who ran a decent race at Aintree and whose yard are in good form, and Alnadam who I think deserves another chance at the trip. I’ve backed both ew for the 4 places with Paddy Power.

Wilts
    Participant
    • Total Posts 374

Taking a punt on Fortescue; a decent 2nd at Kempton last time, Daly has a decent strike rate at the mo and the jock takes off a few pounds.
    Best of luck to all today :good:

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

I think connections have accepted that Aintree might not be Lord Du Mesnil’s bag, so I’m not anticipating a plot job. If he’s on a going day he’ll be bang there.

With that said I can’t believe Remastered is going to be far away today. Should be a Ladbroke Trophy winner and should be taking this.

Might be a forecast job.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2473

RP in this ground is a top class horse but he,s going to try and give Empire 20lbs , I can’t him being able to do it , Empire with Remastered to follow him home , rev forecast

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4388

Empire Steel ew 4 places

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3262

I am siding with Royal Pagaille and hope his class tells.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4388

Wd Cork. Wd winners.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5149

WD VtC and Cork :good:

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3262

Thanks all. I was not sure how well he was going early on but he dug really deep. Good performance under that weight. And another good ride from Charlie Deutsch.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Bit of class from the winner, well done VtC and CorkAllStar.

Empire Steel put in too many scruffy jumps to stay in contention, took the first two down the far side by the roots, and was beaten turning for home.

Good effort by Sam Brown who has been lightly raced and has been highly tried over fences. On overall form figure I had him right in there and he might still have wriggle room in handicaps judged by this effort.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.