The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing Gained 8

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Nothing Gained 8

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 14937

Decent enough today with Midnight Run getting me a decent profit before the last at Fairyhouse. If only he had jumped it better. Definitely more to come.

Nice return from Red Lemonade as well at 25’s EW, so after those two, having a go tomorrow.

Umbrigado is an interesting runner over hurdles, and I just wonder if this is a prep for The Caspian Caviar, while in the 1300, I think Burrows Diamond looks big at 14’s.

The one I have bet though, and I haven’t lost it I hope, is Beware The Bear. I like a bet in this race, and after changing my mind over Belami Des Pictons and Canelo, I went with The Bear. He really did look to lose interest last year, and although he’s almost certainly “gone”, jockey takes three off, he’s been given huge chance by the handicapper, and who knows what the change of scenery will have done. No point betting EW, as I’ll either lay off in running, or he’ll be tailed off.

1330 Bangor – Beware The Bear 33’s

• Total Posts 14937

I thought Beware The Bear would either win or be tailed off after three fences. Didn’t quite work out that way. He was beaten after three fences, but the jockey earned his fee, and cajoled him round in his own time.

Couple of bets tomorrow. In The Glenfarclas, I’m with Freewheelin Dylan Antepost at 12’s, and hoping at the very least to get that back in running.

I bet Mc Alpine at 20’s when the market opened for the 1600. I thought that was a good move, but looks as if I should be able to beat that quite easily.

Cheltenham
    1455 – Freewheelin Dylan 12’s
    1600 – Mc Alpine 20’s

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3393

Great shout with mcalpine VTC

• Total Posts 14937

Thanks Ham, delighted with that one.

Was a good week for me from the Rothwell yard. Winner at 33’s, and my EW 100’s Sunday from Fiveaftermidnight, very happy.

Already mentioned my two for The Paddy Power in Big Races, but seriously considering covering Funky Dady, but more likely to be Coole Cody. Big hope is Midnight Shadow, while I’m surprised at the price holding for Manofthemountain.

Don’t think I could handle it if I missed Coole Cody two years on the trot, and it’s a similar sentiment with Kansas City Chief. I’ll decide tomorrow. Gutted at missing him last time. He was impressive last time, and certainly not hammered for it.

I liked Dawson City for The Southern National, but he takes in The Amateur Riders race. He’s 20’s just now, and hopefully I’ll beat that. Considering Forza Milan as backup.

At Wetherby, my old pal Palmers Hill is back out. Really like this horse, but just too short. Hopefully in full working order, and he looks ideal for The Kim Muir if that’s the case.

At Punchestown, Glenquin Castle is back out. Put her up few weeks back, and she won nicely. Unfortunately too short to back then, and similar tomorrow, but nice horse. The one I will bet is Neveradullmoment.

1305 Cheltenham – Dawson City EW 6pls
    Paddy Power – Manofthemountain 25’s
    Paddy Power – Midnight Shadow 25’s EW
    1423 Punchestown – Neveradullmoment

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7207

Super tipping with McAlpine VtC. I didn’t see the race but read the report on the RP website….sounds like the trainer really fancied him too. A great result for a smaller yard.

• Total Posts 14937

Thanks Grass, enjoyed that, yeah, watching the interview after the race, I think he did.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3393

Great stuff bobby i was on MS also but not at 25s, great shout, really, great stuff

• Total Posts 14937

Thanks again Ham, and well done yourself. That was hairy at the last, but got there.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3393

Yeah i was only on at 12s for a smallish bet,delighted you scooped that at 25s you have had a cracking few wins with him have you not? im sure i remember you backing him for the scottish CH at a big price a good few years back?

And yes, very hairy at the last and CC falling nearly cost us also, doubt anything would have closed in as much if he had company over the last

• Total Posts 14937

Yeah Ham, he’s been bloody good to me, including that Scottish Champion at 66’s. That was a good day.

That’s him won a Scottish Champion Hurdle, a Relkeel, a Dipper, and a Paddy Power Gold Cup, as well as being placed in a Caspian Caviar and an Old Roan. He’s some horse.

• Total Posts 14937

Another decent Saturday, which makes a change, especially after it started so badly with Dawson City.

Midnight Shadow a very big win for me, and the luckless Coole Cody also paid his way in running (added him as per Race Thread).

With that in the bag, I added Kansas City Chief, and when she hit 9-2, I added Glenquin Castle. She’s a tough one, and after following her for a while, it was good to finally bet her. She did it well.

Last but not least, big nod to Palmers Hill. Didn’t bet him, but that was a big run. It wasn’t the fact that he won, it was the way he won. Very nice ride from Scu, making it look tight, when he actually won with plenty up his cuff. If they can keep him sound, he’ll win a big one this year. Definitely my early Kim Muir horse.

On to Sunday, and a fantastic days racing.

It’s been a really good spell for me since The Old Roan, but that means I’m due a washout. Hopefully not today though, as a good few bets kicking about.
    Usual approach then, and at least getting stakes back in running will be crucial should things go pear shaped.

Cheltenham
    I really want to bet Yala Enki in The Jewson Chase, but having lost a couple of quid on the race Antepost with Lake View Lad, I’ll sit it out, as he’s just too short.

The Greatwood looks as tough as ever. I’ve bet Advanced Virgo a few times, and he’s quite reliable, but lost count the number of times I’ve bet Ballyandy. Virgo has paid his way, but I’m sure that Ballyandy has cost me long term. As I said on the race thread though, I’m not buying that run at Ffos Las, and I think he’ll surprise here.

Cork
    Smashing card, but only one bet at the moment. I bet her once last season, Dreamsrmadeofthis, but she disappointed me a little, and never figured. Back to the scene of her debut win today, when she really caught my eye.
    Didn’t expect her to start off in a handicap, but at likely double figures, she’s worth a go.

Punchestown
    As I’ve said before, always reluctant to put “Midnight” horses on these threads, but the last week has seen Midnight Shadow, Midnight Midge, Fiveaftermidnight, and Midnight Run all pay their way, so with another old favourite, Midnight Maestro back out, in The Risk of Thunder, even at a short enough price, I’m backing him.

Thought he was going to be very good in his younger days, but he’s was a bitter disappointment for Alan King, before leaving for Enda Bolger, who’s transformed him. He had a great time of it last season, and if he takes to this discipline, he could take some beating here. My old pal Neverushacon also runs, but he’s way too short.

Same applies to Alfa Mix in the 1300. Too short for a horse who’s surely going to have a very careful prep this year, but bags of potential, and looking forward to seeing him.

The 1515 is a belter of a race. After reluctantly leaving out Dallas Des Pictons (still like him for Cheltenham), and The Jam Man, I’m still left with two.

I thought my bet on De Name Escapes Me a fortnight ago, would be my last on him, but I’ll go with him again, as he’ll run his race around 18’s. At 16’s, as much as it looks like the handicapper has caught up on Thunderosa, I’m not fully convinced, and think he should show more here.

Risk of Thunder – Midnight Maestro 11-2
    1320 Cork – Dreamsrmadeofthis
    Greatwood – Advanced Virgo 20’s EW
    Greatwood – Ballyandy 33’s EW
    1515 Punchestown – De Name Escapes Me EW6
    1515 Punchestown – Thunderosa

• Total Posts 14937

De Name Escapes Me came to the rescue Sunday, and not for the first time. Got 28’s EW, but was bittersweet, as may have won but for being hampered.

Midnight Maestro also went well, and ended up a free bet in running. More to come from him.

Rest were disappointing, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on Ballyandy. He’ll be very, very well handicapped soon, and got a few spring targets in mind.

Not too many bets tomorrow, and most covered in Big Races.

In the last at Gowran Park I’ll be adding Red Lemonade, who got me a decent return a fortnight ago. Tough enough race, but interesting jockey booking, and I’ve taken the 25’s EW, though I’ll hope for bigger.

Before Midnight is my Grand Annual horse at the moment, but too short tomorrow, and if I had any earlier luck, I’d be interested in Sully Doc. Another interesting one tomorrow who I’m not betting is Column of Fire at Gowran Park.

Betfair Stayers – Dans Le Vent 32’s
    Betfair Stayers – Flight Deck 12.5’s
    Betfair Chase – Royal Pagaille 11’s
    1523 Gowran Park – Red Lemonade 25’s EW 6pls

• Total Posts 14937

Really happy with that today. Dans Le Vent looked the winner down the back straight, and I just loved his attitude.
    Flight Deck ran on, but never threatened.

Red Lemonade was desperate, but happy with Royal Pagaille, considering the ground, though his jumping was a concern. Not given up on him for Kempton.

All about Dans Le Vent though, and that was a decent bet.

No major fancies in Troytown, and though not the biggest bets I’ve had on the race, I’ll take a chance splitting the stakes three ways.

Troytown – Lord Royal 7’s
    Troytown – Smoking Gun 70’s

Sungold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 84

You struck gold again there! What a run you are having recently. Even though, technically, it was anyone’s race in the last furlong, there was a strong sense that Dans le Vent had the winning of it. I thought jockey Isabel Williams judged it to perfection.

• Total Posts 14937

Cheers mate, yeah, been a good few weeks, enjoying it while I can, had a few grim November’s in the past. No joy today, but can even take some consolation from the fact that it was a fraction of the normal bets I’d have on The Troytown.

Agree about the ride. It’s easy sometimes to go overboard on a winning ride, but you’re right, she got it spot on, and I was very confident down the back straight.

• Total Posts 14937

Nice card Newbury tomorrow and tempted by Solo in the 1350 at 9-2, but it’s a tight wee race, so still considering.

Phoenix Way is a notebook horse of mine from last year, and in the absence of Umbrigado, must have a big chance. That withdrawal has me worried even more now about Remastered running on Saturday.

In the last, I couldn’t leave Slate House alone at 22’s. Yes, poor run last time, but stable in good form, and this certainly looks a more reasonable target.

1535 Newbury – Slate House 22’s

• Total Posts 14937

No joy from Slate House, and he ran well enough to maybe keep tabs on.

One of the big races of the year today, The Ladbrokes Trophy, and like The Rehearsal, already covered in Big Races.

At Newbury, I’ve went with Annsam. Hoping the Williams family can do me a turn two weeks in a row, and I thought he was overpriced here with a run under his belt.

I’ve been watching January Jets for a while now, and though he’s not developing like I hoped he would, he’s out at Fairyhouse today, and the opening 12’s here was enough for me to finally bet him.

The 1440 at Newcastle sees two horses who have paid there way for me this year, without winning, Douglas Talking, and Since Day One. If Douglas continues to get backed, I’ll probably lay before the off, but I’d definitely expect to get my money back for the pair of them in running.

1230 Fairyhouse – January Jets
    1350 Newbury – Annsam 16’s EW 4 Pls
    Rehearsal – Dingo Dollar 14’s
    Rehearsal – The Ferry Master
    Ladbrokes – Cloudy Glen EW 7 Pls
    Ladbrokes – Ontheropes 12’s
    Ladbrokes – Remastered 20’s
    1440 Newc – Douglas Talking 10’s
    1440 Newc – Since Day One 25’s EW 4pls

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.