Nothing Gained 5

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Nothing Gained 5

This topic contains 570 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 571 total)
  • Author
    jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Certainly agree Stilvi in that he won’t be that price again….I missed the 16s but took 12s.

Like you say the rail is very important at that track and it could’ve made all the difference. On RPRs it was considered his best performance to date but like you i will be interested to see what races they target and what prices he is going forward.

It’s possible that he will improve from the run again, he did do so last year, after some runs on unsuitable ground..granted probably clutching as he was thrown into a handicap chase on his chase debut..

One to watch, but no surefire winner.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2406

Do you think he is a wee bit lacking in bravery and perhaps balance Stilvi? (I think that fence was a downhill one?)
    Perhaps both will come with a bit more time and experience.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

@stilvi

Good to see you back.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

@nwalton

Thanks N

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

Yeah Stilvi, you’ve given that horse a fair few mentions, and I think he’s one that I wouldn’t rush to write off. Maybe worth waiting till he’s that nice price again.

As for Plinth, have to agree about the route taken, and it was an “eyecatching” run alright. Don’t see any reason why he can’t figure at Galway, and certainly got me interested.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

@jackh1092

Thanks Jack, yeah had Draycott, and nabbed the 20’s. It won’t be my biggest bet of the season, but does the confidence the world of good, and after getting a few returns at Ascot as well, helps to ease the pressure after that string of losers at the tail end of last season.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

Sorry, well done on Draycott Place. Bit too wrapped up in Conrad Hastings. There are no bad 20/1 winners.

greenasgrass,

I think I am a lot less forgiving than some punters. For me everything was in his favour and he ended up well beaten. He certainly wasn’t unlucky in any respect. As regards his jumping he doesn’t make the greatest shape. At its best he is fast and flat which was the case for most that race. When he was schooled around Cheltenham he didn’t convince at all. Bravery is often a deciding factor and for me it was a concern that Russell clearly set out to try and win pretty much on the bridle. His response to pressure wasn’t great. Those jumps were not bad enough to wave a white flag. As I said perhaps if he had been sent on and grabbed the rail it might have been different. It would certainly have made life more difficult for the winner.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

Thanks Stilvi, certainly not complaining with that one.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

You could argue there’s too much racing today, but there’s some smashing races on the go, and after a couple of months of rather drab Saturday Cards, it seems a bit daft to have a moan about too much decent action.

Problem for me is that there are loads I could bet, and I’m more than used to taking a beating when I’ve got loads of fancies on the one day, so I’ll have to “cherry pick” a few of these. Have to be careful as I’m out drinking today, and there’s the potential to lose a right few quid, and I’m not letting that happen. There will be perms though, but considering the number of selections, it will certainly be for bare minimum stakes.

Newcastle
    First one to catch the eye, is Cardsharp in The Chipchase. He can be a frustrating sort, but I didn’t think he was that bad at Ascot, and he’s had his moments in the past, so at 10’s, he might be worth risking, with the chance that Tapeta can bring out the best in him. If I do bet him, it would be for the win.

In The Vase, my hands are kind of tied with Euchen Glen & Sam Missile, who were both my early selections for The Plate. Got my money back from them, after they were balloted out, and I’d be kicking myself if they came in here, so right back on them here. I have bet the pair of them, and I took the 10’s win Euchen Glen, and the 20’s to 6 Places for Sam Missile. I got a return from Sam with 6 Places in last years plate, and I’m actually quite confident that he can do a similar job here tomorrow. Like the pair of these horses quite a lot, and can see them both bang there.

Big race of the day is The Northumberland Plate, and it’s a real headscratcher. Considering my record in it, wasn’t the biggest of stakes on my Vase pair, and reluctant to even bet as much on the backups, so have kept it to token bets. I was getting very keen on Island Brave in the lead up, but the draw hasn’t been kind. A few quid on him each way though, and took 20’s to 6 Places, while I’ve had small win bets on Soldier In Action at 33’s, and a saver with On To Victory at 25’s. Soldier would probably be my #1 now, I’ve kept him to the 33’s for the top up, again with 6 Places.

Curragh
    All The Kings Men had a rather low key debut, but it wasn’t totally without promise, and I think he could improve bundles. One for the perms only though, at a short enough price. Been very impressed with Latrobe, and at 22’s, I could be persuaded for an each way punt on him in The Irish Derby, can easily see him making the frame. Problem with this race is that Rostropovich is equally appealing at 40’s, and I’m not sure whether I’ll play them. Rostropovich did the business for me last season in a type of race I’d normally swerve, and had a soft spot for him since. I think he has a big one in him, and the same goes for Latrobe.

Neither of these races would usually get my interest, but could be tempted. The 1740 is my type of race though, and it’s a cracker. My old pal Western Boy is in there, but he faces some tough opposition, not least in the shape of Top Othe Ra & Jan Van Eyck, while Ancient Sands & Neverushacon add to the confusion. It might make sense to to wait this one out, and see if I have any joy earlier in the day.

Justanotherbottle is already one of my favourite flat horses, and I bet him Ante-Post for The Rockingham.

Newmarket
    Proably the weakest card of the day, but very interested to see how Sir Dancealot gets on, as interested in him for The July Cup.

York
    I’ll also sit York out, but will be with Midnight Malibu to the 5 Places, as she is really game, and should get a run for my money, and she got me a nice win last week. She’s good enough to go in again, and should get a run for my money.

Doncaster
    If I had any joy with the earlier runners, I might chance Shaheen.

Bet a few of them already then, and may only add one or two more from that lot. Very happy with how things have started off, with plenty hitting the target so far. Days like this can be carnage though, so not going to go mad with any of them.

A day to enjoy in the sun with a Beer in my hand, and really looking forward to it.

Northumberland Vase
    Sam Missile, Euchen Glen
    Rockingham
    Justanotherbottle, Move In Time
    Irish Derby
    Latrobe, Rostropovich
    Northumberland Plate
    Soldier In Action, Island Brace
    50p Combination Exactas

1740 Curragh
    Western Boy, Top Othe Ra, Ancient Sands
    I will amend selections in this should there be any Non Runners
    30p Forecasts, and Tricasts

Latrobe and Rostropovich paid £315.20

+£138.60

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3158

Nice FC VTC :heart:

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4510

Get in the exacta Bobby !! TOP STUFF !! three hundred and fifteen euros not to be sneezed at!!

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

Thanks Botchy and Raymo. Chuffed to bits with that, relented and went with the pair of them on their own as well, so cracking result for me, in the type of race I’d swerve more often that not. 22’s and 40’s was a real bonus.

Good day all round, and with Island Brave getting me something like a seven pence profit in The Plate, and Shaheen doing the business at night, at odds I’d normally avoid like the plague, then it was a good day in the sun. Not even hungover today, so all good.

Don’t know if Euchen Glen will go to York (he’s been missing from 365’s list), but that was another close call for him yesterday, and that’s him won last week, and had three placed efforts, where on another day he’d have won, so have to keep him onside. Smashing horse, but just kicking myself for going win only. I’ve taken 33’s for York.

I didn’t bet Sir Dancealot yesterday, and thought the 50’s would have disappeared for The July Cup. I have to risk him each way for The July Cup now.

Summer Cup at Uttoxeter is the main attraction today, and happy to have Gas Line Boy, and Beeves running for me each way, and I’ve taken the very promising Geordie Des Champs to save. Topped up Gas Line at 25’s, and Beeves too big at 20’s. Tough looking race though.

Wasn’t going to bother betting other than that race, but with money to spend from yesterday, why not.

Cartmel
    All Set To Go & Endeavour look big prices with Brian Hughes up, and they’re worth considering each way, while Sizing Platinum looks worth risking win only.

Curragh
    I had some fun from Not A Bad Oul Day last season, and he looked fair around 8’s, while the 33’s looked mad crazy for Harvestfortheworld.

Pallasator really did the business for me last week, but I can see him struggling a little today. I’ll still chance him though at around 6’s.

1420 Curragh
    Not A Bad Oul Day, Georgian Bay, Beach Bar
    Summer Cup
    Gas Line Boy, Beeves, Geordie Des Champs
    20p Combination Exactas & Trifectas

+£133.80

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2406

Super job in the Irish Derby :good: Good luck with yours in the Plate today, looks a decent race. We both had the winner last year so hope one of us has it this year.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

Thanks Grass, was a smashing result for me, and the exacta was the icing on the cake.

Least said though about the Sunday Results the better, and that Uttoxeter Race was brutal, two smashers lost, just horrible.

As mentioned by Grass & Jack on “Pot Luck”, Plinth is a very interesting horse for Galway, but he does look a tempting price tonight in The Grimes Hurdle, a race he won with some authority last year. I tend to think, that that Galway shout is a good one, but still, 40’s is too big to pass over here, and worth an each way surely. It’s a much stronger field this time around, and you can comfortably make a case for most of them, but I’ll chance The Game Changer at around 12’s. Bet him many a time, and an old notebook horse of mine, and he should enjoy these conditions. Life in the old dog yet, and a price around 12’s looks fair. Goes without saying that every horse in the field could be using this for The Galway Hurdle though.

Grimes Hurdle
    The Game Changer, Plinth
    50p Reverse Exacta

+£132.80

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7694

I was away anyway, and struggling to get bets on but I can never get Josephs horses right. Even so, seeing Latrobes name on TSP race results was a bit of a sickener, but glad you were on. As for Pallasator; well, I couldn’t believe it when I first saw that he was running over hurdles. All I can assume is that the change of scenery has done him good; I find Newmarket a bit of a soulless place and I know where I could prefer to train if I was a horse. I’m sure Plinth used to run against my beloved Arctic Fire [now back in training] and he’s a horse I find hard to ignore.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 571 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.