The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nicky Henderson and his fairy tales

Home Forums Horse Racing Nicky Henderson and his fairy tales

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    • Total Posts 23297

I see Altior has a Ryanair entry
    He has gone from in Hendersons words being an out and out 2 miler to potentially King George runner to an out and out miler to looking like he needs to step up in trip… :wacko:

Member since March 2008
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1360

Dan Skelton in the Racing Post:

“The whole idea of needing an undefeated champion and having a whole season that revolves around Cheltenham isn’t good for the sport.”

I wonder at whom that barb is aimed?

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 396

Excellent interview from Skelton for me. And yes I wonder too.

It’s surely reaching breaking point when a brilliant historic race like the Tingle Creek is getting rubbished as a ‘trial’.

Can’t think why sponsorship and prize money are a problem…..

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 660

I read an article in “Racing Ahead” magazine written by Ben Morgan in which he defended Henderson’s decision about Altior and the Tingle Creek and said he had earned the right to do whatever he wants.

I think that is a ridiculous statement. Is he really suggesting that Henderson can never be wrong and should not be the subject of any scrutiny or criticism? If so, that is not healthy for racing. No one is bigger than the sport, no matter how successful they have been.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2077

Breaking news from the RP…
    “I want to run Champ now, but there isn’t a race”….

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3115

What he means is:

“There isn’t a three runner graduation chase worth twenty grand just down the road from Lambourn.”

He could of course run Champ in the Peter Marsh Chase at Haydock on Saturday week, but that’s one of those horrible handicap things, which would mean Champ might have to, God forbid, carry top weight. And that would obviously be too stressful considering it’s only eight weeks before Cheltenham. Wouldn’t want another ‘unconcious’ chaser in the yard, would we Nicky?

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 660

Champ has a Stayers Hurdle entry (currently 27 on Betfair). It must be worth throwing a bit his way. If he flops in the Cotswold Chase, there would have to be a huge doubt in him going to the Gold Cup and if he lines up in the Stayers he will be a fraction of the price.

Nathan Hughes
    • Total Posts 23297

Plus Nicky has a ready made winner in Santini.. :whistle:

Member since March 2008
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26634

There’s no problem with a good jumper running in a handicap.
    But does Champ jump well enough to risk such a valuable horse in a competitive handicap AP?

That said, can’t remember Nicky running a potentially top class chaser in a handicap.

value is everything
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1360

Trabolgan and Bob’s Worth in the Hennessy?

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26634

True, Gladiateur. Having been at Newbury to see them I should’ve remembered the Hennessey. Hennessey is – other than being a good race in its own right – an established Cheltenham trial. Other than the Hennessey?

value is everything
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3603

But does Champ jump well enough to risk such a valuable horse in a competitive handicap AP?

Probably not but he’s a 9 year old gelding who has never jumped a fence in open company. Not going to get any more valuable standing in the stable.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 396

Sick to death of Nicky ‘its all about one day in March’ Henderson.

I actually wish he would sod off. Bad for the sport.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 461

Forgetting about the way he campaigns his charges – Nicky seems like a good man and I’ve always liked him. Was well pleased when he regained the champion trainer title a few years ago. The one guy I’ve never taken to is Nicholls, a shifty cove in my book -and I hate the way he shifts his weight from one leg to the other when he’s being interviewed.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17287

As I said one Page One of this thread, the one thing that really pissed me off last season, was him mentioning several times that Altior was being considered for Ryanair/Gold Cup. People understandably bet him for those races as a result of that. Come the very day of the initial entry stage for all three races, he decides to inform us that he wouldn’t be getting an entry in the Ryanair or Gold Cup.

This season all he talks about is The Champion Chase being the #1 target, but come the day for the initial entries for those races, he decides to tell us Altior is getting an entry in The Ryanair.

It’s just very poor, and it looks deliberately misleading to me. I don’t think for a second that he’s betting in these markets, but I’m sure someone further down his chain is making a skin off of it. He’s not that naive that he doesn’t realise people will bet off the back of these misleading comments. For the record, I didn’t bet him in any race last season or this.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.