The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Newmarket Gallops

Home Forums Horse Racing Newmarket Gallops

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

I would appreciate some help please. Next weekend I am hoping to take a foreign visitor to the U.K. who is a keen horse-rider, to Newmarket Gallops. We are only able to attend on the Sunday. Does anything take place on a Sunday, please, in terms of being able to see horses having work-outs and what is the best time to go? What is the most accessible way there and is there a best vantage point and are there any do’s and dont’s? Is the horse museum worth visiting? Any info would be welcome. My friend is from the Netherlands and is a top competitor in that sport that’s a cross between polo and lacrosse.
    Many thanks, in anticipation. Ken.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Sunday is the quietest day of the week as many lads get their day off, but at this time of the year there will still be quote a few horses out.

I’d suggest you get up early and be on the gallops around 6.30am I’d head up the Moulton Road which you access by going from the clock tower roundabout and heading towards "Cheveley/Ashley" and they immediately left at the Horseshoes Pub.

After you pass the Heath Court Hotel on your left you can point out Heath House – Sir Mark Prescott’s home and stables on your left before coming to the bottom of Warren Hill.

On your right you’ll see stables like Cadland House (home to Gerard Butler) and also Jeff Pearce and John Ryan’s yards. Watch out for horses crossing at this point.

Drive up the road with Warren Hill on your right (2 4 furlong Polytrack gallops) and Long Hill on your left (turf gallops and 7 furlong Polytrack gallop).

At the top you’ll see a huge car park where you can stop and get out and watch the horses working andssee the horses working and the trainers on their hacks or in their cars. If cool then their rugs should let you know which trainers they belong to.

Best not to stray onto the grass but you can walk to the rails and see the horses walking the hills and chat to the lads.

Afterwards drive to the top of the hill and on the left you’ll see Warren Place – home to Henry Cecil. You can turn round afterwards in the road which leads to Godolphin’s Moulton Paddocks and on the way home slow down to get the full view of Newmarket including Dalham Hall’s red roofs off to your left, Tattersalls’ green octagonal roof and the Rowley Mile grandstand in the distance.

Stop off at the clock town restaurant for breakfast with all the lads and then make your way into town to take in the Racing Museum which is definitely worth a visit and is much bigger that it looks from the outside.

I

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

As well as going up Moulton Road I can recommend you take a drive from the clock tower up Bury Road (that leads to Bury St Edmunds).

Things to looks out for as you go away from Newmarket:

On left The Severals (where horses trot to warm up before galloping), Bedford House (Luca Cumani), Shalfleet (Jeremy Noseda), Freemason Lodge (Sir Michael Stoute), Carlburg (Clive Brittain), Clarehaven (John Gosden) – you’ll also see the entrance to Godolphin’s yard.

On right you’ll see red brick arch of Abington Place (Mike de Kock/Jane Chapple-Hyam).

At the end turn right at light and then after about half a mile park up. You can look at the Limekilns turf gallops and in the distance (running parallel to Limekilns but on other side of the the road) Railway Land and the Al Bahathri Polytrack behind the white rail.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

You can also drive up the Fordham Road (between Waitrose and The Severals) from clock tower where you will see William Haggas’ cream coloured brick yard on your right and William Jarvis’ Phantom House and Michael Jarvis’ Kremlin House on your left.

Turn right into Snailwell Road (Ed Dunlop’s La Grange on the corner) and make your way past Godolphin’s impressive entrance on your right, under the A14 bridge and you’ll see the British Racing School on your right. At the end of that road (just before you come into Snailwell) you’ll see Snailwell Stud on your left and lovely statue of Persimmon.

If you’ve any other questions about Newmarket just ask – sorry I’m having trouble typing long message into the box!

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Many, many thanks Adrian for such a comprehensive and illustrative tour guide. Must buy a large flask – could be a little nippy at that time of the morning. I think she’s going to be amazed by my inside knowledge of the different locations.
    Afterwards we’ll be off to Ely Cathedral. Who knows, I might say a prayer or two for TRF members!:)
    Will let you have some feedback. Meanwhile, if I can think of anything else I’ll be in touch. Thanks again

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

If you’re driving to Ely then that will be down the Fordham Road so I can recommend you see those yards on your way out of town.

The other yard you’ll see on your left between Snailwell Road and Tescos on Fordham Road will be Induna Stables – Chris Wall.

Have a lovely time in Ely – the Cathedral is well worth a visit and so are the antiques markets near the river if you like that sort of thing.

Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 739

Hope ypur friend has a lovely time.
    Surely the statue is to Chamossaire not Persimmon; though a lot of things have changed since I went to (preArab) Newmarket last. The Hyperion statue used to be on the same road as Chammossaire & you could make an appointment to go round the private studs.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

I’m most envious; didn’t realise that Ely Cathedral was so close to Newmarket, and it has long been on my wish list of places to go to [ever since reading Tom’s Midnight Garden]. I shall make a note of all of the advice in this thread and plan a few days in that part of the world next summer.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Crepello, you are of course correct the statue is Chamossaire outside Snailwell Stud.

They Hyperion Stud used to be outside Lord Derby’s stud down the Snailwell Road (you can still see the plinth) but many years ago moved to a prime location outside the Jockey Club in the High Street.

Of course another great thing to do in Newmarket is go round the National Stud and see their stalls, mares (and foals in Spring). Check their website for details.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Well i was in Newmarket on Saturday and what a fantastic place it is, Would love to spend a weekend their getting up early on the gallops and seeing hundreds of horses stretching their legs.

A brilliant place to be.

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

Adrians pretty much covered every road in Newmarket bar the Hamilton Road!

All I’ll add is that the museum is fantastic and well worth a visit:
    http://www.nhrm.co.uk/opening.html
    You should be able to get yard/stud maps from there as well.
    There are tours of Newmarket too but I’m not sure about Sundays. Julia Fielden used to run Hoofbeats Tours which was worth going on.
    Sorry I’m not still up there or I could have shown you round!

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

We had a sudden change of plan, thinking that perhaps the weather might turn come Sunday, so armed with all the aforementioned info. we set-off from Cambridge this afternoon.
    Prior to reaching Newmarket we reached a large roundabout, in the middle of which was a gigantic statue of a rearing horse and handler. We quickly turned into the first road and parked with the intention of my young friend having a photo taken next to the statue. Lo and behold right opposite were we had parked was the National Stud and as we approached the large ornamental gates they automatically opened, seemingly beckoning us in. Sadly, we walked around but not a horse in sight – presumably they were on stud duties. However, in the grounds there was a decent photographical horse statue and next to the cafetaria was a sort of portacabin, inside of which were some interesting horse-related items.
    We then continued our journey exactly to Adrian’s guide above and we saw everything he had mentioned. Except still not a horse! Up Warren Hill a helpful grasscutter informed us that we were unlikely to see any horses at that time (2.30) in the afternoon. Nevertheless we got some decent photos of the gallops. We headed on past Warren Place, parking on the verge of Godolphin’s entrance as we had caught sight of a horse galloping alone in a large field. It looked a beautiful specimen. However, no sooner had we stepped out of the car then a 4X4 drove up behind us. A gentleman approached us wearing a Fly Emirates T-shirt and introduced himself as "Security" and explaining that we were on private property – not one to argue that the verge is part of the public highway I apologised for our misdemeanor. To humour him we took a photo of him, his logo and my friend, and bade him farewell.
    On the opposite side of the road we spotted a paddock with half-a-dozen foals resting in the mid-afternoon sun. Some of these places have magnificent entrances, driveways and mansion-type buildings in their grounds. Particularly impressive was Henry’s vast spread. In future, I’ll see him in a different light – more like Lord of the Manoresquelike.
    Heading back into the town centre we parked and walking past the Osborne stable we couldn’t help but notice the pretty beflowered courtyard, stopping because we saw a horse in a stable door but on enquiring of a stable hand we were told it would not be possible to take a quick ‘touristy’ photo. This is perfectly understandable as time and security must feature heavily on stables’ agendas.
    We reached the Jockey Club building and ext door the museum with its pretty gates. Inside we paid our ‘concessionary’ entrance fees working out at a tenner for the two of us. It was only when we were in the actual museum, deserted apart from the two of us that my friend pointed out the notice prohibiting photographs. Well, at the risk of sounding stingy, I thought to hell with it, if I’ve paid a fiver I’m going to take a couple of secret snaps though when a elderly female custodian walked in, I had to admit my misdemeanour but she was very nice about it and chose not to destroy my camera.
    Through some further rooms and multitude of exhibits we entered a room where you could not only touch and photograph items but can also ride a ‘training horse’ with clear instruction from the lady in charge as to how to sit and ride in racehorse style. My friend really enjoyed this and got up to a decent speed. My big regret is that because I was focussing on my friend’s enjoyment of the museum I forgot to ask to ride myself. The museum lady was so very helpful about the Newmarket scene and suggested that instead of Sunday we would probably see far more action on the gallops on Saturday morning also missing out on midweek traffic congestion. So Saturday it is. We’ll set off from Cambridge at 6.00 a.m. and should be there abouit 6.30 to witness, as the lady put it, the magnificent spectacle of up to 400 horses coming down the gallops. Can’t wait.
    Thanks Adrian et.al for all your help. It has been beyond my friend’s imagination as to how good a visit it would be.
    Ken

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

What a shame you didn’t stop to admire the beautiful monstrosity known as Warren Towers.
    You might not have been accosted by Security here as you look from the road, but I doubt you’d be invited in for tea. It’s right next door to Warren Place.

Once owned by much respected 19th Century aristocrat and Newmarket benefactor Sir Daniel Cooper, his memorial dominates the western approach to the town centre, at the top of the High Street.

Warren Towers is now owned by the present ruler of Dubai and much altered in the 1990’s with further additions lately I believe, much to the consternation of some who find the present property somewhat disagreeable. As I do.

If you feel like trotting up the 7f Long Hill

, you will glimpse it on the skyline above the trees. At first glance it reminded me of either a mausoleum, or a prison camp – all blacked out windows and a little frightening. I thought Colditz would be more inviting.

From what I have been told by some, a large part of the present building is underground – possibly bunkers and such like, and what we see now is the tip of the iceberg so to speak.
    Nice gardens though from what I could see, and probably it’s most redeeming feature.

This photo, taken I think during the war when it was a Barnardos home for boys, gives us a glimpse of some of it’s former majestic qualities, although no doubt it got run down and neglected over the years.
    http://www.barnardos.org.uk/who_we_are/history/barnardos_homes/barnardos_homes_east/barnardos_homes_east_warren_towers.htm

However – look at it now*:-
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1394221

of course, the present owner is the latest great Newmarket benefactor – many millions I believe – so that’s alright then :)

You can get a nice lunch in Waitrose.

*[photo copyright of Bob Jones and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence]

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Sorry Ken, it never occurred to me that you’d visit on an afternoon! As you know no horses are exercised then.

Shame that the National Stud didn’t explain how things work there. There are tours every day at 11.15am and 2pm where you get on a bus and they take you round to see the stallions, mares etc.

As I mentioned on my previous message the gallops are really busy from 6am until 9.30am and there are still horses around until about 11am.
    Saturday morning is one of the busiest times and you’ll see plenty of horses up Warren Hill and Side Hill.

Don’t forget that when you are driving from the rearing horse statue towards town you should turn left into Hamilton Rd and immediately left down to Rowley Mile Racecourse where you can see the course and all the flat gallops off to your right backing onto stables down Hamilton Road.
    The Museum will organise tours of yards if you ask.
    Have fun!

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Would the horse you saw have been Kirklees, or Crime Scene or Sugar Ray? They’re in quarantine before travelling to Australia, and are taking their exercise in the afternoon. Not sure where they are quarantined though.

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Ugly Mare: Interesting before and after photos thanks but I’ll reserve judgement until after Saturday, just in case in the meanwhile we get a kind invitation from Godolphin to pop in to the stables for a quick browse and a couple of photos. (Wouldn’t that be special charitable act, he asks?)

Gerald: Not sure which, if any, of the horses you mention, except to say it was a really handsome beast with, most notably, a really impressive flowing movement as it walked – poetry in motion. It looked as fit as a fiddle and had an air about it that was ready to take on all-comers. He even posed for a photo and then decided that that was enough and cantered off down the field that was as big as two football pitches.
    Thanks for the additional info.Adrian.
    K

Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 739

RE: Ugly Mare’s post.
    Sheik Mohamed is well hnown to have little respect for architecture. He owns Shadwell Park in Norfolk the site of his well known stud farm. The house is by the idiosincratic Victorian architect SS Teulon; it is listed grade 1. Over the years he has developed the stud & let the house fall down. The Victorian Society lists it amongst the 10 most at risk buildings in the country & the local council have been serving him orders to repair it. To restore the house would cost less than one of the two year olds he hoovers up other yards at the end of the season. At the Victorian Society’s AGM I heard he had finally sucumbed to the council’s demands to repair the roof, but it’s future is less than rosy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.