The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

New Whip Rule Guidelines to be Published Monday

Home Forums Horse Racing New Whip Rule Guidelines to be Published Monday

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Apparently BHA officials were briefing jockeys at Newbury today on the new guidance for stewards. The actual wording of the guidance is to be published on Monday. I’ll put it up here as soon as it is put on the BHA website.

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

It would be interesting to hear what the Stipes have to say , especially after GT ‘s excellent report on the recent meeting in Newbury

Essentially , the success or failure of these new amendments will rest with them , as most stewards are below the waterline in terms of getting it right (imo) , the direction of the Stipe will determine many an outcome , my guess is they will mess up as well , so professional centralised stewarding may be the next step

Hang on to your hats , a white knuckle ride awaits

Ricky

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

You dont think that the jockeys have any responsibility to ride to the rules, whatever they are, then Mr Lake?

The enforcement of any rule is only required when those whom the rules govern breach them.

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

Its true I do hope the Jocks comply , however when a breach is suspected and the stewards gather to have a look , I am hoping the Stipendiary guys offer the correct advice , as getting it wrong has been the norm up to now Madam Eclipse ….

You get my drift ????

cheers Marm … :shock:

Ricky

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

No, the stewards have been assessing the transgressions according to the rules as they are set out at the given point in time. The stewards have not set the rules so how can they have been getting it wrong, unless you consider that the stewards were incompetent under the old rules as well.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Bearing in mind the new rule is due to come into effect tomorrow, it’s astonishing (or maybe not as the BHA is involved) that the new rule has still not been published.

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

Summary of new rules and penalties

1. The revised rules take effect from tomorrow, Tuesday 6th March. Rather than rules based solely on a fixed number, stewards will focus more on how the whip is used and be able to apply their discretion when considering a rider’s use of the whip.

2. The trigger for stewards to review a rider’s use of the whip remains the existing figures of eight times or more for Flat races and nine times or more for Jump races. However, rather than such use representing an automatic breach, the stewards will look at the ride and decide whether or not to hold an enquiry.

3. When deciding whether to hold an enquiry the stewards will consider the rider’s use the whip during the course of the entire race, with particular attention to its use in the closing stages and relevant factors such as:

a) The manner in which the whip was used, including the degree of force;
    b) The purpose for which the whip was used;
    c) The distance over which the whip was used and whether the number of times it was used was reasonable and necessary;
    d) Whether the horse was continuing to respond.

4. Provided that the overall manner in which the whip had been used was measured, stewards may choose to disregard occasions when the whip was used, for example:

a) To keep a horse in contention or to maintain a challenging position prior to what would be considered the closing stages of a race;
    b) To maintain a horse’s focus and concentration;
    c) To correct a horse that is noticeably hanging;
    d) Where there is only light contact with the horse;
    e) Following a mistake at an obstacle;
    f) To correct a horse that is running down an obstacle;

5. Under the revised penalties (already implemented), a rider found to have used his whip once over the permitted level will be suspended for two days, two times over will incur a four day suspension and three times over a seven day suspension, with each extra usage adding two days to the penalty.

6. Previous offences are not to be taken into account when deciding on the level of penalty. Offences which incur a suspension of two to six days are to be treated separately from those offences that incur a suspension of seven days or more.

7. Under a revised referral process repeat offenders will be referred to the Disciplinary Panel and incur a lengthy suspension (see penalty guidelines). Riders will be referred after their fifth offence of a two to six day ban within the previous six months, or after their fourth offence of seven days or more within the previous six months.

8. It is generally accepted that the incentive to breach the rules is greater in more valuable races. Consequently stewards will have the ability to impose a fine on a rider between £200 and £10,000. This will apply in Jump races worth £20,000 or more and Flat races worth £27,500 or more. Stewards will consider the gravity of the offence and the rider’s earnings in that particular race when identifying the appropriate level of fine.

Seems very reasonable to me

good luck to all

Ricky

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Thanks, Ricky. These words seem to be the crux of the new rule:

Provided that the overall manner in which the whip had been used was measured

Interesting to effectively see the rules beefed up for the more valuable races. It will be interesting to see how that is interpreted next week…

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Paul Struthers’ statement:

"The PJA welcomes the further detail that the BHA has provided and supports the general principles that they have laid down. We will do what we can in the short time we have before the Rule comes into force tomorrow to ensure jockeys are aware of what the revised approach to the rules means for them.

"It is important that the implementation of this new approach is monitored closely from both sides. However, I am sure Stewards will welcome and are more than capable of applying this new approach as consistently as could reasonably be expected. Likewise, I am very confident that jockeys do not see this as simply an increase in how often they can use the whip, but a sensible approach to a matter that cannot reasonably and fairly be regulated by strict and arbitrary limits.

"Hopefully this can now be the start of everyone’s focus being on the sport itself, as opposed to the regulation of it."

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Looks like Dick Barton put Gingertipster away at that WBRC do last week :lol:
    It looks significant change to me and many rides recently that have fallen foul such as Nicky Mackay’s will not now do so.

A victory for common sense.
    How is Jamie Stier still in a job :roll:
    I suppose it’s just a matter of timing.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

Looks like Dick Barton put Gingertipster away at that WBRC do last week :lol:
    It looks significant change to me and many rides recently that have fallen foul such as Nicky Mackay’s will not now do so.

A victory for common sense.
    How is Jamie Stier still in a job :roll:
    I suppose it’s just a matter of timing.

"Dick" Barton special agent, that dates you Eddie! :lol:
    Paul Barton didn’t exactly put me away. He did say they may get more advice on discretion from the BHA before the new rules come in to place. Suppose he had to defend what the rules were at that point. Did seem to listen intently on some points myself and others made.

Particularly when I mentioned a lazy horse getting a couple of strokes out in the "country", which put him/her one or two over the limit. As long as the horse is given time to respond after every stroke before another is administered… Thankfully, I believe this will no longer be met with a ban.

Something else I mentioned was deterrent in valuable races. This does now seem to have been accounted for in fines. Possibly not as strong as I’d wish, but can live with it.

Nicky Mackay’s incident I believe won’t be penalised. Not because of what happened up the straight; but because of what happened on the turn and immediately afterwards. With those first taps not counted.

Value Is Everything
    ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

Cheers Tuffers , hopefully Stiers will grab his second chance with both hands ,(imo) and common sense prevails on all sides

I imagine there will be a hiccup or 3 , but overall this should surely work

Lets hope we are chatting about the racing from now on

Ricky

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

Hope so Ricky.
    OK. Am a bit worried about whether penalties are quite enough in valuable races. But on the whole I think the two Pauls, Bittar and Struthers deserve great credit for these new rules. It should give just enough discretion to stewards without jockeys thinking they can get away with using the whip to a potentially "abusive" level (marking horses).

Value Is Everything
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4823

Still puzzled by the general mistrust in the stewards to do the "discretion" thing properly, given the high standards they maintained in the pre-nonsense days up to last October.

Of course removing the limit would have been the best outcome, but given the complete support of the upper echelons at the BHA to the original changes, a complete 180 was never on the cards.

Nice to see some common sense being applied. Mr. Bittar’s references to customers, viewers and education re the whip in the press release were most refreshing.

So a qualified "good stuff" from me. Hopefully the Brian Harding type bans are a thing of the past. Right back to square one if they aren’t.

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

GT , must say I think the 2 pauls have played a blinder , I would be in no doubt that the jocks have to try extra hard to stay onside as much as is humanly possible

lets hope it works , its been a long damaging haul , time to get on with the racing , let the horses be the focus , and the whip be a very small part of proceedings

Ricky

oddson
    • Total Posts 22

Having just read Ruby Walsh’s autobiography in which he highlights Dominic Elsworth’s ban at Sandown for using the whip 11 times to get his mount into second place.

I just wondered if the BHA are going to review this race and others where jockeys were banned and apply the new rules to those races.

This would be a positive move by the BHA.

Should they find that those races comply with the new rules will they refund the jockeys their riding fee and place percentage.

Also remove their ban from their records.

Perhaps they should then use those races as training for stewards.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8189

I just hope that stewards still have time to concentrate on what happens to horses that are pushed along at the back of races when totally out of contention and then having tired fatal falls. It happens far too often, and concerns me [and always has] more than what happens to horses that may win a race with a bit of encouragement.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.