The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Munster National 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Munster National 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Entries out…..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/188/limerick/2020-10-11/767978

No market yet, but more than a few jumping out….

Alpha Des Obeaux – On first glance, he’s high enough in the weights, not to mention the fact he’s not getting any younger, but he’s reliable enough. That mark might just make it difficult for him to win, but definite EW possibilities. Ran well in this before.

Easy Game – He looks just a shade high in the weights for me on overall achievements, and for all he won in a stroll last time, he was entitled to. His run in The Galway Plate was also a bit of a concern, but you have to be realistic, and from this yard, there’s probably more to come.

Spyglass Hill – Hasn’t has the best of luck this summer. His run in The Galway Plate was brought to an end by a blunder, while he was brought to a standstill by a faller in last weeks Kerry National. I’m very wary of these unlucky ones, but he has to be given another chance here, and he’s high on the shortlist.

Moyhenna – I was willing her home at Listowel last week, would have been a smashing winner of The Kerry National, but she failed by the narrowest of margins. Up 4lb, that makes life tougher, but on the evidence of last week, certainly not prohibitive. Deserves a change of luck, but there’s the niggling suspicion that that was her day last week.

Dallas Des Pictons – Things haven’t went right since his excellent 2018/19 season. He did get his head in front on his chasing debut, but he wasn’t convincing, and subsequently his jumping went to pieces, not to mention comfortably put in his place when he did complete. Plenty of negatives then. Positives? Well, he comes here fresh, and Elliot the man to bring him back. Yes, he did have a disappointing season, but if he does come back as good as he was, then he is extremely well handicapped. He didn’t get entries for any of the other big summer chases, and there has to be the chance that this is the plan. I had high hopes for him, and I’m not giving up yet. Very interesting.

Go Another One – Real shame when he fell early on in The Kim Muir, but he’s bounced right back this summer, doing little wrong. Well worth a crack at something like this.

Plan of Attack – Model of consistency last year, and looked to have major claims in The Kerry National. Too bad to be true though, and he looked in trouble early on, and supporters at least knew their fate early. Not one to desert completely, but there’s obvious concerns after that.

Minella Times – Decent enough winner of The Southampton Chase at Listowel. He’s shaped in the past as if this type of race might suit, and he’s hard to rule out.

Walk Away – His overall profile wouldn’t make him an obvious one here, but I like him. He might not have won too often, but he’s bumped into many a good one so far in his limited career, and not been disgraced either. Not too many miles on the clock. Definite dark horse.

Internal Transfer – Always get the impression that connections really target this race, and last year he went off favourite. He ran fairly well, but a couple of mistakes put paid to his chances. Not the most obvious one, but no surprise to see him go well, and no surprise either to see plenty of support.

Scoir Mear – I’ve only bet him a couple of times, but he’s always been on the radar since his run in The Coral Cup. Unfortunately it was the 2017 Coral Cup, so he’s had three years to back up that interest, with limited success. He caught the eye again at the end of last season though, and I really liked his run at Ballinrobe last month. It looked like a run to get him ready for a bigger pot, and he wasn’t knocked about too much. He’s declared for Punchestown on Wednesday, and I’ll be watching closely. A quiet enough run will do for me, and if he’s a big price Antepost here, I’ll take it.

Portmore Lough – Blighted by jumping errors, he was also bitterly disappointing last time, but I just can’t write him off completely, and the ability is there. Somewhere.

Peaches and Cream – Doesn’t look the most obvious, but there’s been a few runs to make him of interest. He caught me eye before fading last time at Ballinrobe, and for all he might not get my support here, I’m not dismissing him out of hand, and he’s one I’ll be watching this season.

Supreme Vinnie – Into the veteran stages now, but he’s in great form, and a shame he’ll struggle to get in.

Those are the ones who I thought worth an early shout, but goes without saying that there’s plenty in there with chances who didn’t get a mention.

Shortlist of three at the moment. Spyglass Hill makes plenty of appeal, for all he needs luck, and though not quite on the early shortlist, it wouldn’t surprise me if I ended up backing him. His stablemate Walk Way will probably be a bigger price, but looks to have a good profile for this.

If back to his best, off of 140, Dallas Des Pictons wins this, while the stroll round Ballinrobe last time, suggests this might be the time that Scoir Mear finally lands a big pot.

Hard to split them right now…….gun to my head, Dallas Des Pictons and Scoir Mear, but I’ll keep the three of them on the shortlist.

Shortlist
    Dallas Des Pictons
    Scoir Mear
    Walk Away

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Didn’t see too much encouragement there from Scoir Mear, would’ve been tempted to back him beforehand hand today, so relieved there isn’t a market yet.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Market up with sponsors…..

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/horse-racing/horse-racing-live/limerick/jt-mcnamara-ladbrokes-munster-national-handicap-chase/231259274/ante-post

I was hoping for better than 8’s for Dallas, while to be honest, I had no idea what price Walk Away would open at, but I expected better than 8’s. Even the 16’s for Scoir looks a bit skinny.

No money down yet, but Dallas Des Pictons
    definitely my #1 right now.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

Macgiloney and Bay Hill would be 2 interesting outsiders for me, but I also agree with Walk Away, and 10/1 is a fair looking price.

I think I’ll wait until Friday before I have a bet.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Good to see you back Autumnal.

10’s is getting their for me with Walk Away, but I’ll hold fire for now on him.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

Thanks VtC

I am going to go with Walk Away, but it’s a short enough opening price. I will wait till tomorrow night.

I have went early on Roaring Bull though at 12/1

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Pleased I waited with this, as Dallas Des Pictons was definitely my #1.

It doesn’t look the strongest renewal, but left with….

Portmore Lough
    Scoir Mear
    Walk Away

Probably split stakes on the three of them, and the JP pair might be a bit of a price.

Kendicate
    Participant
    • Total Posts 81

I like Ur angle on bay hill autumnal, I’ve been waiting for them to step this horse up to 3 miles, it’s crying out for a longer trip.

Just hope it doesn’t get outpaced early. 14s e/w with skybet looks a gift 5 places.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

So nearly sat it out without a bet, but went for….

Walk Away 4’s
    Scoir Mear 18’s

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 986

Aforementioned non runner yesterday with jockey I’m going to continue to follow this season , nice weight and I can play e.w at the price , good luck all

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3021

Backed Aforementioned in this. Has a fair bit of chase experience for a novice and got off the mark last time finally. Hurdle run at Punchestown was a good run and tells me off effectively 118 he’s well in. Pulled out of a graded race yesterday for this. Brouder has ridden 6 chasers for Elliot, 1 winner and 2 places, so not bad.
    Might stick a saver on Westerner Point

I really liked Walk Away’s debut behind Faugheen but since then he’s disappointed and at this price I’d want more chase experience for a national. Could hack up though.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2712

Aforementioned here too. ew 5 places.

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 560

I think Chavi Artist still has some improvement in him. Good second behind Doctor Duffy a month ago. Hopefully he will be one place better today.

Chavi Artist 10/1

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3807

I liked Walk Away last year but agree with Jack that being pitched into a race like this is a tough ask, and he’s very short.

I’ve gone with Blast of Koeman ew just for an interest.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2766

Moyhenna is a big price here and with a little more eccoomy in riding and jumping he could gain compensation here. Each way chance if dealing with the weight rise.
    Doctor Duffy the main danger receiving weight if can make up the ground.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.