The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

MOST BIZARRE RACE

Home Forums Horse Racing MOST BIZARRE RACE

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

It has to be Belussac, for refusing and nearly decanting his jockey into the water jump at Auteuil when favourite for the 1998 Grand Steeple-chase de Paris, having had a good think about doing so on the previous circuit.

He had previously finished fifth in the Prix Murat after being brought down twice (once by a loose horse) and refusing, all in the space of the final three fences.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Ballinger Ridge’s race!

Colin

• Total Posts 2390

DJ :D :D :D Top Class

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Not sure if it can really be described as bizarre, but Scotty’s Future’s win at an evening meeting at Beverley in July was rather remarkable. Tailed off after three furlongs but getting up to win fairly comfortably in the last 100 yards.

Colin

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Not sure if it can really be described as bizarre, but Scotty’s Future’s win at an evening meeting at Beverley in July was rather remarkable. Tailed off after three furlongs but getting up to win fairly comfortably in the last 100 yards.

Colin

Yes I remember seeing that on The Morning Line actually. Couldn’t remember the name of the horse. When the camera panned to show the field turning the last bend, Scottys Future was barely coming into picture before screaming through in the last 2f.

matthew
    • Total Posts 38

unforthunately i cant remember the track Poss Taunton or somewhere like that or the name of the horse!! good at this memory stuff aint i , but the jockey was Richard Johnson. was about a year ago – after a long 3 mile slog in bad underfoot conditions on bad horses too Dickie J used all his strenght to get this horse into first with a furlong to go with a 100 yards left the orse was practically at a stand still and looked like he had enough so about 5 yards from the line stopped and chucked Johnson off allowing the horse in second from some 10 lengths back to take the victory!! what made it so memeorable (apart from the track and horse) was the way the horse proceeded to have a little look at Dickie on the deck and trot off as if nothing had happened , if i didnt know better i’d swear the horse was whistling as he walked off!!
    anyone remember that – rather humourous (unless u backed it off course)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

unforthunately i cant remember the track Poss Taunton or somewhere like that or the name of the horse!! good at this memory stuff aint i , but the jockey was Richard Johnson. was about a year ago – after a long 3 mile slog in bad underfoot conditions on bad horses too Dickie J used all his strenght to get this horse into first with a furlong to go with a 100 yards left the orse was practically at a stand still and looked like he had enough so about 5 yards from the line stopped and chucked Johnson off allowing the horse in second from some 10 lengths back to take the victory!! what made it so memeorable (apart from the track and horse) was the way the horse proceeded to have a little look at Dickie on the deck and trot off as if nothing had happened , if i didnt know better i’d swear the horse was whistling as he walked off!!
    anyone remember that – rather humourous (unless u backed it off course)

It sounds quite a bit like the Exeter race mentioned previously.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

matthew
    • Total Posts 38

ahh , could well be ………Exeter rings a bell or maybe thats because i once fell in a river there and had to buy some rubbish shoes for about 2 pound!! anyways , pobably the same race …i didnt actually read theough them all , when i saw the title i was in such a rush to jot it down i didnt bother to scan through em , sorry peeps!! :oops:

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Alikat, Blue Sovereign and Allow Dancer all doing everything within their power to avoid winning a three-runner, 3m2f novices’ chase at Newton Abbot just over a year ago will live long in the memory.

gc

Im so glad you remembered the race and all the details!! thats mine by a long way.I will never laugh so much in a betting shop as i did that day.They couldnt jump the last and were taking turns in trying.One of the nags belly flopped it and couldnt get free of the birch.They wre actually running back down the track for run ups!! class.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

hmmm wasnt the one i saw.DAMN.Somebody MUST remember the one i described.I cant think where it was though.It was about seven years ago on a week day! :cry: :twisted:

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

A bizarre incident rather than bizarre race – is it OK to go here anyway :shock:
    At Caulfield in Melbourne I think it was about 10 years ago now, 17yr apprentice Andrew Payne was aboard Hon Kwok Star, which collided in the final turn with Cogitate, ridden by Payne’s brother-in-law, Jason Patton.
    As Patton crashed to the turf, Hon Kwok Star tossed Payne sideways toward the now vacant saddle of Cogitate. Andrew landed in the saddle and rode him home but both horses were disqualified. Riders and horses all OK.
    This is the video of them.
    http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/9612/27/briefs.am/aussie.horse.21.mov

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

hmmm wasnt the one i saw.DAMN.Somebody MUST remember the one i described.I cant think where it was though.It was about seven years ago on a week day! :cry: :twisted:

Where did you describe it? I can’t find it

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

About 9 inches up! look for my name.I’d love to know somebody else saw it.sorry! :wink:

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Oh I seeeee I thought GC had described it for you. :D
    No I can’t help … now there’s a surprise :lol:

• Total Posts 2440

How about at Exeter one time when Kauto Star went off at 2/7 fav in a 3 horse race.

Seemed to be travelling ok, and had a dodgy jump at the last fence and fell, and obviously unseated Ruby Walsh.

Mistral De La Cour then came past Kauto Star by about 15 lengths, and Ruby re-mounted Kauto, and on the way to the line, nearly caught Mistral De La Cour, and went past in a photo finish.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Surely an error of judgement by Ruby to remount the horse before establishing it wasn’t injured, if my memory serves it did suffer a minor injury and was out for a while.

Colin

• Total Posts 2440

Surely an error of judgement by Ruby to remount the horse before establishing it wasn’t injured, if my memory serves it did suffer a minor injury and was out for a while.

Colin

I thought it was bizarre actually, when i saw it he kind of chased the horse, i thought he was just doing it so it didnt run off loose. Yet he chased it, and got back on.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.