MIKE CATTERMOLE Q&A

Home Forums Archive Topics Celebrity Q&A’s MIKE CATTERMOLE Q&A

This topic contains 30 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by (aw) robbie (aw) robbie 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    albrookes
    albrookes
    • Total Posts 206

Leading Channel 4 Racing presenter, the unflappable, [b:1uus0pfx]Mike ‘Cat’ Cattermole[/b:1uus0pfx] has kindly agreed to join us for our latest Q&A.

After such recent unfortunate events as the Dubai World Cup debacle and the awkwardness of the 1000 Guineas aftermath, staggeringly Mike has now agreed to answer your questions. Out of the frying pan… :shock:

So please post them on this thread before midday on Tues 22nd June.

The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8706

Mike,would i be correct in saying "Khyber Kim" is not your favourite horse and how much does it bother you when the Commentary gets mentioned,even now? By the way,i have never seen an edited version done so quickly afterwards for replay purposes! Cheers, TAPK.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1667

Welcome, Mike.

A small point, but with racing trying hard to be rather less mystifying to the benighted than before, I wonder why so many commentators still go for "…with just under 3 1/2 furlongs to run" over "…with just under 1/2 a mile to run".

Or "…2 furlongs to go and it’s…" over "1/4 mile to go and it’s…".

Few under 45s know what a furlong is, and fewer still care, so why not make it a bit more accessible (horrible word, I know) to people?

The Young Fella
    The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2075

Hello Mike,

Thank you for answering our questions. Mine is a very broad one, but what, in your opinion, defines a great commentator?

cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8747

Mike – thanks for this.

I wondered how you (and perhaps your fellow commentators) view the various racing forums, on which media figures do come in for what some would say is unfair criticism from time to time?

Also, when did you first become interested in racing and did you always want to work in racing and/or the media?

albrookes
    albrookes
    • Total Posts 206

Cheers for getting the ball rolling guys. Hopefully we get some more questions.

Consequently, this thread will stay open for the time being.

Tell your friends.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4492

Hi Mike

In the Racing Post recently Cornelius Lysaght was asked if he could change one thing about his life, he said he would like to be ‘a punter’. My question to you is do you consider yourself ‘a punter’ and do you think reguarly betting on horseracing gives journalists an insight and sharpness to grasping form that non-punters will never be able to?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

What will racing in Britain be like in 5 years’ time?

And what about broadcasting and other forms of media coverage of the sport over the same time scale?

What was it like working at Timeform in the mid-1980s?

What were the best and worst things about being a jockey’s agent?

jose1993
    • Total Posts 1228

Hello Mike

Do you think Channel 4’s coverage of racing is improving?

Do you feel the significant time wasted on fashion etc at major meetings is really something Racing fans and punters want to suffer, and do you think it’s something that is worth showing?

What is your opinion on John McCririck having his time on Channel 4 significantly reduced in recent years?

Do you think there’s any point of Channel 4 and the BBC going head-to-head at the same time like on Derby day?

Thank You

albrookes
    albrookes
    • Total Posts 206

Questions from Leon Bowdery via Facebook:

What does Mike think of the barney curley/sportingbet story.?

Need to know more about Barney and Sportingbet before I can comment on that.

Does Mike think racing for change can make the sport more mainstream without losing the core fans and if so how.?

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1870

Is there any one race you would like to commentate on that maybe you haven’t had the opportunity to do so?

One in the UK/Ireland & one abroad perhaps?

ricky lake
    ricky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Hi Mike , Surely the time has come to dump the morning line , your views please

thanks

Ricky

wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Dear Mike

Its clear that the public are really engaging with figures like Matt Chapman (RP Vote) and Mac (the punters complaining they miss him). Is it time someone like Matt Chapman started to cover for the BBC as anchor. It clear the most popular faces of our sport our being shoved into a corner while the more clean fresh cut faces emerge. Obviously this would affect you personally in your job but is it time we encourage more "Opinionated" people to the forefront of your sport?

Thanks

albrookes
    albrookes
    • Total Posts 206

From Tony Cullen via Facebook:

Did Mike ever attend school cos he was in the year above me and I have no recollection of him whatsover?

albrookes
    albrookes
    • Total Posts 206

Cheers for all these guys. I’ll send them to him Friday so hopefully Mike can squeeze in a few minutes over the weekend to get back to us. I’m sure he’ll do his best to answer them.

In the meantime, you have until tomorrow afternoon to post any more that are suitable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.