MIKE CATTERMOLE Q&A

Home Forums Archive Topics Celebrity Q&A’s MIKE CATTERMOLE Q&A

This topic contains 30 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by (aw) robbie (aw) robbie 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1221

Mike,

1.On the rare occasion you have a bad call on a race is there anything you do to try and ensure it doesn’t happen again or do you just try and forget about it and move on to the next race?

Bad calls are obviously best avoided and if you do have one, you can do nothing to alter the fact that you have messed up. So move on and do it better next time. It’s all about focus and concentration.

2. What is the most money you have ever bet on a horse, what was the horse and did it win? :lol:

3. From the other commentators on the roster who do you think is the best and who the worst?

Other callers are all good in their own way. Some I prefer to listen to than others (no names!) but I think Simon Holt is top of the pile. A total natural.

Thanks
    eddie case

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25856

Hi Mike,

Do you still enjoy going to commentate on the gaffs / rubbish racing?

If someone like quizmaster Phil Brown can get fed up with the dross (doesn’t go racing and more interested in golf) these days, anyone can. (You’re still 3rd in the Roger&Phil commentators league).

To be honest, I have to say that calling at the gaffs does not turn me on as much as it did, particularly if I have to drive for hours to get there. But then I think about other ways that people make a living and remind myself to remain grateful.

When a day at Goodwood can be primarily class 5 and 6 punter fodder;

is racing going down hill fast?

Will the Freelance 4 ever win again?

:wink: :lol:

Thanks for agreeing to take our questions Mike, particularly when you’ve come in for some criticism from some who don’t appreciate your racing knowledge.

With so many true racing enthusiasts switching to RUK and ATR;

has there been a concious decision to dumb Channel 4 Racing down?

To try and attract non-racing viewers.

Thanks

Mark

value is everything

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Hello Mike.

I would like to know what is your routine when doing a commentary assignment?

doublethetrouble
    doublethetrouble
    • Total Posts 233

hi mike
    have you thought about calling it a day.and do something different .and if so what would it be

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Which is your favourite racecourse in UK to visit while not working? Whay one thing would you do to gt people more into racing? Thanks Mike.

Cav
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4761

Hi Mike

Racing author, Sean Magee some years ago wrote of UK racing journalism…

If the racing press is indeed becoming more independent-minded, it is not before time. For too long, reporting events on the Turf relied on a culture of dependency rivalled only by the media coverage of fashion and of motoring. In horseracing, journalists can operate only if the participants – owners, trainers, jockeys, and it is not unknown for a scribe desperate for an angle to interview the horse – are willing to communicate with them. Break that connection, and the major source of stories dries up.

Racing hacks are often accused – most volubly by one of their own number, John McCririck – of being supine and not sufficiently robust in pursuing stories which might cast a jockey or trainer in a bad light. There is a personal as well as a professional basis for this: if you get on the wrong side of that jockey or trainer, he is hardly likely to tip you the wink when his horse is expected to win – or, every bit as important, expected not to.

That was published in 2004. Not much has changed in the intervening period in my opinion. At a time when racing seems to be struggling for credibility and relevance amongst the general public, do you think the sycophantic and outdated approach of many racing journalists to the modern day sport is acceptable?

Thanks

Paul

Good question Paul. However, I am not sure that things are quite the way they used to be, certainly not with the younger hacks at least. Also, certain broadcasters on the dedicated racing channels are keen never to pull their punches on certain issues and that simply would not have happened in the old days.

yeats
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2889

Hi Mike

I think something that is unique about your commentaries are that you regularly say after a few furlongs that you haven’t give such a horse "a mention yet", even in a big field. How can you possibly remember which horses you haven’t mentioned? Do you tick each horse off when mentioned or have you got photographic memory?

Have you got any experience of racehorse ownership and would you be looking at getting involved in the near future? If you did is there any particular trainers you would choose?

Cheers

yeats

Kickback
    • Total Posts 33

Hi Mike,

This has probably been touched on in other areas but do you think the massive growth of in running betting has put more pressure on commentators?

Cheers.

albrookes
    albrookes
    • Total Posts 206

Thanks everyone.

cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8758

Very many thanks to Mike for his answers. Very prompt as well Mike, thanks for that.

Some of the questions were duplications of previous ones so if your question hasn’t got anything in blue behind it then it’s because it was very similar to something someone else asked earlier.

More Q&As to come soon.

Thanks again Mike and thanks to Adam for doing all the work on setting this one up and all the admin.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4532

Hi Mike

In the Racing Post recently Cornelius Lysaght was asked if he could change one thing about his life, he said he would like to be ‘a punter’. My question to you is do you consider yourself ‘a punter’ and do you think reguarly betting on horseracing gives journalists an insight and sharpness to grasping form that non-punters will never be able to?

I find that amazing that a tipster can have so little faith in their own opinion they are not prepared to back the thing themselves. Truly shocking.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25856

Hi Mike,

Will the Freelance 4 ever win again?

:wink: :lol:

Thanks for agreeing to take our questions Mike, particularly when you’ve come in for some criticism from some who don’t appreciate your racing knowledge.

Certainly have been "thereabouts" Mike, no luck at all, particularly this year, missing out to Raceform in the tie-break. Hopefully our West Berks team will be full strength next year to take you on again. Look forward to it.

Once again, thanks for doing this.

Mark

value is everything
    albrookes
    albrookes
    • Total Posts 206

No probs. Thanks for all the questions, and of course to Mike for being so generous with his time

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1298

I’m afraid racing is about to hit very hard times indeed. I can see everyday racing being exclusive to the digital channels in a few years’ time with only the special shop window days making to it C4 or the BBC.

Very worrying statement – coming from a current member of the C4 team…

wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Thanks Mike very interesting answers and prob the quickest reply i ever seen for a celebrity

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.