The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Midlands National 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Midlands National 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17050

Entries been about best part of a week, but only Hills off the mark at the moment…..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/84/uttoxeter/2020-03-14/750557

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/midlands-grand-national/winner

Few jumping out, but certainly in no rush for an early bet…..

At The Acorn – This horse really caught the eye in The Leapordstown Chase. He’ll surely be winning a big one soon, but considering connections, they’ll surely prefer it to be at Cheltenham. Either way, he’s well on my radar now, and though it would be something of a surprise if he trapped here, he’d be well up the shortlist if he did.

Ballymalin – Third in this two years ago, and he’s not been overraced since then. Hardly set the world alight since then either, but he’s in good hands for a race like this, and he’ll come here 5lbs lower this time.

Bigirononhiships – Very impressive in The Borders National, and though up a few pounds for that effort, he just has to be considered here. I thought he’d have The Eider as his main target, but he wasn’t declared, so if he ends up here, I’d be very interested. His absence from the final field for The Eider is a slight concern from an Antepost stance, but his Kelso run was impressive so very much one to consider.

Christmas In April – I really like what Tizzard has done with this horse, and he’s one I’m particularly interested in for The National Hunt Chase. I don’t know if that’s a serious target or not, but if he was missing from the Five Day Decs, I might just be tempted here. Still looks on a fair mark.

Crosspark – Ran really well in a couple of the big marathons last year, but always risky Antepost, as he’s fairly ground dependent. Possibly wants another couple of pounds shaved off, but hard to put a line through all the same.

Daklondike – If the Real Daklondike turns up, massive chance……but will he. Trainer does well here, but this one comes with obvious risks.

Donna’s Delight – Trainer does well with these types, and I like the way this one did it last time. Probably got work to do in field like this, but not hammered for last win. At this stage, I’d probably not be betting him, but might give EW opportunities on the day.

Final Nudge – I would gladly have put a line through him a week ago, but he was very good at Market Rasen, and I wouldn’t expect him to get hammered for it, considering his veteran status. High on the shortlist now, I’d give him a huge chance here.

Joe Farrell – Former Scottish National Winner, who’s two run this season, particularly at Newbury, offer plenty of encouragement. He’s still higher than his win at Ayr, but I think he ticks a lot of boxes.

Mick The Jiver – Irish raider, who I thought shaped very well in a tough Thyestes field. He’s since had a run over timber, and I reckon that off the back of that run at Gowran, he could make a real impact here.

On Tour – He’s always threatened to land a big one, and though it’s never quite happened for him, I think as he’s slipped down the Handicap, he’s retained enough ability. His run in The Veterans Final was decent, and I’d expect a big run here, off a cracking looking mark.

Rathlin Rose – Wouldn’t want it too soft, but from a yard who really target this, he’d be very interesting off the back of a dry week, especially as he’s almost back to his last winning mark.

I’m in no rush then for an early bet, and as my record in this isn’t too clever, then it makes sense to hold off. I could see myself betting any of that lot, but if I had to have two to single out right now, they would be……

Final Nudge 16’s
    On Tour 20’s

Lemons68Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 426

Three for me at this stage Bob.

Ballymalin
    Rock The Kasbah
    Potters Legend

I will bet one of them ap, but I can’t split them right now.

• Total Posts 17050

I had a long look at Kasbah, but I think he might be one for The Ultima.

Interesting all the same though if he went here.

• Total Posts 17050

Christmas In April not declared for NH Chase, which makes him even more appealing here.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4758

I still have to go to a darkened room when I think of this race Bobby :cry: :cry: :cry:

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4758

OOOOOOOOOOO GOLDEN CHIEFTAIN :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 364

Why is nicholls horse such a big price …it’s putting me off

DBRDBRDBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

So Truckers Lodge won a chase and then finished a 1 length second in the Welsh National and has only been put up 1 pound for that, that is generous. However, I’m still gonna go for Christmas in April. He really looks like a complete stayer and a bit unexposed.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4758

I have backed three in this for my sins !

DOMINATEUR at 1/1
    SE MA LAOCH 16/1
    POTTERS LEGEND at 20/1

Good Luck Guys :good: :good:

• Total Posts 17050

Only two of the original eyecatchers make it.

Joe Farrell was too big a price to ignore, while Christmas In April has went the other way, and he’s too short for me.

Joe Farrell 16’s EW 5 Places

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 320

Agree VTC. Joe Farrell is too big a price to ignore. He could round off a fabulous week for Rebecca Curtis.

Also like Prime Venture in first time headgear and Truckers Lodge has a clear chance.

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6700

Raymo I think I had PTSD after Golden Chieftan, and you had to bring him up again :wacko:

Hopefully Prime Venture can help put that last fence horror behind me (us).
    I took the 10/1 with Skybet earlier today, he will like the conditions and
    should have a good shout.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1437

Normally I’d be very keen on Christmas in April but tizzard is in horrendous form

Most of his runners at cheltenham were either tailed off or pulled up

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1252

You don’t get many Ladbroke Chase winners taking this on in the same season. I’ll have a small go at 10/1.

Joe Farrel is a massive price for one of few guaranteed stayers in the race and he’ll make it two for me.

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 165

I completely agree Peter on De Rasher Counter. I think that he’s a surprise runner here, although he actually my backup here at 10-1.

My main selection is Potters Legend 25-1 ew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.