The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mickmacmagoole

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Jamie rode this winner today. Or was it yesterday?Check the form. O’Donnell makes Tony and Barney look like pikers.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Was it really so surprising?<br>Since his very easy banded race win 18 months ago, the horse has had just one flat outing. <br>Sent off at 33/1 for a much better race, the horse ran well, beaten less than 6l in sixth place, and attracted the following comments in the RP:

form: Held up, progress early straight, moderate 8th 1 out, ran on.<br>analysis: Mickmacmagoole was keeping on over the final furlong and a half. This was his first run on the Flat since he struck twice on the all-weather towards the end of 2005 and this outing will have sharpened him up.

Sent back to these shores for a much more modest target, over a distance his last run suggested would improve him, and carrying only 4lbs more actual weight, the horse was duly well supported, and recorded his 3rd win from just 6 races in this country.<br>Now, I’m not suggesting that I backed the horse – didn’t even look at the race till I saw this post – or that the horse has always been run entirely on its merits, but hardly feel that it is enough of a occasion to merit the blazing headline it has received on this forum.<br>I am all for racing being run honestly, but at the same time, I do believe this forum recently is being turned into ‘Son of Betfair’ by the number of posts sensationalising such everday happenings often inspired, one feels, by the author’s own ineptitude and chagrin at backing a loser.

Is this really a route we wish this forum to go down?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Hardly surprising since the horse started fav.My point being that when backed he wins when not backed he does not . Somebody knows when he is going to end up down the field.Is that not what Barney gets stick for?<br>Hardreet I love your line "over a distance his last run suggested would improve him". Leaves unsaid so much more than it says.Please forgive a blazing headline.They say beauty can be in the eye of the beholder.

nore
    • Total Posts 151

But is O’Donnell not actually another ‘front’ for Barney?

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Record when favourite and when ridden by Spencer reads: 111 (3-3). I’ve bumped into one two conspiracy theorists who reckon Seamus G O´Donnell doesn’t actually do the training but I’m sure that’s just sour grapes on their part.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

The most annoying thing about the whole affair is that almost everyone calls the horse "Mickmacmagoogle". It’s getting on my tiits :biggrin:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

It’s hard to believe we have threads such as this, yet races like the 8.15 at Pontefract tonight are allowed to pass without comment???<br>No; I didn’t even consider having a bet, but surely this was a bigger robbery than many of the above supposed thieves and villans would ever contemplate???<br>Mount Etoile, a proven 12f horse, is allowed to coast around behind a steady pace over 1m, put into the race in the short Pontefract straight, and given a couple of cosmetic strikes with the whip after the race had already been gifted to a genuine miler. The horse was beaten a short head, yet any effort to make a little more use of his proven stamina wouild surely have seen a different result???<br>Apart from a half-hearted attempt by Willo to question the vigour of the ride, it is accepted without question, yet the 15/8 2nd favourite could almost certainly have had the race on a plate had the intention been anywhere near serious.<br>How on earth can this sort of run, from a leading stable and a top jockey be accepted, when all hell is let loose for the lesser sins of those lower down the scale? <br>The few bob that O’Donnell, Curley, etc, filch from the punter’s pocket are totally insignificant in the light of the cost of the nationwide larceny regularly perpetrated in this manner, but no one bothers to even ask why? <br>Maybe it is just who the horse is trained and ridden by?????:o <br>

carlislecarlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Hi reet hard

I agree with you that all manner of skulduggery goes on.<br>However, a short head defeat is cutting it too fine.  Also it was a Listed race for £19K.  What was the motive for the crime?

What did M Hills have to say for himself…… all red faced, so he was.

byefrom<br>carlisle<br>

(Edited by carlisle at 8:08 am on June 12, 2007)

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 252

I agree with Reet on this one. At least with O’Donnell and Martin you get what it says on the box — when the money is down and the market tells you so, then you have a good pointer. (As evidenced again last night at Roscommon with the large plunge on Mr A J Martin’s successful gamble).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Quote: from carlisle on 8:06 am on June 12, 2007[br]Hi reet hard

I agree with you that all manner of skulduggery goes on.<br>However, a short head defeat is cutting it too fine.  Also it was a Listed race for £19K.  What was the motive for the crime?

What did M Hills have to say for himself…… all red faced, so he was.

byefrom<br>carlisle

<br>(Edited by carlisle at 8:08 am on June 12, 2007)<br>

Carlisle

The problem wasn’t betting related, except for the hundreds of poor saps who supported this horse, expecting it to be run on its merits rather than being trained on the course for a different target.<br>

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Reet

I’ve got no sympathy for anyone that expects a Group 2 winning daughter on Montjeu, who proved best last season at 12f+ to be teed up and ready to run to her best in a listed race on her reappearance over a trip she has never run over.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from hoofhearted on 8:46 am on June 12, 2007[br]I agree with Reet on this one. At least with O’Donnell and Martin you get what it says on the box — when the money is down and the market tells you so, then you have a good pointer. (As evidenced again last night at Roscommon with the large plunge on Mr A J Martin’s successful gamble).<br>

What did you make of the Martin 1,2 at Perth the other day, "who farted". The runner up Missgoodytwoshoes form was far superior than Northern Alliances, in fact Northern Alliance had no form at all, beaten country miles everytime, how much punters dough went into the satchels on course, across the counter in every bookmaker shop in Britain & Ireland, and on the exchanges. Millions of course !, very few punters  profited, Martin and his cohorts, certainly did.<br>Yes when Ruby is booked for a Martin horse with no form, its worth keeping an eye on, but what happened at Perth leaves a sour taste.<br>Incidently did the Perth stewards ask him about the miraculous turn around in form ??. Of course he would spout out any old drivel, which the stewards usually except.<br>There must be away to stop this carry on, its gone beyond a joke, Martin is laughing at the authorities.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Quote: from davidjohnson on 10:30 am on June 12, 2007[br]Reet

I’ve got no sympathy for anyone that expects a Group 2 winning daughter on Montjeu, who proved best last season at 12f+ to be teed up and ready to run to her best in a listed race on her reappearance over a trip she has never run over.

Maybe not dj, but the fact she went off a short-priced 2nd fav shows she wasn’t unbacked by a good few, and they had every right to expect a proper ride for their money.<br>Or is integrity only important when it’s Barney’s horse?

(Edited by reet hard at 12:52 pm on June 12, 2007)

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

Mount Etoile and Expensive apart that race was not deserving of listed status.<br>Mount Etoile had 20lb’s + in hand of 3 of the other 4 runners (the Cumani horse is probably a little flattered by its rating) and connections probably felt she could get away with it against that quality of opposition over that trip,she was certainly entitled to do so and nearly did.<br>Mind u Passion Fruit might have caused a shock and beaten them both if it had a jockey on board instead of good old muppet McKeown.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

How about Ruby and Tony? Remember the ould song "You can tell a man who booses …….."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.