The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Meydan Thursdays 2020

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Meydan Thursdays 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 599 total)
  • Author
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9291

Welcome to 2020 Thursday 2nd January which sees a return to Dubai and the beginning of the races leading up to the Dubai World Cup in March run on dirt and turf. Just thought I would put up a few choices each Thursday and hope that those of you who are longing for the start of the flat or just love flat racing would like to contribute to the discussion.

Meydan – Thursday 2nd January

2.30 – UAE Thousand Guineas Trial – Fillies (7f – Dirt)
    FINAL SONG
    – I saw this filly in both her last runs at Newmarket which were Group 2 level and remember thinking that she is definitely work in progress being on the small side and hope she has grown a little whilst in Meydan in stature and ability. She ran a decent race being 3rd to Raffle Prize on good/soft on the Rowley Mile and last time out although 6th to Rose Of Kildare over 7furlongs good/firm, however…
    when it was obvious she was not going to win she was gently handled so think we can ignore that last run.

3.05 – 5f Handicap (Turf)
    Being a great fan of A Momentofmadness I am loath to leave him out of the equasion but drawn 11 he is going to have to be quickly away in this 5 furlong dash.
    This race could be just the ticket for ALMANAARA (drawn 1) ridden by Dane O’Neill Almanaara has always been there or there abouts at the 5 furlong mark but has always been found lacking at the end of his races. Trying 5 furlongs for the first time could see him in the winners enclosure tomorrow.
    MUTARAFFA is his main danger and although drawn 12 he is a front running horse and with a quick start can’t be ruled out.

Almanaara _WIN
    Mutaraffa-EW
    A Momentofmadness
    Combination Forecast

3.40 – 1m 1f 110y Handicap (Dirt)
    SENDEED – WIN

Looking no further than this horse…
    Beaten Favourite last time out Sendeed is proven at the distance and ultra consistent.
    Piece of History is yet to win over the distance and badly drawn but does have form on the AW.

4.15 – 7f Listed Handicap (Turf)
    DUBAI LEGACY – WIN

Is a horse that I followed last season and he won a Class 2 at Newmarket on the Rowley Mile last time out beating Spanish City. He is a classy individual and I’m confident he can win this.
    Major Partnership caused a 33/1 upset at Meydan last February.

4.50 -6f – Group 3 (Dirt)
    IBN MALIK **NAP** – WIN

Class and ability will see this boy in the winners enclosure again. :heart:

5.25 – 1m4f Listed Handicap (Turf)
    PABLO ESCOBARR *NB*
    :heart:
    Love this big white faced colt who beat Loxley at Kempton last time out over the distance in a Class 1 Listed race. He’s a real battler and will fight back with every ounce of his being if eyeballed. Can see himself and Mountain Hunter fighting out the finish tomorrow. Mountain Hunter was beaten a nose by Loxley last time out.

Pablo Escobarr – WIN
    Mountain Hunter
    Reverse Forecast

Looking forward to this and seeing how they all fair which should shed a little light to future Thursdays at Meydan and an exciting finish to the Festival on Super Saturday and onwards to the World Cup.

Jac
    :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9291

Note to Bobby/Mods…quite happy if you think this Thread would be better in Daily Lays and Plays section. It will be a weekly small blog but I might add a few Godolphin horses running elsewhere as tips up to the Dubai World Cup Final…sorry I didn’t think about that initially…see how it goes..Jac :rose:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9291

Thanks Bobby I think this sits more comfortably here.
    First time I’ve had a DLAP slot so fingers well and truly crossed..Jac :good:

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17032

No worries Jac.

Definitely the right place for it. I doubt it, but I’ll try to add the odd one if I see anything.

Good luck with the thread (I’ll edit out those earlier posts in next few hours)

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9291

Calculating all bets at £2 Win or £2 EW where stated and Forecasts £1 reverse forecast and £1 combination forecast.(£6).

TOTAL STAKE at Meydan for 2nd January – £24
    :good:

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1402

Have had a little play at meydan myself

Down on da bayou in the first and drafted in the 4:50

Good luck with your selections

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

2.30. I have to agree with you in the 1st race Jac, Final Song 100/30 WH would have
    been my choice in the Godolphin competition if they had bothered to include her
    in the list. I’ll maybe also have a bit of e/w on Hamama at 16/1
    also with Hills

3.05. He might be old enough to be the dad of most of them in here (grandad with some),
    but I think that Caspian Price 6/1 with Bet365 might just steal a march on them and
    he might just not come back to them. He’s gone a good while without a win but he has
    been competing in decent races. I can’t see Michael Appleby (also part owner of the
    horse) sending the old boy over here just to get the sun on his back

3.40. I have quite a fancy for Above Normal and had a decent punt with Bet365 at 10/1.
    I think in his recent runs over 7f and 1m he has been doing all his best work at the
    finish and this extra distance should get the best out of him.

4.15. Taamol 13/2 WH won nicely last time out and I don’t think the 6lb extra will
    inconvenience him. He’s nicely drawn and Jim Crowley should be able to get out and keep
    a decent position.

4.50. Gladiator King 12/1 Bet365 has some nice form in the US and at 4 he could
    have more improvement in him than most here. I like Barzalona as a jockey and although
    not drawn that well I hope he can get out smartly, as he normally does, and hold a
    position.

5.25. I think Universal Order 10/1 Bet365 looks really interesting in this. He
    has won 3 out his last 5, and of the other two he was a bit unlucky at Newmarket when
    he ran into a bit of trouble before running on again for 3rd. The other perhaps stretched
    him too much over 1m 6f and he tired at the end. David Simcock is good with middle distance
    types and over 1m 4f here I think he has every chance.

Best of luck Jac and anyone else having a go here :good:

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    • Total Posts 21546

My Step Son (jbale) is over there this week and is taking this in
    lucky sod

Good luck with the thread Jac…. :good:

Member since March 2008
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9291

@FinalFurlong91
    Best of luck with your two choices today FF they both look in with good chances especially the Doug Watson trained Drafted. :good:

@BigG
    Hoping Final Song has done a bit of growing and does the business for us in the first Graham, she was definitely looked after in her last race as obviously they had plans for her future.
    In the 3.05 your choice Caspian Prince has certainly danced the dances with some good horses. This is the hardest race of the day for me with old fav MOM runnning but Almaanara stole my heart when I was lucky enough to go to Meydan last March, he is a stunnning grey and just think this try at 5f could pay off especially with that 1 draw.
    Good luck with your other runners Graham will be watching with interest especially the last, I’ll be at the Chelmsford evening meeting today only my 3rd visit since it opened but the card looks reasonable so I’ll have to check Racing Post for the results from Meydan. :good:

@NathanHughes
    Thanks for your good wishes Nathan, I think I’m going to need them.
    Hope your stepson jbale has a fantastic time at Meydan it really is a place like no other and I will never forget my visit last year.

Good luck with all your bets really looking forward to this first Thursday and hope to return a profit.

Forgot to mark up the prices I took on those horses last night so will mark up my score at SP this time. :wacko:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9291

Off to Chelmsford this afternoon and an interesting Godolphin newcomer in the last (7.30)

Al Maysan – 5/1
    £2 Win

Reverse Forecast
    (£2 staked)
    Al Maysan
    Line of Enquiry

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1402

Well done on final song

I was counting the money in my head on down on the bayou as I was only looking at the front two

Then I saw the horse in blue flying late

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    • Total Posts 21546

Great start with Final Song, Jac… :yes:
    I put her up on Darrens 2 y/o thread after her debut
    but I seem to have left her out of the Godolpin comp. :rose:

Member since March 2008
    BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

She wasn’t in the Godolphin competition Nathan, so you didn’t miss out. They
    have made a bit of a pig’s ear of the competition so far which was why I’ve
    waited for next week to pick my stable. Anyway, i can’t complain as I’ve started
    with a winner, and well done Jac too :good:

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

Well done Jac with Almanaara, that’s 2 out of 2 for you :good:
    No complaints with Caspian Prince, he ran his traditional brave race.
    I should have done him in the f/c with yours :unsure:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9291

More than happy with Final Song and Almaanera. :yahoo: a great start but what a finish for Graham with the last two winners at terrific odds. :good:
    I really thought Pablo Escobarr was home and hosed and then Universal Order just flew past, great pick and so right about David Simcock.

I’m still at Chelmsford and hoping Al Maysan will get me a winner in the last.

Carry on putting in the winners and we could all be millionaires by Dubai World Cup day. ;-)
    Jac

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 599 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.