The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

master minded has got one so why not denman?

Home Forums Horse Racing master minded has got one so why not denman?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

at this years open meeting there will be a new 2mile conditions chase and it should feature the champion chaser master minded having a prep for the tingle creek,if this new race had not come about master minded would have to had lump top weight in a handicap so well done chetenham.
    but what about denman? back in 2005 a new grade one race started at haydock that was set up to give the 3mile galloping types a grade one race,this would have been right up denmans street except of course haydock dug up its lovely chase track and now has trolly fences round a track that resembles a cycling velodrome.
    so where can denman run this autumn given that haydock is of no use now? looks like hes going to have to lump top weight in the hennessy again.
    unless a forward thinking course can come up with a sutible conditions chase for denman and others chasers of his type.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

He could run for 300k+ if they wanted to at a nice big, left handed track. Alas PN doesn’t seem overly keen on running the horse pre-December :wink:

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

After his first run, he’ll surely go Lexus, Aon, Gold Cup, won’t he??

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3329

The new 2M conditions race at Cheltenham is called the Connaught Chase.

Paul Nicholls yard is sponsored by a company called Connaught.

Probably a coincidence ……..

But it does suggest that if he wanted a race for Denman, one would appear!

AP

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

at this years open meeting there will be a new 2mile conditions chase and it should feature the champion chaser master minded having a prep for the tingle creek,if this new race had not come about master minded would have to had lump top weight in a handicap so well done chetenham.

In my opinion, Cheltenham deserve a kick in the b***ocks, not a pat on the back.

What’s wrong with Master Minded carrying top weight in a handicap?

Plenty of great horses have used handicaps as a stepping stone to the Tingle Creek. Desert Orchid lumped top weight round on his seasonal bow en route to Sandown and didn’t Voy Por Ustedes run in a Handicap at Cheltenham the season after his Champion Chase triumph?

What’s wrong with the Haldon Gold Cup? Edredon Bleu gave plenty of weight away when he won the race in 2002 / 03 and the event was considered good enough for Twist Magic last year.

This sort of thing takes the romance out of racing. What would you rather see, Master Minded carrying top weight and giving weight to good horses, or beating a similar calibre of opposition in a boring, five runner no contest?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3329

Actually, back when Desert Orchid used to run in the Tingle Creek, that race ws also a handicap, in which he regularly carried 12 stone.

But the point is well made and it’s hard to think of any horse outside the Nicholls yard that is likely to take on Master Minded in this race, even though the champion will have a 10lb penalty for his Grade 1 wins.

AP

Euro
    • Total Posts 403

What’s wrong with Master Minded carrying top weight in a handicap?

Exactly. This horse leaves me a bit cold to be honest, he lacks the star appeal of Kauto and Denman. Carrying a huge weight in a handicap would help.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

I’ve never got why a top jumps horse has to give away weight but a top flat horse doesn’t.

I don’t hear people saying "they have to run Sea The Stars in the Cambridgeshire to prove he’s a top horse and can give weight away".

The weight problem doesn’t wash. Would be more concerned that they’re putting on yet another high class Chase at Cheltenham. Why not run it on the same day as the Becher at Aintree?

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

at this years open meeting there will be a new 2mile conditions chase.

Oooooooooooh!!!!! :D

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

….how is Flipper these days, Darren?

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

….how is Flipper these days, Darren?

….is the correct answer!!! :D

He’s only had one run since Kempton due to his tendon problems. He ran in the Hamburg Lake Race last month when not really fit, and although he swam really well and led for a good portion of the race, lack of fitness showed in the end and he finished a well beaten second. Might not sound too bad – there were only two finishers though!!!

To be honest, I’m not sure how he is at the moment, but this race at Cheltenham could be just bang on – IF he is fit! I’m not sure of the prize money at this Cheltenham race, but I’ll certainly mention it to Christian and maybe if Flipper is fit, you might see him in November!!

I don’t know of any video footage of the Lake Race, but here’s a nice photo of Flipper (far side) with eventual winner Bernaar (orange colours) just leaving the lake:

http://www.abendblatt.de/multimedia/arc … 28143c.jpg

And here’s Flipper with Jan having his trial through the lake (all horses have to do this prior to the race):

http://www.rennstall-recke.de/upload/me … 20014a.jpg

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

We are of course speaking of Flipper the Brave who WAS prepared to take on the mighty Master Minded and probably gave him the biggest fright of his life…..[albeit without his jockey!]…..

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3329

Darren,

These are the race conditions :

TO CLOSE BY NOON ON NOVEMBER 9TH
    Weights published on November 10th
    Declarations to run must be made by 10.00a.m. on November 13th
    THE CONNAUGHT STEEPLE CHASE (CLASS 2)
    Total prize fund £50000
    Distributed in accordance with Schedule (F)9.5.4
    (Includes a sixth prize)
    £31310 to the winning horse
    The second to receive £9250, the third £4625, the fourth £2315,
    the fifth £1155 and the sixth £580

for five yrs old and upwards
    about TWO MILES
    £250 stake
    Weights: 11st each
    Mares allowed 7lb
    Penalties, after September 30th, 2008, a winner of a Class 3
    weight-for-age steeple chase or a Class 2 handicap steeple
    chase 4lb
    Of a Class 2 weight-for-age steeple chase or a Class 1 handicap
    steeple chase 6lb
    Of a Class 1 weight-for-age steeple chase 10lb
    (Half penalties for wins achieved in novices’ and beginners’
    steeple chases in Great Britain and Ireland)
    The breeder of the winner, if qualified under Rule (F)123,
    will receive a Breeder’s Prize

AP

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Cheltenham continues to devour all around it I see. Roll on the 5-day festival and Saturday Gold Cup. :roll:

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

I have no problem seeing a champion being eased into a campaign rather than have it face a stiff challenge less than half a year from the festival.

The Haldon Chase is a good starter for up and comers to show their credentials and for former champions to have a last hurrah.

Besides, if he must have an early season race, Denman has the Charlie Hall.

Never Nearer
    • Total Posts 98

Cheltenham continues to devour all around it I see. Roll on the 5-day festival and Saturday Gold Cup. :roll:

Including a handicap chase over 4 miles and 1 furlong called something snappy like the South West Midlands Grand National?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.