The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mark Johnston – Out of Form ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Mark Johnston – Out of Form ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

34 consecutive losers over the last few days, and perhaps slightly worringly for his followers, his last 5 runners have only beaten 2 home between them.
    I understand that you may expect his winning ratio to drop during a meeting like Glorious Goodwood but I wouldn’t particularly be lumping on one of his at the moment

deltaman
    • Total Posts 191

I sometimes wonder about where he sends his runners Re:"Don’t bet on a 3yo until July is out" he sent one to Ffos Las yesterday came 2nd. :?

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Don’t worry if he gets a couple of winners from his next thirty runners someone is bound to say he is red hot.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26580

Namibian won on the first day and Fox Hunt might well of done so had the pace been different in the Goodwood Cup. I would not call it that bad, but not good either. It’s Richard Fahy horses I’d be more worried about at the moment. Been a few that have run well, but over fifty runners since his last winner.

value is everything
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

I agree totally Ginge
    Mind you Mr Johnston is up to 0 out of 40 after tonight.
    Having said that, a couple did run into places, so the form may not be as bad as I originally thought, although they may not have been in the most competitive events either

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

He’s finally broken his losing un at 49 with an odds on winner at Lingfield

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Great news, and that probably only got home because the second took too long to get going.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

And he is still struggling now. Ever thought about giving the horses a rest?

Despite what the commentators may suggest very few of his horses maintain a progression through the season. The juveniles started a little better than last season but virtually all of the early winners already look regressive.

deltaman
    • Total Posts 191

Not much wrong with Juke Box Jury today in France

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

A really taking performance I thought, and also an excellent ride from Callan.
    They appear to have a really ambitious international Group 1 programme planned for him.
    I am still a little concerned about the form of the yard however as again the win comes on the back of 20 consecutive losers

RubyisgodinthesaddleRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1155

Vastly overated Trainer.

Wouldn’t give him a horse if i was a owner.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

And now we have 7 winners I think it is in 4 days.
    And virtually everything sent to Ireland wins.
    Credit where credit is due, but I find their runners a mystery, as I do the riding arrangements

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

And virtually everything sent to Ireland wins

He has a good record at Dundalk because of the layout of the track. A turning track with a short run-in suits horses who like to be on the pace as 99% of Johnston’s do. Below Zero won at Leopardstown recently exploiting the same style and it also helps explain why Johnston has a decent record at Chester.

His tactical intransigence and (in my opinion) the over-racing of his horses are detrimental to his record. Another point is how many Johnston runners do you notice getting pulled out because of the ground? Not many – they seem to race regardless – which cannot be beneficial to the horses concerned.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2921

His tactical intransigence and (in my opinion) the over-racing of his horses are detrimental to his record. Another point is how many Johnston runners do you notice getting pulled out because of the ground? Not many – they seem to race regardless – which cannot be beneficial to the horses concerned.

You’re suggesting that all the above are negatives when in fact they are positives in my book.
    He is not running his stable for the benefit of punters, it is run for the benefit of his owners and himself.
    If you look at the in running prices of his horses using the tactics you refer to you will see they trade at significantly under the odds once the race starts thus improving their chances, if you don’t believe this is the case you should be laying them heavily once the race starts.
    As we are talking here mainly of handicappers why pull them out because of the ground? It costs hundreds in transport costs and a small fortune to have one in training for paltry returns. If a poor run does follow on unsuitable ground you should have a subsequent drop in the handicap to compensate.
    Horses win nothing stood in their stable, Johnston does a good job for his owners imo.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Obviously, I agree with Librettist’s point as it is one I have made on previous Johnston threads.

I don’t think the trainer is being particularly ‘clever’ I think it is simply a case of have horse will run. Even if you take the opposite view you have to consider that running a horse every few days on ground it doesn’t appreciate will eventually have a detrimental affect.

As for owners, outside of the Arabs, I am not sure how many other owners are attracted by Johnston’s approach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.